One & Done: Only child

Asking for good JuJu- Updated in OP

edited November 2014 in One & Done: Only child

So I have been lazily job searching since H and I decided to divorce.  I love my job and where I work, but because I live in a very HCOL area, my current salary + child support (which I am not yet getting-- divorce is not yet final) will still have me struggling. 

I currently work in NYC and live in a suburb of Manhattan, so I have a hectic daily commute via public transportation, but I have been willing to deal with that because NYC is the best place for me to be for my industry.

However, something has come up-  a job oppurtunity close to home (maybe a 25 minute drive-- so no more train), same industry, similar position, and best of all a significant salary increase.  I have my initial meeting interview in about 30 minutes here in the city (found the listing thru a recruiter that specifically works with the fashion industry) and then my actual interview with the company tomorrow at 9am.

Any positive juju, good wishes thoughts will be appreciated.  I will update in a bit.

Sorry this got sort of long, but I felt like I had to give some background.

So the interview went really well, and I was offered the job on the spot, but it's a one year temp position, with only the possibility of it turning perm.  I told the interviewer that I needed the long weekend to think about it, but the reality of my situation makes accepting very risky, so I am 95% sure I am going to turn it down.  I sent a nice thank you email to both the recuriter and interviewer, so should something similar but permanent come up maybe they will think of me.

Thanks for all the Juju-- it did seem to work

:x

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

Re: Asking for good JuJu- Updated in OP

• Good luck!
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• Best of luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Sending you all of the good juju!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • Awesome!  Is it outside of Manhattan then?

• eyenigh said:
    Awesome!  Is it outside of Manhattan then?
    Yes!  It's on the island
    :D

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Good luck with the interview!!
  • Kld2014 said:
    Good luck, rock that shit! :bz
    Did my emoji thur into as bee? I swear it was this \m/ when I put it on!
    Ha!  That's so weird!

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Wishing you lots of luck!!
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Congrats on the job offer! That's too bad it seems like you're going to have to turn it down. Did it seem like the possibility of the position becoming permanent seemed really iffy? Sometimes I think that's just something employers say upfront, but once the year's nearing an end they find a way to keep you on if they really like you.
  • Congrats on the job offer! That's too bad it seems like you're going to have to turn it down. Did it seem like the possibility of the position becoming permanent seemed really iffy? Sometimes I think that's just something employers say upfront, but once the year's nearing an end they find a way to keep you on if they really like you.

It was hard to say.  The company is really growing, but she didn't want to make a promise.  Without saying the name of the product they produce outright, they manufacture those sort of pricey rain boots that everyone's been wearing the last 2 years or so (rhymes with "schmunter").

I think I could do a good job, and I would take it if either I was single with no kids or if I was going to stay married (so second income).  But too risky as a single mama, I think.

Ah well!  Maybe it's not the right time.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Way to go on the job offer but I'm sorry that it's not going to work out.  FX that you will find something perfect soon!

My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Ugh, that sucks. It's great you got the offer but such a bummer that you can't accept. At least you know you've got the goods.

• Congratulations on the offer even though it wasn't the right fit.
  • congratulations! we really wanted to work with Schmunters at my last company but never really got past the Initial conversation.

I don't blame you for not taking the position, but a year is a loooong time and you could probably start laying the foundation for a permanent position around 6 mo in. ?
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"