Cloth Diapering
Options

Stink?

Diaper geniuses, I need your help! So I just switched up my wash routine for BG. I used to wash a full cycle on warm with a tiny tiny bit of Tide (about 60 min), and then another full cycle on hot with a little more Tide and with the extra rinse button pressed (another 60 min). We have an HE machine, and I always use the large/bulky setting and highest "soil" level for max water. I just discovered a pre-wash button on the washer, so I started doing just one wash with warm water, Tide filled up to the 1 on the scoop, and with the pre-wash and extra rinse buttons pressed (1hr 24min). This new routine seems to do a better job getting the poop out of the elastic folds than the first routine (even after spraying)... but now I'm noticing that the clean diapers smell weird... not really bad, but almost a little sweet?
Am I doing something wrong? Could I be doing something better?
Thanks!!

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
**Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
"Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage

Re: Stink?

• Options
    Mine also had a sweet smell when the soap didn't rinse out all the way.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    I would also ditch the bulky setting and I also wonder if it's from not all the detergent rinsing out.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree the Bulky setting might not be the right one to use. Do you have a Heavy Duty setting rather than a Bulky setting? If not then Cotton/Normal is the way to go. The other thing I seem to remember, when I had a Bulky setting, was that I think it turned the laundry less, so that water could move through fabrics more via soaking rather than agitation. It's really for things like pillows and comforters.
  • Options
    I'm still a newb but from what I've read you need to be careful using the pre-wash setting as part of the cycle because it may not drain all of the water.  It might be better to do a separate quick wash first if you have that option so you can make sure all of the water drains.  You should check out the Fluff Love & CD Science facebook page.  I've been reading up trying to prepare for my first baby and there is tons of info on that page.

Worst. Advice. Ever.
    Well, using an actual rinse instead of the prewash is good advice.  The rest?  Appalling.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    freezorburnfreezorburn member
    edited November 2014
    I'm still a newb but from what I've read you need to be careful using the pre-wash setting as part of the cycle because it may not drain all of the water.  It might be better to do a separate quick wash first if you have that option so you can make sure all of the water drains.  You should check out the Fluff Love & CD Science facebook page.  I've been reading up trying to prepare for my first baby and there is tons of info on that page.

Worst. Advice. Ever.
    Well, using an actual rinse instead of the prewash is good advice.  The rest?  Appalling.
    Aw, give her a break. She's new. Maybe she hasn't yet come across our past discussions about FLCDS. 

@katydid2014, as with all things on the Internet, take it with a grain of salt and use your common sense. There is some good stuff in that FB group, but there are also some recommendations that lead people to ruin their diapers. Plus they have a weird culture of shaming people who don't agree with some of their opinions on what a good detergent is. Among other things.
  • Options
    SmallllminSmallllmin member
    edited November 2014

lbs2012 said:
    The bulky setting never worked for me. Too much water to provide proper agitation IMO. I'd try a Cotton/Normal cycle. On my machine the water plus doesn't add too much water so I'd play around with that too as you tweak your routine.
    Thanks you guys. I tried Warm, Normal, Heavy Soil, Water Plus, No detergent... and then a second cycle of Tide to 1, Hot, Normal, Heavy Soil, Extra Rinse... and I think I finally found a wash routine that works! :)

ETA: It just took like three hours to finish... but I guess that's better than stinky diaps.

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
    **Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
    "Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"