August 2015 Moms
Options

Other's Reactions

How did your husband/wife/life-partner/BFF respond to the news? Is anyone holding out to tell their SO in a special way? Anyone already told their families/close friends? Have ideas on how you want to tell your families or friends?

Re: Other's Reactions

• Options
    arimaytheaarimaythea member
    edited November 2014

Right now, only DH knows.  I was planning to be cute about telling him with a gift but he heard me crying in the bathroom when I saw the positive test.  Oh well :)

If the results of our second round of betas turn out well, we plan to tell both sets of parents/siblings over Thanksgiving weekend.  We're both really close with our parents - they know that we are seeing an RE and were planning to start medicated cycles this month.  They would also be our support network if something goes wrong, but hopefully we won't need to worry about that. We have bibs to give them that say things like "I love my grandma" and "Cool like my uncle" - this will be the first grandchild for both sides.   

We don't plan to tell any other family or friends until closer to the end of first tri. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

TTC #1 since November 2013
    BFP #1 EDD August 2, 2015
  • Options
    I didn't do anything special. Just text a picture of the positive test. He complained the line wasn't dark enough lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a baby card and a onesie lying around that were supposed to go to someone else but I never got around to sending them. I waited until DH got home from work and presented him with the card and onesie. He.Was.Shocked! Neither of us thought this was going to work without serious intervention. I also told two co-workers whom I trust because I work in a high-stakes job and I might need secret help if I get sick. I also told my BFF. We would like to wait to tell family until 20 weeks. We'll see how it goes. Basically, we are only telling people who can support us in the event that this doesn't go as we hope.

TTC since Sept. 2013
    09/14: New anterior 3cm Fibroid on U/S, no change in size 11/14
    10/14: SA normal
    12/14: next RE appointment - cancelled due to BFP
    BFP on 11/21/14, EDD 08/03/15

• Options
    I told Da Hubz right away. The line was very faint, and I wanted him to verify that I saw it. He didn't get excited until the line got darker yesterday though. Both of my supervisors know because we all were TTC. 2 of my best friends know. If betas go well we're telling our parents at Thanksgiving. They know we've been seeing an RE. I collect keychains, so I bought keychains that say "I'm a grandma/grandpa." This is the first grandkid on either side. I'd like their support regardless of how this turns out.
  • Options
    My husband is having a really hard time dealing with it. He said he wanted to try and then when we got the positive he freaked and said he isn't ready for the seismic change in our relationship. I'm trying not to think about it too much and just hope he comes around after our first appointment. His mom knows (hard to keep it since she lives with us) and my best friend and sister know. Doubt we'll be telling anyone else until after Christmas. His parents and my mom/step dad are all coming to see us for NYE (they all live out of state)...maybe we'll tell them then.
  • Options
    uromysuromys member
    edited November 2014

I made MH come make sure there really was a second line on my piss stick last night. After freaking out because I told him he was holding the end with pee he reacting by telling me he didn't see anything. A playful punch and explaining that a line is a line no matter how faint we are off to get betas today.  

Not sure when we will tell the family. Waiting until we get a strong heart beat this time. My last pregnancy we announced via fortune cookie over a Chinese dinner. It was great, but made me feel worse when we found out things hadn't progressed.

edit: It's too early for words and I've only had one cup of coffee.

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• Options
    We experienced a CP last month, and I had a whole thing planned for when he came home from work, but I lost the pregnancy before I could. This time, I came down the stairs and said omg it's positive! Can you see the line?!! He was excited to see the next one yesterday get darker too.
    My mom knows because I won't get the chance to tell her in person after this week, and 1 bestie knows. Everyone's super excited after the cp. :)
  • Options
    I just asked DH if he could see the second line. I knew that I wasn't going to get the super excited/crying reaction from him and that he'd like to be included. He is thrilled though - he's just got a really even personality.

We've told my parents and sister. The in-laws and my brother will find out at Thanksgiving. I think we'll tell other family and close friends at Christmas assuming the U/S goes well. We'll be about 10 weeks at that point. Facebook, work, friends will all find out in January once we hit second tri. I hate the secrecy so I'm glad the holidays will help keep me occupied.
  • Options
    I haven't told anyone yet, including DH. I was trying to think of a good way to tell him, but may just text him the picture of the test.
  • Options

We (well, mostly DH...) have told a few close friends so far, and his dad and brother. My parents and grandma are super-controlling, so they won't be happy and I'm putting off telling them until later. And you can't tell everyone without telling the parents first, so... Dunno if I want to 'ruin' Christmas with the announcement then or if the 'joyful spirit of Christmas' will make them take the news better.

As for DH, I waited two days for the lines to get darker before I told him. I wanted to make this one more special, since the last time he knew before I did. Lol. I had discarded the test as negative and he went and looked again.

I bought a set of photo frames and a sign that said 'Our Family'. I put our two boys baby photos in two of the frames and in the third one, I made a sign that said 'Baby #3, Expected Arrival: August 1, 2015'. I told him I needed help hanging them straight, then had him hang first the sign, then our oldest picture and youngest picture, then I handed him this third one to hang right in the middle... I thought sure he would read it first, being that it wasn't even a picture, but NO! He hung it, straightened it and stepped back to ask me if it was okay!

I asked if he read it, he said m-hmm (which I know means no), I asked if he got it and he looked and read it, then did a double take and said 'You're pregnant?!'

He always wants to tell everyone right away but I don't like to, so we compromise by letting him tell a couple close people and save the big announcement until I give him the go-ahead. He told 4 friends, his dad and his brother.

• Options
    Telling DH was super boring. He knew I was testing every day, and he was just hanging around outside the bathroom holding my DS. The line was suuuuper slow to show up, but I asked him if he saw the shadow of the line, and he was like, "Umm Sure?" Eventually it filled in a bit more and I took two more and told him he had to get me a digital. I peed and we waited and then squealed and hugged and said "wow" and "I can't believe it worked!" a lot. Better than last time, when he said, "See? I told you your boobs were bigger!"

Telling my BFF was amazing because she drove over to my house and we cried and hugged and hugged and cried and then went and ate an enormous breakfast. 

I just moved away from all my family, but we are going home in two weeks for an early Christmas. I'm absolutely thrilled that I'll be able to tell everyone in person!
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I hope this isn't too big:

I surprised H with this onesie. I asked if he thought it was adorable, and then I shoved my pee stick in his face. Silly me was too distracted to realize it was dark in the room. So we turned on a light, and he asked if I was sure. We are both in shock, but so happy :)
  • Options
    DH is the only one who knows. I visited my BFF yesterday to snuggle her brand new baby and I really thought about telling her, but decided not to.

DH and I work opposite schedules and I really didn't want to tell him over the phone. So I asked him to wait up for me (I usually get home around midnight... He wakes up at 4am) needless to say he was asleep but I couldn't wait any longer after keeping it to myself all day so I woke him up and told him. He said "that's cool" and rolled over and continued sleeping. The next morning I woke up to a text that said "I had a dream you told me you were pregnant"

Hahaha oh DH! So I told him he wasn't dreaming, he asked if I took a test (why do they need to ask this???) and then he said he was happy. It was pretty anticlimactic. I still haven't really seen him since my bfp.
  • Options
    Squirrel2012Squirrel2012 member
    edited November 2014
    Right now only DH knows. We'll tell some family and close friends around Christmas, everyone in Jan/Feb.
    Telling DH was super romantic (not) - I came out of the bathroom and said get over and tell me I'm not crazy. Well, maybe next time I can be a little more creative.

Edit: to add the words that decided not to post

The little guys, Shadow and Bobby (aka Shabby)

Married: 4/14/2012
    TTC #1 since 9/14   BFP! 11/22/14  M/C 1/1/15
    Me: 31 DH: 41
    Dx: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - 2000, Lichen Sclerosus - 2013

"I'm a lady with the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor."

• Options
    DH and I have always taken the test "together" so I wanted to do something a little different this time. Ds1 and I made a sign for him and I hot glued the digi test on the paper, put a Big Brother shirt on Ds2, and surprised DH when he walked in the door from work.

Then, at Thanksgiving we surprised my mom and her BF with the news.. And then when I declined to drink wine a friend gave me a weird look so she knew.. Then DH just decided to announce to everyone at our house during Thanksgiving dinner lol I could've killed him!! Oh well :)
  • Options
    I told DH right away. I took a test at like 3:45 in the morning and went in and poked him on the sholder and said, "I think I'm pregnant." So, super anticlimactic. 

We told our immediate family at Thanksgiving. I got everyone together to take a picture, but was recording. I said, "Everyone say 'McHotts is pregnant!'" so we got their reactions recorded. I am really glad I have that now. 
  • Options
    I got a positive that morning then once we did our Christmas shopping I dropped them off and went and got my DD a "I'm the big sister" shirt. After I got home I had her put it on and go show daddy. He was in disbelief and asked if I got it just in case then I showed him the test.

We're going to try to wait till Christmas but my family likes to drink and I do as well so hopefully they won't figure it out when I go see them next week. If they don't find out I'm going to wrap DDs shirt as a present and while opening presents around all the family I'm going to have her unwrap it and show everyone.
  • Options
    I hadn't been feeling good all week and took several tests all coming back negative. I took a test early Friday morning but clearly left before reading it I got home from running errands with our lo and he was still in bed I was in the bathroom and saw the second faint line and said "oh shit!!" He said he instantly knew!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH was right there looking for a line with me so he knew we had a positive test when we had one.

A little while later though I said to him, "Wow. I can't believe it." And he said "(DW), I knew you were pregnant. I was there." :::eyeroll::: I swear I married Han Solo.

Last time my mom had THE WORST reaction EVER. So I'm not looking forward to telling her. But maybe since it's already happened once and I've told her we want another she might react better but I'm not holding my breath. Everyone else should be fun though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"