Baby Names
Options

Miles vs Myles

My son is Miles (4 weeks old so it's not changing), but it seems everyone we tell immediately asks if we spell it "Myles." Why is this?? I thought Miles was the "normal" spelling

Re: Miles vs Myles

• Options
    Miles is correct, IMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not really sure you can claim it's a victim of the recent Y in everything trend.

The graph on Behind the Name for MYLES shows it appeared in the 1880's.
    https://www.behindthename.com/top/name/myles/us?viewing=graph

That said, I actually prefer the Y spelling and will default to that one because all the Myles I know spell it with a Y, and most at now adults in their 40s.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    DH and I wondered about this too.  Since we like the nickname Milo, Miles seems to make more sense.  But when we researched it, it seems like both are valid options.
  • Options
    Yeah, it looks like Myles is just a made up variation of the name you have happily spelled correctly. I always liked the name Miles!

BabyFruit Ticker
    For Suzyq
    and all M15 Losses
  • Options
    That is really funny, we have a Miles and a lot of people asked if we spelled it Myles as well. After the first few months it never came up again, but it is weird.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    Myles just doesn't look right. Miles 100%.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Grr, BOX

Myles, with the y, seems to be the most common spelling for Myles Standish.  So since I would argue he is the most famous Myles (of any spelling) I can think of, that is probably why people default to the Myles spelling.

• Options

So, I have the same problem and my daughter's name is Lauren. I have decided it is because everyone is substituting "Y" in wherever they please when naming babies these days. We took her to the ER and it took the lady 5 minutes to get the spelling right. "Okay, "L-a-u-r-y-n?" "No. L-a-u-r-e-n". "So it's "L-a-u-r-a-n?". *sigh*

This is the sole reason why I HATE unique spellings. They create issues for people who even choose the "right" spelling.

And for clarification, I would spell it "Miles".

• Options
    EXP_626 said:
    Renisra+2 said:

So, I have the same problem and my daughter's name is Lauren. I have decided it is because everyone is substituting "Y" in wherever they please when naming babies these days. We took her to the ER and it took the lady 5 minutes to get the spelling right. "Okay, "L-a-u-r-y-n?" "No. L-a-u-r-e-n". "So it's "L-a-u-r-a-n?". *sigh*

This is the sole reason why I HATE unique spellings. They create issues for people who even choose the "right" spelling.

And for clarification, I would spell it "Miles".

DS is Mason. The first time I called to make a pedi appointment for him, the receptionist asked if it was "Mason with a y". I was confused as to whether that would be it Mayson or Masyn.
    Oh, the horror!!! Why are people doing this!?
  • Options
    I prefer your spelling choice
  • Options
    Miles looks right to me. 
  • Options
    I have friends with a Myles, and it just seems so wrong and for no reason. I like your Miles.
    TB is dead.

|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url]
    || <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Cha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"