May 2014 Moms

Cut Baby's Finger While Clipping Her Nails

i felt so horrible all day yesterday. I had successfully trimmed a few of her nails, but she squirmed at just the wrong moment and the clippers made a sound I hadn't heard before. Poor little girl was crying in pain and there was so much blood!

I rinsed her finger, put Neosporine on a bandaid and wrapped her finger up. When that one started to fall off I put a new one on without ointment and she went down for a nap in her crib. I went to get her for a feeding and the bandaid was gone! So on top of injuring my baby, she swallowed a bandaid! I'm sure we'll find it in her diaper in a few days, but I feel like the shittiest mom on the planet.

Re: Cut Baby's Finger While Clipping Her Nails

• Are you absolutely sure she swallowed it?

You aren't a shitty mom. Both the cut and bandaid was an honest mistake. I know it's hard to not kick yourself, but you acted promptly like a good mother would. If you put your kid down with a bleeding finger and said "Just deal with it!" Then, people may say that's a bad mom!
    ;)
    May 14 Jan Siggy Challenge New Years resolutions I will not keep: Saving Money
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did that in August.  We were about to have a prospective nanny come over, basically for her to see if she'd want to work for us, and I thought I should trim the baby's nails so it doesn't look like I've *totally* given up and bathing and grooming. And yeah, baby turned purple and screamed. Even so, I thought I had just pinched her. I didn't actually see blood until right before the nanny rang the doorbell, and my mom said, "Uh, you know there's blood on her sleeper?". 

So yeah, it happens. In fact that's what the nanny said when I told her -- "it happens". 
    image   image
                                                          Baby Girl born May 16, 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • You didn't cut her until now? I cut DD at like 3 weeks! Now we use baby nail scissors and I just peel her toe nails off.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I gave up on the clippers after I got DS twice with them. I now use a nail file on his fingers and I can usually manage to clip his toes when needed.
  • The nail thing happens to everybody. The band aid thing happened to me with DS. Its part of the learning curve ;) , I learned never to have him out of my sight near such things after that.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I use these clippers:
    Safety 1st Sleepy Baby Nail Clipper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001579YRM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_d5NCub0DKC69Y

So worth it! Plus now the light is super distracting to her and makes clipping even easier!

You are not a bad mom, hugs lady!
  • I'm sorry!  I know it is a sucky feeling.

If it makes anyone feel better, my sister trimmed my nieces fingers & toes, took the clippers back to the bathroom and returned to find both hands and feet bleeding.   My niece never made a peep!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • My husband tore apart the whole nursery, took the mattress out of her crib, took the crib skirt off, found and killed two spiders in the process, but no bandaid. Then he took all the cushions and pillows off the couch, since that's where she was before her nap. Nothing. At least her room is spider-free!
  • Use scissors maybe? I bought some yellow baby nail scissors on Amazon. They are great for her nail and also for cutting those annoying matted chunks of hair off.

This doesn't make you a horrible mom! I agree with pp - if you had just ignored your babe this would be a different story.

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• I've cut my baby 3 times while trimming her nails.  The damn nail clipper opening is so huge you could take off an entire joint.  Thankfully now our babysitter cuts them (home day care).  She has nail clipping day and does all the kids.  We really love her.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"