C-sections

Tubes tied during csection

This is my third and last child and since I get pregnant when my husband looks at me I am thinking of having my tubes tied. I have had issues with birth control in the past. I was going to have my husband get a vasectomy but since I am having the surgery already it seems like the logical choice. Has anyone done this? If so any additional symptoms?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Tubes tied during csection

• Thanks! Sounds like the way to go. Are there hormonal issues down the road does anyone know?
  • Hi I'm having this done as well after my c section in February next year. I have read a lot on google that people experience far heavy periods after having it done ;( ;( this will kill me I already have an issue with heavy periods!! ;( anyone else experience this or has heard of it as a "side effect"
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry last question did anyone struggle breast feeding after a tubal? Did u have any problems with milk supply?
  • I think I am not doing it, but not sure yet. I don't really know why, but I just feel WEIRD about it. I also see a lot of horror stories online about heavier periods, but of course you really shouldn't go by those! I'm sure for every online negative post there are 10 positive stories not posted. In any case, it just worries me b/c I think I'm pretty sensitive to any kind of hormonal changes (opinions vary on whether anything with hormones is actually changes by isolating the ovaries). Plus, we've been so fertile that I worry I WOULD end up with an ectopic. Although this seems crazy with me having a C-section, at this point we are leanings towards H getting a vasectomy later.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My mother had 4 c-sections then got her tubes tied and never had an issue. Her periods were lighter.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Honestly I am afraid of the IUD. I had a friend whose IUD went through her uterus and she had to have surgery to have it removed. I tend to be the outlier in situations like these and would worry something would happen. Not logical I know but here we are! But I am going to talk to my OB about all options and risks.
  • I will be having mine done in 3 days. I do personally know 2 people who had  tubal pregnancies after they had their tubes tied. One had several and the other had 1. So it does happen. SO is getting a vasectomy in addition to my tubal. He was going to have it done next week, but opted to wait till later in January because the Dr. said he would need to have lots of sex after it was done for a little bit. I am not the BJ type of girl. So he is waiting. Not like I will be up to doing it before then anyway.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • I CANT have my tubes tied after my second c/s. since my DR only has privleges at one hospital and it is considered "Catholic" so they won't allow the DR to perform the procedure, so DH and I are going to have a discussion about what is best as we said we only want to children. After 2 c/s I'm not sure I want to go through an additional surgery to have my tubes tied, so DH may be sitting on the couch with an ice pack on his crotch for a few days next year ;).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• NSYoder26 said:

I CANT have my tubes tied after my second c/s. since my DR only has privleges at one hospital and it is considered "Catholic" so they won't allow the DR to perform the procedure, so DH and I are going to have a discussion about what is best as we said we only want to children. After 2 c/s I'm not sure I want to go through an additional surgery to have my tubes tied, so DH may be sitting on the couch with an ice pack on his crotch for a few days next year ;).

My hospital is the same way, and since I am employed by said hospital, they wouldn't pay for it even if I went to a different hospital.  DH will probably be snipped when the time is right :)

• I didn't get my tubes tied so have no experience to share, but re: concerns about heavy periods and bf'ing, the procedure doesn't affect your ovaries so I'd think you'd still be producing the same hormones and shouldn't affect either of those two things.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks rayray007 that's what my doc told me too but google is a scary thing :/ but I know it makes more sense to trust the doctors :) thanks again
  • I'm all signed up for a tubal during my c-section end of this month. I figured it would be easier to just have it taken care of while they're in there anyway. Now y'all have me worried about heavy periods!
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My OB brought it up at my last appointment, which I had been reluctant to do because I'm having this baby at a Catholic university hospital and I didn't even know if it would be an option.  They will do tubals for women who have had multiple c-sections because of the risk to the mom in subsequent pregnancies, so basically for health rather than contraceptive reasons.  I doubt this would fly at more hard-core Catholic hospitals, but that reasoning works for me, and I'm at a point in terms of age and number of c-sections where I feel my health is a legitimate concern.  I am interested in other moms' experiences because I know of several guys who have had vasectomies but nobody who's had a tubal.  DH is open to getting a vasectomy, but since I'm already having surgery I figure I might as well save him the trouble if it doesn't have any effect on my recovery.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I had mine tied in April when I had my second section. It did not cause any problems with my milk supply as DD is 8 months old and still BFing just fine. My periods have not been any heavier or more painful than they were before.
  • LolaX2 said:

I had mine tied in April when I had my second section. It did not cause any problems with my milk supply as DD is 8 months old and still BFing just fine. My periods have not been any heavier or more painful than they were before.

Thank u SO SO much for sharing your experience that is awesome to know and very reassuring!! :) thank u again :)
  • I just started thinking today about getting this done, and I'm leaning toward doing it.
    my age: 40 but will be 41 in 2 months, DH 38 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • mariahd43mariahd43 member
    edited December 2014
    I too have done a lot of internet research on this (whether that's good or bad is TBD) and I'm planning to have it done during my c-section in February. It seems that most of the people online who have had negative things to say about their experiences have had the filshie clips rather than having them cut/burnt. The PP's who have had this done, which route did you go? Also, anyone who has any info to share on either procedure, please do! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am having my tubes tied during my third and final c-section in February. My doctor said it adds about 10 minutes, but the entire procedure will take about 30 minutes longer than my last c-section. She said each one takes a little longer due to scar tissue.
  • I had my tubes tied after my second section in September. I didn't notice it being a longer procedure. My recovery was a little more difficult than the first (which was a breeze), but that was mainly due to my toddler. My son is 14 weeks and we are breastfeeding great - no issues at all. My doctor told me the only side effect of a tubal is regret. So far, no regrets!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I considered a tubal during my third c/s, but my OB advised against it for me. She said that about a third of women experience longer, heavier, and more painful periods, and mine are already bad. She said the tubal doesn't really affect the length of surgery or recovery. I personally wasn't comfortable with that high of a chance of having worse periods, so we decided on a vasectomy for DH.

• I had a tubal ligation with my cs last june and I regret it.  I bf, so I have no experience yet how my periods will be (bf'ing delays menstruation), but I have had a terrible time trying to lose weight.  I am currently 20lbs over my normal weight.  I had the cs and tl after my second child....with my first baby I had a vaginal delivery, I b-fed, and I actually went under weight because ds sucked it all out of me literally!  But this time I'm having a heck of a time getting the weight off, and I've done some research on post-tubal ligation syndrome and in my opinion, it's what I'm dealing with.  If I could do-over, I wouldn't have the TL. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"