Breastfeeding
Options

Poor latch 10 months

DS suddenly has become a really sloppy nuser. I'm not taking distraction here, that's been going on for months. He's latching then quickly moving further and further off until he opens his mouth totally. Almost like he needs to breath through his mouth, except he's not stuffy and seems to be breathing fine through his nose. There's a lot of smacking, suction noises, etc., which is drawing a lot of attention in public, and the noises and sensation make my skin crawl a bit.

Any ideas why this would start suddenly and ways we can get back to a good latch?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

Re: Poor latch 10 months

• Options
    We went through this phase a few weeks ago when he started cutting more than one tooth. I always NIP but during this phase I tried to work around it until he stopped being such a lazy latcher!

We tried some very creative nursing positions when his latch was bad. The best one was if I laid on the couch and he laid on my belly. He would turn his head to the side and rest his head in my arm pit. Otherwise we would do this wierd position with him sitting in my lap facing away from me, tipped back and then latch. Sounds strange but it got us through.

Tl;dr - we tried lots of acrobatic nursing positions to get us through :) He's back to normal now!
    imageimage
    Cooper & Melody.     My Rescues <3

• Options
    Melody330 he did just cut his last incisor, and he looks whitish around the area I'd expect those first molars, so maybe it's related to moving teeth.

Sitting on your lap, facing away, tipped back, huh? I can't even imagine how that works, lol
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haha it was totally awkward at first. But now he figured out how to do it so he's almost off to the side a little and he can look out at everything and eat :)

Good luck! I hope it doesn't last long
    imageimage
    Cooper & Melody.     My Rescues <3

• Options

My LO has become a lazy latcher as well since 6 months! Now that I think about it that is when the teething started, so I really hope that's it.  I still have to prop down his bottom lip and flip the top one up like during newborn phase :/

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"