February 2013 Moms
Options

do you eat pecan pie on holidays?

My husband says this is only a southern thing...

Re: do you eat pecan pie on holidays?

• Options
    I'm in PA and I don't think I've ever had it. I don't know if other people around here eat it, but my family never has.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    Yes, I am in Maryland. Buuut, my mom's family is from the south, so maybe that is why
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, but in the south

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We serve it sometimes I'm not a fan
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Options
    I'm in NJ, we have it sometimes, but pumpkin and apple pies are the yearly staples for holiday dessert. So pecan pie is not unheard of for us, but I wouldn't consider it a tradition or anything.

• Options
    It's delicious. I usually avoid it due to calories, but I may make an exception for Thanksgiving. DH makes 3 types of pie each year for Thanksgiving and I think I may request pecan this year after this discussion!

TTC since June 2009
    BFP #1 2/22/10 M/C 6w2d
    BFP #2 October 2010 CP
    BFP #3 1/11/11 M/C 8w5d
    IUI #1 Aug 2011= BFN
    IUI #2= BFP #4 9/18/11 missed M/C, D&C 10/18/11
    IUIs #3&4 = BFN
    IVF #1 May 2012 = BFP! Twins!!

Fraternal twins born Feb. 2013

Lilypie - (X78c)

• Options
    DC2London said:

We used to.

::side eyes nut-allergic children::
    I was looking longingly at pecans today to take a pie to my mom's for Thanksgiving, but my nephew has a nut allergy (phone keeps correcting to but, lol). so I will have to wait until Christmas when they are away.

Do you ever get to eat stuff with nuts, or is it too hard?
  • Options
    Yuck! I hate pecan's ruining pie. Raisin pie and butter tarts are fantastic, any type of nuts ruin it.

I'm in Ontario and it seems pretty common here
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    No, I don't like it. But I like mini pecan tarts, I think because the crust to filling ratio is better.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes and no. We always serve pecan pie, because it's my sisters favorite. But I'm not sure which came first — her love or the tradition of serving it.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/introducing-the-inaugural-happy-pie-day-raisin-pie

I've only used my grandma's recipe but can't find it right now. Raisin pie is the best!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Born and raised in the Midwest. We have chocolate pecan pie. It's the best!
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Born and raised in the Midwest. We have chocolate pecan pie. It's the best!

My mom always says I ruin pecan pie when I put chocolate chips in it. She also makes fun of my pumpkin pie. I use graham cracker crust
  • Options
    West coast. Never had it. Never had it served.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Midwest - my dad's family always had both pumpkin and pecan pie at Thanksigiving; my mom's always only had pumpkin.  I like it but it isn't my favorite - a little too sweet for me - I'd rather have pumpkin.  Apparently my mom ate a whole pecan pie the year she was pregnant with me.  I always wondered if that is why I'm not such a huge fan of it - in vitro overload.
    Mom to 3 year-old girl and 1 year-old boy
  • Options
    So I talked to my mom and mentioned this, she said that she always grew up with pecan pie at thanksgiving — and she grew up in Wisconsin (but her dad is from Mississippi and mom from Boston.)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Gftf7Gftf7 member
    edited November 2014
    My aunt, and now her DIL, bring the pies to Thanksgiving. We've had all types, including pumpkin, pecan and chocolate pecan. Also apple, peach, cherry, French silk, etc. We have no set tradition, it's cooks choice. I guess we are "dessert diverse"!

Personally I like pecan pie, but I do need to be in the mood for the major sugar rush, followed by the sugar crash.

Forgot to add: Midwest
  • Options

https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/introducing-the-inaugural-happy-pie-day-raisin-pie

I've only used my grandma's recipe but can't find it right now. Raisin pie is the best!

@wineandcake‌ Raisin Pie sounds interesting. I made Sour Cream Raisin Pie last week for my dad's birthday (it's his favorite). It's somewhat similar. Only 1 cup raisins, that are cooked and added to a sour cream mixture, which bakes into a sweet custard-type pie. Instead if a double crust, this pie has meringue on top. I might have to give your recipe a try sometime!
  • Options
    I've had it- I love it. We are from the northeast. It is occasionally at holidays but is not a staple like pumpkin or apple pies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We always serve pecan pie. I love it. (Ohio)
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"