Formula Feeding

6 week growth spurt?

leela02leela02 member
edited November 2014 in Formula Feeding
How was everyone's experience with feeding at 6 wks? My DD is 6w3d and has kept us up tonight. She's finally been asleep now for about an hour. Earlier in the night she seemed hungry and sleepy at the same time. She would be drinking her bottle and start drifting off to sleep (without sucking), so I (or DH, we take shifts) think she's satisfied. But after a minute she wakes up and wants to drink more. I wondered if she was comfort sucking or overeating, but she wasn't spitting anything up and she wouldn't take the paci for very long. We also tried delaying giving her more formula by soothing her, but soothing only worked for a few mins and just made her crankier. I'm a FTM so it's challenging for me to read her cues when she's being extra cranky, especially since just last week she was a really great sleeper and eater and sttn. It's usually easy to tell when she's full but this week I just seem clueless. Also last night my MIL took her so DH & I can catch on sleep, and she sttn there. Maybe she just hates us? :(

Re: 6 week growth spurt?

• LOL she doesn't hate you, or at least won't hate you for long.  There were some days when my DS didn't seem to want anything to do w/ me and the next day it was back to only wanting Mommy.

Sounds like a growth spurt to me.  I'm a FTM too, and it feels like as soon as we get a routine figured out, he has a growth spurt and things change. Hang in there!

• Totally a growth spurt and the only way to deal with it is to feed the kid more often. With my DD1 one day when it hit she went from being pretty cool, happy baby to a shrieking monster, red in the face and nothing could console her other than food. I remember calling MH at work freaking out "omg I think she's sick or dying". He rushed home as fast as he could. In the mean time as a desperate measure I gave her a bottle, she gobbled it up and went straight to sleep. Fyi, it can last up to a week so just keep feeding her.
  • Loading the player...
  • leela02leela02 member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the responses!

@Encchanted She usually sleeps 2 long stretches at night, waking up once to feed. She gets about 8-10hrs sleep total. Our pedi thinks this is fine since she is gaining weight well. My SIL's kids sleep even longer (10-12hrs straight, from Day 1) so we haven't been worrying about it. LO loves to eat all day so she seems to have no problem gobbling up the calories.

@harmonicbabe26 I do just keep feeding her. Sometimes we have issues when DH is watching her because he thinks she overfeeds because she spits up small amounts here and there. So he would try everything else to make her stop fussing before feeding her. So she fusses longer and I have to tell DH to just try giving her a bottle already. I keep trying to reassure him that a little bit of spit-up is normal and not a sign that she overeats.

@mfsunshine222 Totally agree with things constantly changing. I've given up on following any strict routine at least for another week or so lol. My DD used to just eat and sleep round the clock, now she is more awake-but-not-hungry during the day so I have to figure out the best way to spend her awake time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"