2nd Trimester
Options

OB says "biggest girl in her class"

I had my 19 week u/s this week. It's a girl! We learned she's currently in the 93% percentile for her size and OB said she'll be "the biggest girl in her class..." Upon clarification, "well make not the biggest, the 2nd biggest."

It just doesn't seem to make sense since my husband and I are so average (Me 5'5" 135 lbs. Him 6'0" 195 lbs). No real "big" family members either. How could we produce such a large child? Is there a chance she could be going through a growth spurt and will slow down? Is it possible to even predict someones size as a child/adult in the womb?

I'm just worried because I know our world isn't always the nicest to "big" girls. I really wish the OB never said that. 

Anyone have a similar experience? Was your doc right?

Re: OB says "biggest girl in her class"

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    There's so much to this post I could talk about...but I'll keep it short and nice (biting tongue) and say-if the kid continues tracking big, it could be a possibility that you have GD, which commonly produces larger babies. You'll get tested for that soon anyhow. In the meantime just be grateful she's healthy.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Size in utero and even size as a baby has nothing to do with size as a child or into adulthood. My BIL and I were about the same weight when we were born. He's 6"7 and I'm 5"1.

Anniversary

• Options
    Sounds like a dumb and insensitive comment from your doctor. 

I was worried about the size of mine too last ultraound (because she was smallish, and I was concerned about under-development). Doctor said babies just develop at different rates, things can change an awful lot between now and 40 weeks, and anyway it's no indicator of how big she'll be as a child/adult.

And FYI: I was a tall kid. I'm only 5'5 now, but hit that height at the ripe old age of 9. The world wasn't mean to me at all. In fact, everyone wanted me on their team for everything sports-related. I won all kinds of trophies. It as great for my ego and really fun, until everyone else caught up in middle/high school!
  • Options
    The only thing I fear when I'm told that beta is in the 95th percentile in everything right now is my poor vagina. My husband was 10 pounds and my dad was 10 pounds, so I'm just having to do a lot of mental prep for this possible eventuality.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • Options
    When I measured big at my last two ultrasounds, my first thought was "I hope everything is ok," or "Eh, I probably have GD." Not, "Shit, am I going to have a fat kid?"
  • Options
    As everyone has said the estimates can be way off. There is nothing wrong with a big girl, or a small girl for that matter. A big baby or a big toddler does not mean a big child or adult. I was a huge baby who turned in to a tiny child and small adult. My nephew was a very skinny baby who is now over 6 feet tall at 11.5 years old. His shoulder are wider than the shoulders of many men. My cousin was under 6 lbs at birth but struggled with her weight as a teen.

I also agree with PP who said there are so many other things to think about than a girl who might be heavy.
  • Options
    I was born 10 lbs 0 oz. I was a thin kid and became an average sized adult. My husband is obese, he was born 6 lbs. trust me, if this is a real post, there is no correlation with baby size and body size.
  • Options
    DH and I were born at 6 pounds and 6 pounds 4 ounces, DS was born at 9 pounds (41 weeks 2 days) no GD. DS is a little tall. for his age but average weight for his height, nothing crazy. So far this baby is in the 25th percentile in utero. DH is 6' 3" and I'm 5'2" both of us have active body types. Wait and see, you won't know for sure until baby is born how big baby will be.
    for SuzyQ and all who have lost

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter was average height and weight when she was born but is now (and has been since about 6 months) in the 100th percentile for height- she is taller than any other kid I've met her age. My husband is 6ft, I'm 5'8 so not super tall. The in-utero growth doesn't reflect how your child is ultimately going to grow.

You said 92 percentile for size- they generally give a size and weight percentage.

Do not worry about the size of your baby in this scenario. The only important thing is that your baby is healthy.
  • Options

Am I the only one who thinks maybe the doctor was just making a joke and OP took it WAY too seriously / literally ?

This is why doctors have to talk to people like they're fucking morons. Because some of them are.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"