July 2014 Moms

Day care trying to diagnose medical problems

DS has a woman who helps out at his daycare who is a retired rn. She is the sister of the director. Since she started there every time something has come up she has tried to diagnose it (ex-bronchitis, which it wasn't, two spots close together as chicken pox, it wasn't, etc). Yesterday DS was playing in the mat area in the gym and was stepping from a higher mat to a lower one, fell twisted his foot just right and got a small break in his foot. I called his teacher to let her know and this evening I got a call from the director who called to first check on DS , which is fine, but then proceeded to tell me that since he has nurse maid elbow and now has broken a bone her and her sister have decided they think he has some kind of rare connective tissue syndrome!?! they said they knew someone who had it and they think he does too, I flipped, I said unless you have md after you name, I do not want you speculating what is wrong with him and I thought it was extremely inappropriate to suggest that he may have a syndrome. Neither DS pedi or the ortho dr, who is dual certified as a family dr as well as a ortho have batted an eye at his nurse maid elbow incidents or this. What's a nightmare! Anyone else experience this in their day care? How did you handle it? What should I do?

Re: Day care trying to diagnose medical problems

• Agreed. Someone with MD behind their name might have a more valid concern, but they still aren't YOUR KID'S  doctor and don't know his medical history like his own doctor would.

I would have reacted the same way. I might feel differently if her previous concerns had turned out to be true (ie Chicken Pox and bronchitis) but even so he would need to see his own doctor.

I agree with @tkt17 about making sure that the director speaks to her sister. 
    Baby boy "F" was born on 7/11/14!!

• No, that is totally inappropriate! It's fine for them to show concern but they have no authority to make claims like that. Also, I would ensure they are not speaking to other teachers about this, medical privacy and all. I am familiar with nurse maid elbow so everyone should be aware of how they are holding your LO but other than that they don't need to be gossiping and saying DS has a connective tissue disorder. No, just no. 
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Loading the player...
  • Wtf? That's ridiculous

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Unreal. Totally out of line.

DD #1 gets nurse maid elbow too, agree that they should know about it. Totally out of line to diagnose.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Really sorry to hear about your DS breaking his foot.  Is this your newborn or do you have an older DS?  

I guess, my opinion is kind of unpopular here, but I'm fine with people sharing their health concerns with me regarding my children. If it is someone who has cared for my child, I really respect and will consider their input. Sometimes people say outrageous things and I thank them for their input outwardly, but will discard it inwardly.  Since it has happened several times with you and the person was wrong, I can see it get annoying, but it wouldn't offend me so much.  Sometimes input from outsiders can pinpoint things we would not consider.  

I think that it must be apparent that the person was incorrect with their diagnoses in the past, so I would probably say something like, "I hope your wrong like you were with the other diagnoses, but I guess since you've seen stuff like that as an RN you are trying to be helpful.  I  will bring it up to my dr, but I hope you're not right!"

• I have an older DS, he's almost 2.5. 

Thanks for all the input ladies.. I was faced with some awkwardness as I took the kids to school this morning, but oh well I guess.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"