February 2013 Moms
Options

Mamas of 2 or more who run/workout

Okay, Mamas of many, tell me when you find the time to run or workout.  I found I can do a short video while L is awake, she might even do it with me.  I have a treadmill and I used to run on it during L's naptime, which I still might be able to do, if by some miracle they are napping at the same time anytime soon.  I also used to go for runs pushing the stroller, but I don't have a double jogger and M won't be ready for runs anytime soon.  So do you go in the morning, before DH leaves for work?  That would be early.  The evening does not sound fun because that is our family time.  How are you making it work?
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
View Full Size Image

Re: Mamas of 2 or more who run/workout

• Options
    Ugh..question of my life. I have managed to care out time after school but before I get DD from daycare. But I have a meeting or conference then I can. Its far from ideal but the best I can do for now.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Join a gym w a good play center. For us this is the Y. For the first 12w, I wore baby and walked indoor track, doing lunges, squats, etc., and after that I planned trips around nursing times so I could leave him in the center. They did have a totally separate infant area (and a private nursing room). He never got a single sniffle from his time there, but he was a summer baby with no risk factors so I was lucky.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's a struggle and I'm not managing it as well as I'd like.

I run one day a week, always a weekend morning when DH is around to watch the kids, and then I shower while they nap. That's pretty much the only way it happens. Running 1 day a week certainly doesn't keep me in shape, but it's better than nothing.

When DH is away, like this weekend, I usually run with the kids in our double stroller. Pushing 75 lbs of stroller and babies in front of you as you run is no joke, but that's pretty much my only option. It sucks, but again, it's better than not getting out there.

If it rains tomorrow and I can't run outside, I'm pretty much screwed. I do have a gym membership with childcare available, but my kids are terrible about being left with strangers. If I have to attempt that it will almost surely end with nonstop hysterical screaming and me quickly being called back to get them.

I'll be watching this thread for other ideas, as I'd really like to be able to exercise more regularly again.

TTC since June 2009
    BFP #1 2/22/10 M/C 6w2d
    BFP #2 October 2010 CP
    BFP #3 1/11/11 M/C 8w5d
    IUI #1 Aug 2011= BFN
    IUI #2= BFP #4 9/18/11 missed M/C, D&C 10/18/11
    IUIs #3&4 = BFN
    IVF #1 May 2012 = BFP! Twins!!

Fraternal twins born Feb. 2013

Lilypie - (X78c)

• Options
    Here are my thoughts:

I try to get out for walks as much as we can. It's not like running or a real strenuous workout, but if you walk fast it can still be good (especially pushing a double stroller).

I haven't really done it yet, but my goal is to do a quick ab workout before I get in the shower in the morning. I'm talking like 5-10 minutes, just a quick circuit or something to help tone things a bit.

Not worry about it until the baby gets a more regular schedule. I would actually like to do a whole workout video in the morning before I shower, but I have to have a better idea of what DS will do before I try that. Plus, sleep is more important right now than getting up earlier to work out. Last night he was up at 1, 2, 3, and then 7. But some nights he sleeps until 5 before waking for the first time. I just never know and for me, it's not realistic to wake up early to work out if he's not sleeping well or I don't know what his schedule will be. I'm giving myself at least until 6 months before I really start worrying about getting into shape. It's just too hard when they're both this little.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    @kleigh926‌ that's kind of where I am at right now too- getting up early isnt feasible with all the night time wake ups we have going on, but eventually that's my plan.

I'm hoping to kind of do a mixture like DC, I was surprised how cool L was with me doing a video, though she kept coming up and trying to sit on my foot so she could go for a ride... I'm joining a running group this spring which will hopefully be what I need to kick start my morning runs.
    View Full Size Image

• Options
    It seems like everyone here belongs to the Y and leaves their kids there.  I don't want to join yet because it is slightly expensive and I want to wait until AJ is older.  Right now we walk in the double stroller.  The plan we will start in a few weeks is that I will do a once/week cardio tennis class during lunch and DH will take the kids to lunch.  I will also do that cardio class on Saturday afternoons when we have time, and once/week in the evenings once I get in good enough shape for the advanced class.  I also have gotten a baby-sitter while I go to a class.  Right now, I am much too sleep deprived to ever get up before the kids.
  • Options
    The Y is the best money I spend every month: I take care of my body, I get a break from the kids, and they get to play with new toys and friends in a fun and safe area. I cannot imagine NOT spending the money on it. There is nothing I wouldn't give up to have it.

And as far as kids' stranger fears go, our Y has very little turnover with staff in the playcenter. The first time or two (or eight) might be tough but it's an investment in everyone's sanity for us. I think the babies need a break from me as much as I need one from them. We all get bored, right? Even with those we love most...

Honestly, I do not know how some of you parent without the Y. I could not be a SAHM without it...
  • Options
    ggatlanta said:

Honestly, I do not know how some of you parent without the Y. I could not be a SAHM without it...

Haha, I think this is a little dramatic.... packing up supplies for 2 kids and myself to go work out, most likely right during DS's morning nap time, and trying to explain his reflux problem to a new caregiver sounds like the last thing I'd wanna deal with right now. I can see it being nice once he gets a little older, but even then, it would only be if we comfortably had the money to afford it without giving other things up (because we really don't have a whole lot of what I would consider extras right now anyway).
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    Well, I'm a working mama, don't have a new born and have good sleepers, so all that considered, I run early in the morning before the kids are awake (and DH is home, obviously).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ggatlanta said:

The Y is the best money I spend every month: I take care of my body, I get a break from the kids, and they get to play with new toys and friends in a fun and safe area. I cannot imagine NOT spending the money on it. There is nothing I wouldn't give up to have it.

And as far as kids' stranger fears go, our Y has very little turnover with staff in the playcenter. The first time or two (or eight) might be tough but it's an investment in everyone's sanity for us. I think the babies need a break from me as much as I need one from them. We all get bored, right? Even with those we love most...

I will admit- I got a Membership when we lived in Nashville and it was pretty life changing. We don't have one in our new town though and I'm not up for the drive because I risk a car nap and I would prefer DS be a bit older before we go down that road.
    View Full Size Image

• Options
    we don't have a Y in our area :-( 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DC2London said:

Yeah the Y costs $80/month here.  I already have a gym that I can use for free.  Newp.  Not doin it.

When we lived in a subdivision with a fitness center I could never justify a gym membership. We paid for it with our HOA fees so I used our community gym, I totally get that.
    View Full Size Image

• Options
    How do I get these mythical "good sleepers"?  I want two of them.  Working out in the morning would be best for me, but my kids just will not cooperate with that.  

The best I can do is during lunch break at work, but that's been really hit or miss lately depending on how busy I am.  I need to just schedule it.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    How do I get these mythical "good sleepers"?  I want two of them.  Working out in the morning would be best for me, but my kids just will not cooperate with that.  

The best I can do is during lunch break at work, but that's been really hit or miss lately depending on how busy I am.  I need to just schedule it.

I rarely mention it because idk how I got lucky times 2 in the sleep department, and I don't want to jinx it. I'm sure we're in for it with number 3.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ggatlantaggatlanta member
    edited November 2014
    I really, really rely on the Y for my sanity. It actually costs more than that here but it is my one big "fun" expense. I'm not paying for the gym - I'm paying for the fun, safe play time for the kids while I get a break. Afterwards everyone is tired and happy, three to five times a week. That's less than $5 a visit for what we pay here. I am just saying, I could make anyone a convert to the Y.

I will say ours is fantastic childcare-wise - low turnover, lots of creds. In 18 months, only two new employees have started in any of the 3 childcare areas (infants, walkers, and 3+), and only 2 have left.

Can you tell I love it? But no free or included gym here...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"