Baby Showers

Duplicate gifts

Hi all! Hopefully I've picked the right board for this question.

My shower was last weekend and I received two duplicate gifts. I received two different monitors (one I registered for and one I did not(video)) I also received two humidifiers. Same goes for these, one I registered for and one I did not. Here are my questions:

1. Should I keep both dup. gifts, is there a need for two?

2. I have a gift receipt for the gifts I registered for but those are obviously the ones I'd like to keep. I would like to avoid asking for the gift receipts for the other items.

What would you do? TIA

Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Married 9/10/11 * BFP 6/9/14 * EDD 1/25/15

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Duplicate gifts

• If you plan on going to the grandparents frequently or anything like that duplicates can be nice otherwise you can return the gifts with no receipts for store credit. I'm sure you're polite enough to know this but under no circumstances should you request for receipts from the gift giver.
  • I always consider what I would want someone to do with my gift if I gave them a duplicate. I would want them to return it and get something they can actually use, rather than just stuffing it in the garage and putting it in next year's yard sale. 

So, if you don't need two humidifiers or two monitors, return the ones you dislike. Usually you can look up skew numbers in google to find where it was bought. For example, the same humidifier sold at Target and Walmart have different skew numbers. I wish people who bought outside of the registry would include gift receipts for this very purpose, I always do. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • With Walmart, if the store you go to doesn't sell that item at that location they won't return it either. Target let's you return up to $100 a year for store credit with no gift receipt.
  • If you plan on going to the grandparents frequently or anything like that duplicates can be nice otherwise you can return the gifts with no receipts for store credit. I'm sure you're polite enough to know this but under no circumstances should you request for receipts from the gift giver.
    exactly this!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I could see keeping the monitor, but not the humidifier. I would try to figure out which if any local stores carry the item you don't want and try to return them for store credit so you can get something else you needed.
  • We have one monitor that lasted us through 2 babies. You can hear when baby is awake anyway so no need for a second for me. We have 3 humidifiers though. I have one in my room and baby's and when he was sick we'd sometimes sleep in the living room with him in the swing (inclined to help with drainage) and have the humidifier in there. It's nice not to move one around and just have one in each room. Like others have said, you can return things to stores without receipts for credit. I had to research online what stores sold the items first. They won't take things they don't sell. Another tip, they do limit how much you can return without a receipt per year but it is tied to your liscense. I just have DH return things after I reached my limit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great, thanks everyone! I never knew you could find out online which store the item was purchased at!

Pregnancy Ticker

• YogaSandyYogaSandy member
    edited December 2014
    I'd save the extra humidifier. The other might break (or in fact be crappy - I do have a crappy one). And (depending on where you live) you might find use for it in another room.

ETA clarity
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"