3rd Trimester
Options

Small abdominal circumference

I am reaching out because I am scared and emotional.  I have been measuring perfect this whole pregnancy and my fundal measurements are always right on or a week ahead, but due to a low papp-a screening in the first trimester, I am going for monthly growth scans.  I had one a week and a half ago and it showed a head in the 93%, legs around 40% and an abdominal circumference in the 6%. It put the overall growth at 31", but I just feel nervous that my little guy is having growth issues.
Does anyone have any experience with a small abdominal circumference that first presented itself around 34 weeks?  If so, what was the outcome?  I am praying the scan next week shows a growth spurt.  

Re: Small abdominal circumference

• Options

paigep8 said:
    I am reaching out because I am scared and emotional.  I have been measuring perfect this whole pregnancy and my fundal measurements are always right on or a week ahead, but due to a low papp-a screening in the first trimester, I am going for monthly growth scans.  I had one a week and a half ago and it showed a head in the 93%, legs around 40% and an abdominal circumference in the 6%. It put the overall growth at 31", but I just feel nervous that my little guy is having growth issues.
    Does anyone have any experience with a small abdominal circumference that first presented itself around 34 weeks?  If so, what was the outcome?  I am praying the scan next week shows a growth spurt.  

Is your OB concerned?  If not, try not to worry.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    She told me not to worry and that we will watch it.  Trying not to worry, but you know how it gets.  I wish we could peak in there and make sure everything was going okay. :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had a normal growth scan at 32w (due to possible pre-e). At 36w we had another growth scan and DD's belly had not grown at all. Her abdominal measurement was less than 2nd%, putting her total at 12th%. We continued to do increased monitoring (twice weekly BPPs & NSTs from 32w on) and added cord dopplers to make sure she was getting enough blood flow. We ended up inducing at 39w4d and DD is small but perfectly healthy. She has been around 10th% in height and weight since birth and will be 3 in January. I know it's hard, but if your OB isn't worried you should try not to be.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    We had growth scans all throughout due to a cord issue. DS was growing great until 35 weeks. His abdomen measured in the 10th percentile. The blood flow was highish so they brought me in for an nst the following week. I ended up getting induced at 37 weeks but it was bc I had preeclampsia. LO weighed 5 lbs 3 oz. He is 12 weeks now and almost 12 pounds. He is perfectly healthy. Try not to stress! Your doctor will make sure everything is okay!
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Unless your baby is measuring less than 2 SD from its expected than you are fine. The only thing they would be worried about would be asymmetric IUGR which just means your little one may be small  if its not paired with any other abnormalities. Listen to your OB 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo march_zps6c968eb7.png
    BFP! June 25, 2014        EDD: 3/4/15
    Married May 2011 
    Me 27 -- DH 31 
    Loving parents of 2 beautiful chihuahuas 
  • Options
  • Options
    The week before DS was born (38 weeks) I was measuring 2 weeks behind. After doing a full biophysical at 38+3 the ob decided it would be best to induce me at 39+1 weeks due to the belly circumference measuring small. Well I went into labor the day before the induction was scheduled. DS was born the next day perfectly healthy 6lb1 and 20 in. I know how worrying it is, I was a wreck after they told me they thought something might be wrong. But if you OB isn't worried try not to be either.
  • Options
    @paigep8 SD = standard deviations , sorry ultrasound jargon 

photo march_zps6c968eb7.png
    BFP! June 25, 2014        EDD: 3/4/15
    Married May 2011 
    Me 27 -- DH 31 
    Loving parents of 2 beautiful chihuahuas 
  • Options

With ds#1....I was measuring 4 weeks behind at 36 weeks.  They did an u/s and he was measuring small. but his abdomen was measuring in the less than 1%.  I had weekly u/s and 2x/week NST from that point on.  I went into labor at 39w5d and he was born at 6lbs 14oz perfectly healthy.

He just has a small waist/belly.  Even now at 6 years old, I have to buy him slim fit pants and they are all still too loose in the waist.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"