Multiples
Options

Anyone lose weight or stay the same weight your whole pregnancy?

I am 13 weeks and I have lost 12 lbs. I was overweight to begin with and I am not concerned, but I am just wondering if anyone else has safely lost weight during pregnancy or maintained instead of gaining.  I am not trying to lose weight, but I started eating healthy and cut out sugar.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Anyone lose weight or stay the same weight your whole pregnancy?

• Options
    Losing weight in the first trimester of pregnancy - multiples or singletons - is completely normal. Morning sickness, food aversions, picky cravings, more energy being used to create human(s)... all of that can contribute to weight loss. Cutting sugar out is almost a sure fire way to start losing weight, but it shouldn't affect your little ones as long as you are still getting proteins and fats. 

I had GD with my twins and I had to have surgery at 17w. Between all of the stuff I dealt with, I ended up gaining only about 11lbs during my pregnancy. My net change after delivery was a loss of 30lbs (i.e. I came out of it 30lbs lighter than I was pre-pregnancy). 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    I gained a lot of weight - but maybe only 3-5lbs by 16w or so. After that it came fast and furious w no change in diet.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't gain until about 25 weeks but did start losing again at 34. I lost 10 in the last 2 weeks! But babies were healthy!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    As long as your DRs are ok with your loss, you'll be fine.
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I should have been more specific. What I am wondering is if anyone has lost weight or maintained their entire pregnancy. I know it is normal to lose in the first trimester, but is it possible to not gain any the entire pregnancy, since I am overweight to begin with..If I consume enough calories to maintain weight but don't gain is that safe? I know I should ask my Dr. I was just wondering if any women had went their whole pregnancy without gaining anything.

irishtheatrechic may I ask how far along you are since you said your Doc was just now starting to get worried?
  • Options

I should have been more specific. What I am wondering is if anyone has lost weight or maintained their entire pregnancy. I know it is normal to lose in the first trimester, but is it possible to not gain any the entire pregnancy, since I am overweight to begin with..If I consume enough calories to maintain weight but don't gain is that safe? I know I should ask my Dr. I was just wondering if any women had went their whole pregnancy without gaining anything.

irishtheatrechic may I ask how far along you are since you said your Doc was just now starting to get worried?
    I'm by no means an expert, but I do remember reading in dr lukes twin pregnancy book that if you start out over weight you don't HAVE to gain as much during your pregnancy. Definitely talk to I your dr about this, but in Dr Luke's book she has a chapter that tells exactly how much you should gain based on your BMI and pre pregnancy weight.
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

• Options
    lilydolcelilydolce member
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    MKateG said:
    I'm by no means an expert, but I do remember reading in dr lukes twin pregnancy book that if you start out over weight you don't HAVE to gain as much during your pregnancy. Definitely talk to I your dr about this, but in Dr Luke's book she has a chapter that tells exactly how much you should gain based on your BMI and pre pregnancy weight.
    I have read Dr. Luke's book. She recommends gaining 31 lbs. for someone of my BMI. She recommends gaining 11 lbs. by 14 weeks at my BMI. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I will just have to make my OB listen to me and address my concerns about weight gain/loss etc.
  • Options
    I think that you really need to gain some weight- you can ask to talk to a dietitian and they can advise you on how many calories you need to consume and break it down according to how much protein, carbs, etc. I had been on a weight loss program before getting pregnant for my boys- I gained 65 pounds with them (I had lost 100 pounds before getting pregnant).  However I ate a lot more lean protein, whole grains, low fat dairy, and limiting sugar- to me this is the way to increase calories without eating garbage.  I also lost ALL that weight by 2 weeks after delivery.
  • Options
    I asked my OB about this early on, he said hewasnt going to worry about my weight as long as babies looked good and I was healthy. I read Dr. Luke's book and just. Could. Not. Gain 20#/ 20 weeks.... :-( I am 30 weeks now and just at 23 lbs over pre pregnancy weight. Still wearing my pre pregnancy jeans.... everything seems to have shifted. Somedays my shoes hurt...

Definitely address your concern with your doctor... ask why he/she isnt concerned... it could be like mine, as long as babies are growing on track and look healthy, not concerned. Good Luck! :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am almost 27 weeks and up 14 lbs. I have gained 5 in last week and a half:) started overweight as well. I am not worrying about weight gain. Are you worried about gaining and trying to avoid it?

Married to Lee since 9/2/2000

Momma to Hais November 2002 and Carter April 2010 (with use of fertility treatments)

Cancer Survivor

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hais_mommy I would prefer not to gain a lot of weight if it can be done safely, but I wouldn't say I am concerned. I haven't cut calories, I just eat healthier and stopped eating sugar. I gained a lot of weight this year because I had two back to back miscarriages, and I really wanted to lose some of that before I got pregnant again, but it didn't happen! I *think* I will be ok and accept whatever my body needs me to gain.
  • Options
    MKateG said:

Yes and Dr. Luke's book very specifically explains why you should eat for your babies and not rely on fat gains to feed them. I'd say take a look at that chapter and maybe bring it to your dr's attention. I felt like my dr would say one thing, then I would show him the book, and he would do some research and come back to me with a different response. (not about weight gain necessarily but other issues). 
    I gained 60 pounds and honestly it has not been too hard to lose it. Girls are 10 months and I only have 10 lbs to go and most of it was easy to lose. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board