Babies: 0 - 3 Months

3 week growth spurt?

I'm breastfeeding and my son is 3 weeks old today (Wednesday). He has been nursing constantly since Sunday evening. I was reading about a growth spurt at 3 weeks but is it really supposed to last this long? I thought it was supposed to only last for a day or so.

I was so excited to start pumping and storing so we could easily travel for the holidays but now he is sucking me dry!! Any ideas when this will end?

Re: 3 week growth spurt?

• Probably in the next day or 2 but could go a week. Then your supply will be even better for pumping. Growth spurts are a pita but just find some good shows, have some snacks easily available, and get comfy on the couch/recliner whatever. They don't last forever and it's just as important for your body as it is for your LO. This nonstop feeding is sending a cue to your body to make more milk/change the content of your milk to suit your LOs needs. I didn't really start pumping til around 3 weeks and pump every morning and sometimes once in the afternoon and have a nice little freezer stash for a rainy day.
  • Oh girl...the 6 week one is a doozy too! At least your lo is making you supply more. So when the spurt is over your pumping will be more plentiful!
  • Loading the player...
  • My lo is going through one and it's driving me crazy. Not only his feeding is more but he is also crankier.
  •  My dd is 3 weeks 2 days and had the spurt the last few days. Yesterday was tough! but she is happy again today. I, on the other hand, am tired lol.

I wouldn't worry about pumping at this moment. I haven't even set mine up yet.
  • Thank you all so much! He's still really fussy today (Thursday) and wants to eat really often. He also sleeps sooooo lightly during the day. He'll sleep on me but not in his sleeper so I really have him attached to me all day. DH is frustrated bc he feels like he can't do anything for him and he just cried when he's not eating. So hopefully the next day or so... And yes we def keep wondering if there's something else wrong since he's so fussy! I'll def enjoy that day of rest coming up [-O<
    Thanks for your help!
  • Everytime our little guy (who is 12 weeks now) hit a growth spurt (3 weeks, 6 weeks, and now) it lasts about 3-7 days to get his feeding back on a "regular schedule." Hang in there, I know it's frustrating some times but, they will go back to being hungry every so-many hours. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"