September 2013 Moms
Options

Snow storm

Has anyone been affected by that crazy snow storm? This is the time of year where my anxiety goes to an all time high.. Between safe driving & power outages etc. We've only got a little snow so far but it's been pretty consistent over the last couple days and it usually hits us pretty fast and hard. I guess this is a pretty pointless post but I wanted to ask for those who endure the wrath of winter if you're taking any special precautions this year? Stocking up on certain food?

I don't know if it's just me being anxious or what but I feel like I have to create a stockpile of winter survival gear, like right now before we're stuck in a mass snow pile.

Re: Snow storm

• Options
    We're in MA and Haven't had much in terms of snow. We don't really take any special precautions. Though, we do have a generator to power most of the house in case of outages. If a big storm were predicted we'd probably make an extra trip to the grocery store to avoid going out in it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Im in MN and we had about 8 inches a week or so ago with a few days since then where we got an addition inch or two,.....so annoying....its too early!  Minnesotans are a hardy bunch (im a CA transplant)  we would literally have to have feet and feet of snow to be shut in and even then people get out and about.  We are on a well which means we should have a stock pile of bottled water if we have a power outage but I don't really have anything.  We have a generator which we can run the fridge and furnace.    
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are in FL so we weren't affected by any snow but it's still so cold!

@fiveohfive‌ we just moved from upstate NY but we were right where the storm hit. My moms house had snow half way up one side of her house
  • Options
    I'm also in Upstate NY and the storm luckily didn't pass over us. We're certainly prepared to deal with quite a bit of snow but definitely not as much as Buffalo received all at once. A lot of the surrounding areas are deploying plows and crews to Buffalo to help move all that snow, problem is there's no where to put it all and once it melts there's a whole new issue. Like PP's have mentioned we would probably just make a trip to the store to get the essentials if we heard of a huge storm like that coming our way. Other then that we'd just wait it out and shovel over and over again! I always have an emergency kit in my car (which reminds me I should go through it and replace some things) and a few warm blankets. I'd be sure to pack some extra supplies if I were planning on taking a winter trip but since I am a SAHM I just avoid going out if theres a snow storm.
  • Options
    I didn't even think of having extra stuff in the car! Great idea! I'm just dreading the next couple months..
  • Options
    I usually put a blanket/boots/spare jacket in my car just in case I go in the ditch and have to walk somewhere
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    We deal with some pretty crazy storms, but nothing like what is going on in Buffalo.  I always have blankets and jackets as well as an emergency kit in my car, and we try to keep the pantry stocked. We were without power for 2 cold days a few years ago and we realized how truly unprepared we were!   

It's just started snowing here this morning and the roads are a mess. Even DD isn't thrilled about it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We deal with some pretty crazy storms, but nothing like what is going on in Buffalo.  I always have blankets and jackets as well as an emergency kit in my car, and we try to keep the pantry stocked. We were without power for 2 cold days a few years ago and we realized how truly unprepared we were!   

It's just started snowing here this morning and the roads are a mess. Even DD isn't thrilled about it.  

She is just too sweet! Definitely doesn't look thrilled.

I'm afraid I won't be prepared if I don't get on the ball now.. I realized we hardly have any batteries for flashlights too.. On top of stocking the pantry I feel I have a "junk" drawer to stock up with essentials as well.. Batteries, matches, candles, etc.. I just looked at our water stash and I'm down to 3 water bottles! Time to hit the grocery store.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"