August 2013 Moms
Options

Bottles still?

I just took J to her 15 month checkup and the Dr. stressed the fact of getting her off bottles asap. She gets one 7.5oz bottle when she wakes up each morning and one right before bed. I just keep hearing how it's going to rot her teeth and she will have a lisp if I don't stop now. Wondering how many other mamas are still giving bottles??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bottles still?

• Options
    We did stop bottles at 12 months, my concern was his teeth also. It's a personal decision and you do what your child seems to need, the only advice I will give is at least brush you lo's teeth after bottle if they r going to sleep right away. It does prevent decay, the milk tends to pool under the lips and will decay them over time. Good luck to you , you know your child better than anyone and you will know when they are ready for the switch!
  • Options
    I still give one bottle when she wakes up but she quit the bedtime bottle about 2 weeks ago. I brush her teeth every night and hope to get her into the routine of brushing in the morning soon. I really don't know when the morning bottle will go away, she's just so hungry right when she wakes up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We transitioned completely off bottles in the couple weeks after LO turned 1.  We did it at the same time we transitioned her to WCM during the day.  We mixed BM and WCM in the bottles for 1-2 weeks, gradually increasing the amount of WCM, and when it was time to move to 100% WCM, we took away the bottles and switched her to straw cups (which she had been using for water).  I was really impressed at how quickly she picked up the straw cup.  She now uses straw cups for water and WCM 100% of the time.  She still BFs 2x per day (first thing in the morning and bedtime), and I've told DH that he can give a bottle of BM at bedtime if I'm not home (tonight will be the first time I'm not home at bedtime since we transitioned, so we'll see how it goes!).

• Options
    Still on bottles here. He has 2-3 bottles of BM at daycare while I'm at work. We tried transitioning to a sippy of BM, but we decided to stop were too many transitions at once (from infant to toddler room, napping on a mat instead of in a crib, new teachers and friends). We'll revisit it next month after the transition at daycare is better. He only nurses at home, so it's been harder getting him to drink milk out of a sippy when I don't pump when we're together. He drinks water just fine though.
  • Options

We still give a bottle in the morning/evening, but it's mostly because he is a MESS with the sippy.  And not because he doesn't know how to use, but because he knows exactly how.  He takes it and presses it down and spills the liquid every where in order to play in it.  We really do need to transition away from them completely, but I find I love the ease of it.

We pretty much only use hard top sippies for this reason.

• Options
    M gets a nighttime bottle only. I can get him down without one, but H has to use one (so he says). I really want to be well off them when the new one comes in April bc I really don't want him to steal the babies bottles! And I only say that bc that's what my friends toddler did. Ha.
  • Options
    I worry about this daily. I know I'm more of a lurker these days but had to jump in. We're still using bottles 4-5x/day. And we're using them as a crutch to sleep - both naps and NT.
    LO loves his bottles! He'll drink water out of a sippy or straw cup tho.
    Our ped recommended to just remove all bottles from the house at the same time. Seems rather harsh to me. Clearly I'm using this as much if a crutch as LO is. Can't seem to figure out how to get him to sleep without a bottle.

• Options

Glad we aren't the only ones still using a bottle! DS still gets a bottle in the morning and at night. We have started to give him a bottle full of water at night instead of WCM. Once he is asleep we will go in and remove it from the crib. Like PP said we are using it as a crutch as much as LO is....

I know we are probably going to have to just go cold turkey with them but to be honest I'm just not ready for that!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    With both sons we were the terrible parents that stopped bottles cold turkey at 12 months. We had about 2 days of crabby each time and then they gladly took the sippy.

I know Drs are super ancy to get them off bottles, but it seems like a bottle once or twice day doesn't seem like THAT big of a deal. Now, 3 year olds with sippy cups, that I understand. (Breaking DS1 of his sippy crutch was soooo much harder than dropping bottles with either).

GL!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options

With both sons we were the terrible parents that stopped bottles cold turkey at 12 months. We had about 2 days of crabby each time and then they gladly took the sippy.

I know Drs are super ancy to get them off bottles, but it seems like a bottle once or twice day doesn't seem like THAT big of a deal. Now, 3 year olds with sippy cups, that I understand. (Breaking DS1 of his sippy crutch was soooo much harder than dropping bottles with either).

GL!

What's wrong w a 3yo using a sippy cup? It's like a water bottle - and you can't beat the convenience for on-the-go.

• Options
    With both sons we were the terrible parents that stopped bottles cold turkey at 12 months. We had about 2 days of crabby each time and then they gladly took the sippy. I know Drs are super ancy to get them off bottles, but it seems like a bottle once or twice day doesn't seem like THAT big of a deal. Now, 3 year olds with sippy cups, that I understand. (Breaking DS1 of his sippy crutch was soooo much harder than dropping bottles with either). GL!
    What's wrong w a 3yo using a sippy cup? It's like a water bottle - and you can't beat the convenience for on-the-go.

Sorry, should have clarified, I have a friend who has a 3 year old who cannot drink from a cup...like, just can't get the mechanics of drinking without the sippy. I guess I think thats weird and a skill a kid should have by 3. Sippy cups are awesome! We still use them for on the go, but not for sit down meals. Which was a struggle of a transition for big guy. Not so much that he couldn't use a cup...just didn't want to. :)
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    I stopped giving DD bottles about 10 months, and by that point she would rarely have them anyway, sometimes at night if H was putting her down. She been using sippy cups since about 7 months.

While I can see that it's a decision that varies between families based on what works best for them, I understand why your Dr may be concerned at this point.

• Options
    janneann1127janneann1127 member
    edited November 2014
    D still gets one bottle before bed. We started weaning at 12 months and have been slowly working our way through it. Our pedi wasn't too concerned but she did mention to brush his teeth after the bottle at night, so that is what we do. The plan is to wean that one in the next month. We've had to delay due to an ear infection, a cold, and teeth. I don't think it's a HUGE deal but I'd start working on eliminating the bottle sooner than later, because as they get older, it becomes increasingly difficult.
  • Options
    We're still on the bottle train.  He gets 3 but water only.  He gets 2-3 oz of water before each nap and before bed.  It really is the only way to get him to just sit still for a few minutes and that's all he needs to get sleepy.  I'm hoping to have them gone by 18 mo but I just haven't had the energy to fight that battle lately, I'm sure the dr will be all over it when we go!

• Options
    I agree with the comments on you know your child best and know when is best to switch.  We swapped around 6 months.  She got a really bad cold and couldn't suck very well because she was congested.  Due to this, I started giving her milk in a sippy cup that had handles instead of bottle because the nipple is bigger and made it easier for her to drink.  When she got better, she didn't want to go back to the bottle.  She still gets her milk in a sippy cup now.  
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    We are slowly making the transition, but regressed when he had an ear infection for nearly 2 weeks. It will happen, no one goes off to college with bottles :)
    Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"