October 2013 Moms
Options

Weight loss

what is everyone doing or not doing to loose the baby weight? Anyone else really struggling? These last 10 lbs will not come off and I need some inspiration

Re: Weight loss

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Deft cut out carbs, and start exercising if you're not already. If you are exercising, increase your exercise.

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• Options
    @Amjoy25‌ I started running last month for the first time ever and it's been going okay. I tried limiting calories but that didn't do anything. I guess the next step is cutting carbs. Perfect time of the year!
  • Options
    Amjoy25 said:
    Deft cut out carbs, and start exercising if you're not already. If you are exercising, increase your exercise.
    told ya amjoy would say cut out carbs ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    I started going back to Weight Watchers. It really helps me with the tracking to be more aware of what I'm eating. By all means I'm not perfect and I still overeat but it is getting less and less. I still have like 30 pounds to lose but I'm not giving up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Amjoy25Amjoy25 member
    edited November 2014
    @dovetail223 for years, I tried so many different diets (obv. not baby fat) and nothing really worked.  LIMITING my carbs was the only thing that worked really well for me.  My husband and I saw a nutritionist a few years ago, and she recommended limiting meals to 45 carbs per meal (3 times per day) and 20 carbs per snack (2 times per day).  I lost about 60 pounds in about 4 months with that.  Honestly, once you find substitutions and healthier alternatives, it's not that bad.

If something has a higher dietary fiber content (4 or more grams) subtract that from the carb content for that item.  Right now, I'm eating a cinnamon coffee cake fiber one bar and it has 18g of carbs but 5g of dietary fiber so it only has 13g of carbs.

Also, at night, I'll make a larger portion of vegetables and meat so that we fill up on that, and a smaller serving of rice/pasta/potato (carbs).  I find that if you're full, you don't really miss the carbs.

It sounds so cliche, but it became a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet.  
    That's 180 carbs a day!!!! I'm scared to know what your carb count was before this "diet".

My patients are told 30 carbs total for the day. 

Also, the bolded is true not cliche.

imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• Options
    Amjoy25Amjoy25 member
    edited November 2014
    Lia1303 said: I too am struggling. Mostly because I do absolutely nothing about it. I'm so exhausted by the time dinner is made, the baby is in bed and everything straightened up that I can't get the energy to go work out. One thing I do do is make extra veggies like @deedee1017‌ suggested and I will try to fill up on those as much as possible. #doodoo #imfive ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Weight loss is ALL about what you eat. Exercise is good for maintenance.

• Options
    TREDgirl said:
    I started going back to Weight Watchers. It really helps me with the tracking to be more aware of what I'm eating. By all means I'm not perfect and I still overeat but it is getting less and less. I still have like 30 pounds to lose but I'm not giving up. 
    THIS IS KEY! Never give up!

• Options
    deedee1017deedee1017 member
    edited November 2014
    Amjoy25 said:
    @dovetail223 for years, I tried so many different diets (obv. not baby fat) and nothing really worked.  LIMITING my carbs was the only thing that worked really well for me.  My husband and I saw a nutritionist a few years ago, and she recommended limiting meals to 45 carbs per meal (3 times per day) and 20 carbs per snack (2 times per day).  I lost about 60 pounds in about 4 months with that.  Honestly, once you find substitutions and healthier alternatives, it's not that bad.

If something has a higher dietary fiber content (4 or more grams) subtract that from the carb content for that item.  Right now, I'm eating a cinnamon coffee cake fiber one bar and it has 18g of carbs but 5g of dietary fiber so it only has 13g of carbs.

Also, at night, I'll make a larger portion of vegetables and meat so that we fill up on that, and a smaller serving of rice/pasta/potato (carbs).  I find that if you're full, you don't really miss the carbs.

That's 180 carbs a day!!!! I'm scared to know what your carb count was before this "diet".

I don't know what my carb intake was before that, but i was never a barbarian. I'd like to think I ate within reason.  Writing down my intake and keeping track is what helped me.

Also, 180 was the maximum. That doesn't mean I could or should eat 10 slices of pizza.  Apples have carbs, carrots have carbs, etc.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Amjoy25 said:

I don't know what my carb intake was before that, but i was never a barbarian. I'd like to think I ate within reason.  Writing down my intake and keeping track is what helped me.

Also, 180 was the maximum. That doesn't mean I could or should eat 10 slices of pizza.  Apples have carbs, carrots have carbs, etc.
    The bolded helps many people...I recommend My Fitness Pal to my patients. 

• Options
    Amjoy25 said:
    Amjoy25 said:

The bolded helps many people...I recommend My Fitness Pal to my patients. 
    I also think being taught how to read labels helped a lot too.  All that information on the side of the box means nothing if you don't know what you're looking for.  Obviously high fat and calorie counts mean something, but dietary fiber and knowing how sugar translates to carbs really helped.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Amjoy25 said:

30?   :-O  

I was on 165ish for my GD diet, but I know that they don't want you to lose weight on the diet.  My breakfast could only be 30, which was 2 cups of milk.  

I think the main culprit for me, even though I'm down to my pre-baby weight, are soft drinks.  I drink one can a day, which has a surprisingly high carb count (40 carbs when I was only allowed 45 for lunch).  I had to switch to diet or zero soft drinks during my pregnancy and I think that was the main the reason why I gained a "healthy" amount of weight.  

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We started doing two veggies with dinner or just one and no carb, or if we decide on a carb it's usually beans. Beans are good for you....
  • Options
    I love My Fitness Pal. I used it daily - even on my cheat day. I have two close friends who use it too so we can see what the others are doing. It is a great motivator. As I see my weight go down I will do what it takes to NOT let it go back up. I've been doing it for about 6 weeks and have dropped 12 pounds.
  • Options
    Lia1303 said:

carawasa said:

We started doing two veggies with dinner or just one and no carb, or if we decide on a carb it's usually beans. Beans are good for you....

Beans are a carb? I did not know this.
    Aren't they? I could be making this up. I thought they were a complex carb.
  • Options
    I need to cut carbs again. As of today, I am officially back to pre-baby weight. Sounds great, except I dropped 30lbs while pregnant and on the GD diet. We did great maintaining a low carb diet until September when my sister moved in with her kids and we started preparing family meals with more carbs. So DH and I are starting our low-carb kick again and trying to make it work while still providing balanced meals for the kiddos.
  • Options
    Lia1303 said:
    @Amjoy25‌ any tips to stave off the 3pm and 10pm "omg I'm going to gnaw off my own arm if I don't eat " attacks? I find that a small healthy snack (handful of almonds, piece of fruit) doesn't seem to do anything to calm that.
    LOTS of water. Drink at least an 8 oz glass and then have your snack...your stomach should be full from the water that you don't feel as hungry.

More often then not, we are dehydrated and we "think" we are hungry. Drink tons of water!

• Options
    carawasa said:
    Beans are a carb? I did not know this.
    Aren't they? I could be making this up. I thought they were a complex carb.
    They deft are. Read yo labels!!

• Options
    huntjulhuntjul member
    edited November 2014
    Amjoy25 said:

About 65% of my job is weight loss. I see many people, many different tastes, many different reasons for weight gain, etc. 

Does this ever drive you crazy? I saw lots of fat dogs and cats but thankfully it wasn't 65% of my work. I did have some hot button comments pet owners would make though. Like all the people bringing in fat dogs who say "well he won't eat his food unless i put a stick of butter, gravy, and bacon grease on top of his dog food, so i do".

At that point in the conversation my staff members' heads would swing around to watch because they knew the person was going to get a dog/cat weight loss talking-to [-X
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    Amjoy25 said:
    Truly, all weight loss is about what you put into your body. Low carb high protein or an Adkin's/Paleo type of diet is highly recommended because as humans we don't need carbs to live. However, if you enjoy your carbs, a diet like the Mediterranean diet is perfect! WW is good because it shows you how many calories you are putting in your body. I highly tout a low carb diet because it's thoughtless...ok, I can't have x,y,z...easy peasy, and you lose weight quickly.
    And it's not considered a "fad" diet because top dietitians, endocrinologists, cardiologists all around the world are telling patients to lose weight this way. It's a lifestyle change.

Processed foods, are bad. If you don't know what the word means, don't put it in your body! WATER! Drink more! We commonly confuse thirst for hunger.

It's all about the calories you put into your body. Read labels, know how many calories you need per day based on your body composition, and track your foods. 

Depending on your body composition, which is the muscle, fat, other stuff your body has on it, you get a calorie count per day that your body requires to maintain your current weight. People who have more muscle set more calories because they are more efficient at burning calories. There are online calculators of this...these are probably not all that accurate, but it's a start. I would subtract 500 calories for that daily allotment, which will yield you 1 pound a week.

About 65% of my job is weight loss. I see many people, many different tastes, many different reasons for weight gain, etc. 

I am happy to answer questions for anyone that is struggling. It will require beer though :)
    Are we required to ship this beer or will you be doing a US tour to pick it up?  I think you'd get lots  if you came to the east coast.   ;)
    I will travel, if it's paid for. :)

• Options
    @huntjul: Not really. I mean, it's my job; preventative medicine is a lot of what I do. I deft feel like a repeating record sometimes, but I have patients that have lost a bunch of weight and they are so much happier and healthier that it makes it worth it.

Of course, I have those that are resistant to eating healthier and change...Every. Excuse. In. The. Book.

I actually made a lady cry because I told her she could not eat a whole bag of potato chips nightly. Aye ye ye.

• Options
    @amjoy25 riddle me this. I have always dealt with hypoglycemia/crazy blood sugar swings since I was a teen. I have tried going hardcore 'no carb' before. I have found that, several hours after eating a carb-free meal, my sugar crashes and I wind up having to eat again. Hence, I wind up eating more overall on a no carb diet than I do if I stick to a policy of 'no naked carbs' aka protein with every carb, and try to avoid processed carbs. What's the dealio? Why does my blood sugar seem more stable if I include a reasonable portion of carbs w/ my protein?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @amjoy can you give us a run down of what we are looking for when reading labels? I have pretty much cut out most processed food and we don't eat out much. But I'm def not eating low carb, so I will certainly try that now. I actually find eating consistently during the day to be a struggle sometimes, which is its own issue I'm sure.
  • Options
    sleepy33 said:
    @amjoy25 riddle me this. I have always dealt with hypoglycemia/crazy blood sugar swings since I was a teen. I have tried going hardcore 'no carb' before. I have found that, several hours after eating a carb-free meal, my sugar crashes and I wind up having to eat again. Hence, I wind up eating more overall on a no carb diet than I do if I stick to a policy of 'no naked carbs' aka protein with every carb, and try to avoid processed carbs. What's the dealio? Why does my blood sugar seem more stable if I include a reasonable portion of carbs w/ my protein?
    You're all jacked up, man.

HAHA. No really. I would need to actually see these "sugar drops" you speak of...like do you actually check your sugar? Hypoglycemia can actually be a pre-cursor to diabeetus. I suggest more protein that has simple sugars in them...like cheese or peanut/almond butter instead of a complex carb that can acutally drop your sugar again.

It's basic human chemistry that sugar is going to crash you, and hypoglycemia is one way it does it. More proteins!

• Options
    @dovetail223

You want to notice serving size, calories, proteins, fats (somewhat) carbohydrates and sugar. Serving size is huge! Americans eat waaaayyyyyy too much. And obviously, if you decide to eat 2 servings then all your macro-nutrients increase also.

If you look at carbs and look at fiber...like deedee said, they kind of play into each other. So, like beans are a good example, yes they have carbs but they also have lots of fiber, so they even out. More or less. 

Proteins are always good! Sugar should be low. And I know people will argue this, but sodium is just meh to me. If you are doing a low carb diet, you need the salt to maintain your electrolytes. Obviously, processed foods have more sodium, and we already said those are not good for you.

Basically, you should eat real food: meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, some cheeses, water and wine. ;)

• Options
    Amjoy25 said:

HAHA. No really. I would need to actually see these "sugar drops" you speak of...like do you actually check your sugar? Hypoglycemia can actually be a pre-cursor to diabeetus. I suggest more protein that has simple sugars in them...like cheese or peanut/almond butter instead of a complex carb that can acutally drop your sugar again.

It's basic human chemistry that sugar is going to crash you, and hypoglycemia is one way it does it. More proteins!
    I haven't checked my sugar levels on my own, no, but when I was in high school or college (I can't remember, #Imold) I did a glucose tolerance test. At either the 2 or 3 hour mark, my blood sugar was 10. Interestingly, you may recall, I was borderline GD, but the weird thing is that when I was pregnant was the only time in my life I didn't feel any problems with low blood sugar. It seemed to stay a lot more stable regardless of whether I ate protein + carbs or not. So that seemed kinda weird. Cheese and PB are staples for me, but again if I'm eating a quick snack, PB spread on whole wheat bread will keep me from feeling low blood sugar symptoms far longer than if, say, I ate twice as much PB but just ate it alone by the spoonful instead of on bread.

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    sleepy33 said:

Amjoy25 said:

I haven't checked my sugar levels on my own, no, but when I was in high school or college (I can't remember, #Imold) I did a glucose tolerance test. At either the 2 or 3 hour mark, my blood sugar was 10. Interestingly, you may recall, I was borderline GD, but the weird thing is that when I was pregnant was the only time in my life I didn't feel any problems with low blood sugar. It seemed to stay a lot more stable regardless of whether I ate protein + carbs or not. So that seemed kinda weird. Cheese and PB are staples for me, but again if I'm eating a quick snack, PB spread on whole wheat bread will keep me from feeling low blood sugar symptoms far longer than if, say, I ate twice as much PB but just ate it alone by the spoonful instead of on bread.

From my understanding, protein helps slow down the breakdown of carbs into sugars. When I had GD, if I skipped my protein with my bedtime snack, I would have lows in the morning.
  • Options
    Amjoy25Amjoy25 member
    edited November 2014
    sleepy33 said:
    Amjoy25 said:

Hold for info on post-prandial hypoglycemia. 

Hum, there's a lot of info and it actually discredits glucose tolerance tests as a diagnostic for hypoglycemia. 

So, basically your treatment is frequent small meals that consist of protein, fiber and grains, no simple sugars on an empty stomach and exercise.

Call me in the morning.

• Options
    Amjoy25 said:

Hum, there's a lot of info and it actually discredits glucose tolerance tests as a diagnostic for hypoglycemia. 

So, basically your treatment is frequent small meals that consist of protein, fiber and grains, no simple sugars on an empty stomach and exercise.

Call me in the morning.
    Interesting! I do all of that except the exercise. Exercise is supposed to help?

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Jalee85Jalee85 member
    edited November 2014
    @sleepy33‌ I have hypoglycemia issues too, which is why I wanted to drop the weight so bad. I got pre-diabetic for a little while when I was 19 and had to go Metformin because I was getting PCOS symptoms.
    I found on low carb I would eat a small handful of Almonds or have some cheese every couple of hours and that sustained me really well.

ETA - what's really odd was while I was pregnant my glucose tolerance test still had me crash after 2 hours, but I never felt super dizzy/drunkish like I did when I wasn't pregnant.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    I lost all the weight , I ate smaller meals , healthier foods and bf. I feel like I ran around a lot doing errands and took baby on lots of walks so that was good exercise. Now that I am preggers again and getting bigger by the day ... I have no idea how hard it will be the 2nd time around. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    < image
  • Options
    Weekly Stroller fitness classes saved me. And being a bit more cautious with food choices. Drinking only water and milk and smaller portions. Adding more fruit and veggies. I'm now 10lbs below prepregnancy weight which I never thought I would see again.
  • Options

Jalee85 said:
    I followed @Amjoy25‌ no white carb rule and started running. When I started in May I was 186 and I am now 145 and just trying maintain. No carbs really does wonders when mixed with exercise! ETA - I obviously have not done low carb this whole time. Now I just watch portions and have switched out my carb options for healthier options. Brown rice instead of white same with spaghetti noodles. We still do pizza on Sundays for football but I have just 1 piece!
    Good work lady!

• Options
    sleepy33 said:
    Amjoy25 said:

Call me in the morning.
    Interesting! I do all of that except the exercise. Exercise is supposed to help?
    Exercise is good. Period. 

• Options
    Jalee85Jalee85 member
    edited November 2014
    Amjoy25 said:

Jalee85 said:

I followed @Amjoy25‌ no white carb rule and started running. When I started in May I was 186 and I am now 145 and just trying maintain. No carbs really does wonders when mixed with exercise!

ETA - I obviously have not done low carb this whole time. Now I just watch portions and have switched out my carb options for healthier options. Brown rice instead of white same with spaghetti noodles. We still do pizza on Sundays for football but I have just 1 piece!

Good work lady!

---------------
    That means a lot coming from you @Amjoy25‌ ! DH also lost a good chuck of weight and he plans to go back on the diet in February he has been working on maintaining as well.

I need to keep up the exercise, but the cold weather has killed that drive, so far I'm maintaining though.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"