February 2013 Moms
Options

Gift ideas for Grandma shower

I belong to a weekly Bible Study group that usually meets at the home of one member (I'll call her Grandma).  Grandma's daughter (I'll call her Mom) just had a baby boy (I'll call him M), the first grandchild for Grandma.  The group wants to throw a small celebration for the new Grandma.  Any ideas for a small gift, perhaps a small toy? 

Ugh.  You would think this would be easy as I'm a relatively new mom, but I've got nothing.  I'm such a bad gift-giver. 

One lady in the group sells baskets / bags from "31".  She's making something for Grandma (maybe it will say "Grandma's Goodie Bag", or something similar).  I also heard that our group is getting t-shirts that say "Grandma" and "Grandpa". 

Some more details: 
* The new Mom, dad and baby M live in the basement of the new Grandma and Grandpa.  Since everyone lives so close, I'm not sure if there is a need for Grandma to have her own highchair, pack n play, etc. 
* Grandma has health issues.  I'm not sure of all the details, but it is respiratory-related.  I don't think she leaves the house much, except for medical appointments.  Since Grandma often can't leave home, that's the reason we started meeting at Grandma's house.  Grandma is also overweight.  When Grandma used to attend the meetings at church, she was always in a motorized scooter.  At home, she is always in her recliner.  If someone gave M to Grandma, she would be able to safely hold him, but I don't see Grandma being able to go downstairs to be with M at any time, or be able to play with M on the floor once he is older. 
* Once M arrived, Mom requested that there be no visitors until after M is baptized around Thanksgiving time.  I can understand that, having somewhat recently been a new mom myself, wanting to limit the new, tiny baby's exposure to unnecessary germs, etc.  When I shared that opinion with the group, the majority of the members (all of which are mothers, many are also grandmothers) seemed to be that this was excessive and a hardship for Grandma as it really limited Grandma's ability to interact with our group, which might be her only social outlet.  I don't intend to debate that point here, just share the reason our group wants to celebrate the new Grandma. 
* Mom is the only child for Grandma and Grandpa.  If I recall correctly, during the pregnancy, Grandma shared that Mom and Dad tried to have kids for many years (maybe 10?) and pursued fertility treatments that were not successful, then ended up pregnant on their own.  So M is a very special baby for the entire family. 
* I think Mom appreciates top-notch items.  Earlier this fall, the pack n play was set up and I noted that it had the newborn napper and changing table upgrades.  Grandma shared that Mom was able to find the travel system used for "only" $400 (I can't remember the brand).  Many boxes were being delivered earlier this fall before the baby arrived. 
* After my LO was born, the group had a baby shower for me, that was held at Grandma's house.  Grandma did all the games (that she researched on the internet) and had really nice prizes (baby spoons, bath toy, stacking toy, designer burp cloths from an Etsy shop, etc) that I obviously got to take home, and purchased cute matching plates, silverware, cups, and napkins.  And made a banner.  Grandma really went all out for me and my LO. 

I'd really like to get something nice or thoughtful or special for Grandma.  I'm just not very creative or inspired and would appreciate your help. 

Hmmm.  Maybe a photo album, or baby / memory book or "all about things when grandma and grandpa grew up" book.  Grandma used to (maybe still does?) edit the monthly church newsletter, so seems to be good at writing and documenting things. 

Re: Gift ideas for Grandma shower

• Options
    That's a really nice idea @pinesnow‌ ! I'll have to do some checking as to the preferred name and I may ask for a recommendation as to which Etsy shop you used. Thank you!
  • Options
    AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited November 2014
    I 3rd the necklace idea. That is very thoughtful of your group.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I love the necklace idea.  But I'm also a scrapbooker, so I like the idea of a scrapbook.  Is grandma at all interested in more stationary crafts like that? You can make digital scrapbooks where you just upload your pictures, pick out backgrounds and accents, etc.

Since she's part of your Bible study group, what about a really nice, leather bound, embossed, family Bible? The bigger ones have family tree pages.  That might be something she could fill out for herself, but more importantly, pass it down to M eventually.

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"