I am undecided about homeschooling.
6% 7 votes
I will probably not be homeschooling.
11% 12 votes
I will definitely not be homeschooling.
79% 84 votes

Re: Clicky Poll - Homeschooling

• Options
    Grayson will be going to a public school. Hopefully in the same school district that I went to.
    image imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do not have the patience to be a mom and a teacher. We have no plans of homeschooling, but if for some reason we run into some type of issue with public school down the line I may be open to it. If we like, hire someone else to come in to our home to teach. Does that count?

• Options
    Nope. Ds1 is enrolled in private pre k and will continue at that school for elementary school. My friend home schools her 7 kids and is amazing at it. She is a former elementary school teacher.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. Never. I'm a teacher, but also a bit of a curriculum junkie. I will be following closely but being that 4 out of the top 10 districts in the country are in my county, I have a lot of faith in the system that I work in to get kids college ready.

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    34blondie said:
    My plan is definitely not. I've also learned to never say never if there is a situation where it might be the right choice for our kid(s).
    +1. 

Anniversary

• Options
    No way.  DD would get a crap education from me.  She may go to private school though.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Options
    momofcatanmomofcatan member
    edited November 2014
    No. I like the idea, but there is no way I could do it.

• Options
    I used to say never, and now I say we probably will homeschool.  The public schools in our city have a 40% graduation rate, and we can't afford private.  Charters are very hit or miss, and the ones I would be comfortable with have a lottery to get in and only accept a tiny percentage of applicants. This conundrum has lead us to a lot of research on education in general and homeschooling in particular.  Peter Grey's Free to Learn was an interesting read that helped me reconsider my preconceptions about how education happens. I certainly don't claim H and I are able to teach LO everything she needs to know, but I feel confident in our ability to connect her with the resources she needs.  There are several other homeschooling families in our neighborhood, so I feel like we could have a great support network if we choose to go down this path.  I will always be open to letting LO attend school if and when she chooses to, but homeschooling is looking like a great place to start for us.
  • Options
    Nope. My dad was a HS science teacher and my mom was an elementary school teacher. They both had masters in education and there is no way they could have given me a complete education. I might be willing to do online school if we want to travel extensively while DD is in school.

I have the same feelings. My mom is an elementary school teacher with a masters in education. She is a great teacher but she could never have given me the quality of education I received in school. I was in a language immersion program too @GraceInCA‌ , and we plan to put our kids in the same. 

I know every situation is different, but I have seen firsthand many kids come into the public system after being homeschooled (2 of which are DH's little half brother and sister. His bio dad's kids from his 2nd marriage) and they have all been at least a full year behind their peers. Not to mention lots of small things that fell through the cracks.  The other problem I have with homeschooling is that I don't think the kids get nearly enough peer interaction and competition.  Not only did we play school sports, go on school trips, etc.  But just the challenge of being in the classroom with 18 other kids.  Having to think quickly enough to raise your hand first to answer a question, striving to do better on your next paper because the class average is too close to your grade (I was competitive in school as you can see, lol).  But those situations really pushed me to work harder.  If I was only ever graded against myself it wouldn't be nearly as challenging and I probably wouldn't have tried as hard. 
    div style="text-align: center;">

• Options
    Absolutely not homeschooling. I'm a smart person but I could never do the job of a teacher...they work hard to really educate children...God bless them
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Not, because tired

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    I'm leaning towards more of a private school, because I want the smaller school experience for Lily.  There are less kids falling through cracks and such with a lower student to teacher ratio.  If we need to homeschool, I will.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"