VBAC

WWYD?

kerrigrooveskerrigrooves member
edited November 2014 in VBAC
My OB just informed me that she's going to be away on vacation the week of my due date.  She delivered my DD via c-sec (breech) and is supportive of VBACs.  I asked her if I should see another Dr in her practice and she said to wait a little longer to see if baby is in right position and/or I may deliver early.  I feel like I should switch care now so that I am more likely to have a successful VBAC.  

Would you switch or wait?

Re: WWYD?

• If you were to switch care would you see another doctor in the practice for the remainder of your pregnancy?  What concerns you about having a different OB for delivery that makes you think a VBAC would not be successful?

I am not trying to downplay your concerns.  My OB was on vacation for my first and I remember thinking it would be the pits to have another doctor - I chose the OB I have for a reason.  If I'd wanted to go with another one in the practice I would have.

Personally, I would stay with my regular doctor since you are comfortable with her.  You spend way more time with your OB in the prenatal care period than you do during the labor and delivery.

I had a successful VBAC in August (DS1 born c-section for macrosomia) and the baby was not delivered by my OB.  The OB group I attend is part of a hospital system and you get whichever OB is at the hospital for the actual birth.  There are something like 50 doctors in the system I could have had for the actual labor and delivery.  I would only have had my OB for delivery for sure if I had scheduled a repeat c-section or got lucky and had the baby when he was on the OB on the floor.  Conveniently I had met the OB who was on the floor and delivered DS2, but I'm not sure it would have mattered.  The whole system is supportive of VBACs and by the time I was in active labor I could have cared less whose hands were there to catch the baby.   
  • kerrigrooveskerrigrooves member
    edited November 2014
    I appreciate the post - Im glad to hear you had a successful VBAC with another OB.  At my next appt, Ill just make sure all of the other Drs in the practice are just as supportive of VBACs as my OB is.    I dont mind having another *OB I just have expressed how important this is to me and she knows it....

edited: OB not another vbac :)
  • Loading the player...
  • @kerrigrooves My pleasure!  Good luck with your l & d of LO #2.  I like to think OBs tend to partner with other like minded OBs and that the whole practice is generally VBAC friendly (probably wishful thinking) .  The OB who delivered my second son is definitely not the OB I want for prenatal care and regular gyn needs, just not my style.  She was great for delivery.

It might also be beneficial when you go into labor to talk to your nurse about how important it is to you to have a VBAC if you have a different OB.  I found the nurses are super great about helping you advocate for yourself.
  • It is good to check. My doctor was supportive but was also upfront that the other doctors in the practice weren't. He recommended changing practices if it was important to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"