October 2013 Moms

Christmas Tree???

With our LOs being mostly mobile and very curious now, if you put up a Christmas tree how are planning to make it safe? I can see DD a) trying to climb it, b) trying to eat it, c) knocking it over, d) all of the above. We have already decided to do a fake tree - trigger the sads, but the idea of DD eating pine needles is too much. 

Re: Christmas Tree???

• We're putting the tree in the dining room this year.  We keep the dog and babies separated with many gates, so the dining room and kitchen are off limits to babies unless we are holding them or they are in their high chairs.  It makes me sad because I usually like it in the living room so I can sit on the couch and look at it, but there's no room in our living room this year anyway because we still have a changing table there.  Hopefully by next year we'll get it back in its usual spot. 

image4months_2radioflyer
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We are also moving ours out of the living room this year and made space in the dinning room after playing musical furniture. It will be the safest corner and least likely that Hudson will be able the get near it.
    Previous to that we thought of possibly putting it in a corner in the living room and slightly blocking that corner by the couch. Sounds worse then it was being visioned.
  • Loading the player...
  • I put ours up yesterday and used stuffed animals and plastic balls to decorate instead of glass ornaments. 

Like this, but this is not mine:image
    November: Doing my own thing

• I'm still going to put mine in the living room, and just see how she does. I keep a close eye on her at all times. Maybe sans ornaments or ornaments up high.
  • We have 2. :-/ Not loving SO for that. lol They are both fake (I despise fake trees). We do put glass ornaments on them because SO happens to love those. One is in our living room and one is upstairs in the man cave/play room. We have wood floors... I put the more plastic ornaments lower (we have a few) and the glass ones a little higher on the tree.

IF you do put one up like ours, just keep an eye out. We have had little issues. This is with kids who all want to touch them (yeah, even the older ones), 2 wiener dogs who slide across the floors, and 2 cats. One likes to hide in the tree. :-/ I view it as an annoyance, but also as an excellent teaching tool on learning "don't touch!".
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • deedee1017deedee1017 member
    edited November 2014
    I'm just going to put it up and hope for the best.  I want dd to enjoy it too. We will try to put the glass ornaments up high.  We put it in the formal living room where we come in and out of the house every day, so it'll be out of her playroom but still accessable.  We will just keep an eye out on her.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I replaced most of my glass ornaments with non breakable ones. The few glass ones I do have go on the top of the tree. We will put the tree in the normal spot and just keep a close eye on him.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am getting a 5 ft tree and putting it on top of an end table. There is usually a plant there and Molly doesn't bother it. She doesn't get on the couch by herself so I have my fingers crossed that she doesn't destroy it/pull it down on herself.
  • We're putting ours in the living room as usual but putting our big play pen/gate thing around it.... Not so pretty but I want to actually see it. Also I'm not putting any ornaments that are breakable near the bottom.
  • Ours has always gone in the formal living room, which is at the front of the house (it's fake too).  We don't go in there much, so I'm not too worried about her getting into it.  We won't put any of our favorite ornaments at the bottom.  

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • We just put ours up last night and we didn't change anything that we normally do with it. It's in the same spot we always put it. If he starts getting close to the tree we just say "no no please don't touch" and if he tries to touch it, we move him away from it and encourage him to pick out a toy to play with. It worked for ds1 and so far he has left it alone. He does get testy and gets super close, but doesn't touch it lol.
  • I was going to put a dog pen around it, but not sure how stable it would be. Thinking about just doing our pre-lit tree bare.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• I already put mine up. And maci is usually into everything. She is way more curious than my son was! But surprisingly she doesn't bother it at all. I did put all the non breakable ones on the bottom and the ones that can't hurt her if she were to pull them off. I kinda felt like if I keep it in the living room then i can teach her not to touch. This way when she's at families, she already knows not to touch. But she really doesn't mess with it.
  • We're putting ours up in the normal spot in the living room. We will tie it back with some twine to the wall though-probably use Command Hooks on the wall. We are also going to try something I saw on Pinterest where you wrap large boxes that either have a few bricks in them or weights to make a present looking fence. We'll see how it goes.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The formal living room is now her play room so it will go in the family room. She is usually held in that room bc she turns the cable box on/off a million times and climbs into the fireplace. Most of my ornaments are glass and expensive so we'll see how it goes. I'm sure it is too tall for that room so we may have to go topless.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

• edited November 2014
    I saw an awesome tip yesterday for this very thing. Put jingle bells all over the tree so that if you step away and LO gets into the tree, you'll hear it. Genius!
  • I saw an awesome tip yesterday for this very thing. Put jingle bells all over the tree so that if you step away and LO gets into the tree, you'll hear it. Genius!
    that is a good idea!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"