August 2014 Moms

Eczema

DD was just diagnosed with eczema at the doctor this morning.

Short back story: DD's skin had been getting drier and drier over the past weeks so last week I tried coconut oil as a moisturizer. The next day she woke up and was covered in a bumpy rash. I called and the nurse said to monitor her for breathing issues, wash off the oil, and keep an eye on the rash. After that she still looked dry but not as rashy. This morning her poor skin looked like she was covered in hives again!

We've been told to use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. We are supposed to put the lotion on about 3-4 times per day. Along with that we were given a prescription oil to use for times that she "flares up." We're waiting for the local pharmacy to get that in on Monday but I'm a little weary about using it because online the reactions include redness, itching, and eczema (exactly what it is supposed to treat!)

Anyone else dealing with baby eczema or personal experience? My father has it but it's easily treated with using body wash (rather than bar soap) and moisturizer daily

Re: Eczema

• This is a picture I found on the net that looks like her skin does right now. I feel so bad for her!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD had a mild case of eczema on her face.  I thought it was just baby acne or rosy cheeks and I sure did feel like an idiot when the pedi told me it was eczema.  Anyway, he prescribed CeraVe lotion for her (no wash because it was just on her face).  I was having trouble remembering to apply the lotion as often as I should, so I started to apply it during diaper changes.  I just keep the lotion on the changing table.  Hope your LO gets some relief soon!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DD1 has mild eczema. As long as we stick to the right products we can keep it under control. We do use a prescription steroid ointment on spots when they get out of control. I've never seen anything as bad as the picture so I'm sorry I don't have further advice.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have eczema.....and I am a pharmacist.  When I have flares I use triamcinolone ointment 0.1%, but as long as I stay on top of things I hardly ever flare.  For maintenance the dermatologist I know told me to use 50% petrolatum (Vasoline) and 50% mineral oil (mix it together...this is basically the recipe for Aquaphor).  I apply this mixture after I get out of the shower, although I often forget and apply it when I see signs of a flare. 

At the last visit, my pedi noticed some areas that looked like possible early eczema flares on LO.  He said to use lots of lotion and did not object to my special vasoline/mineral oil stuff the derm recommends.  So I use that on LO as well.  I generally apply it twice a day to the dry areas and all over after his bath.  

As far as the side effects.....I need to know the med. 
    We were told to avoid using Aquaphor because it's too thick and the skin can't breath? I use it at night on her bum to prevent diaper rash and it works great. In fact her whole diaper area looks better than her body. 

The doctor also said no more fleece PJ's....

So the prescription is: Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil Oil 0.01%   I'm curious of your thoughts as a pharmacist?

• I'm having the same eczema issue. My son looks like that picture. His biggest culprit is heat. There's fine between keeping baby cool enough and warm enough. Ugh... I've used derma smoothe, but then something will happen , like he spits up (because he has reflux also) and its back to square one. Or he gets too warm in the night and wakes up super red. I'm at a loss. And of course he's scalp is super dry and he scratches and toss and turn. Maybe I should save this for Monday bitch fest. Oh yeah , neck is always wet /red while body is super dry. Did I mention he's still feeding every 2 hours. Just saying.
  • My older DD gets it quite a bit in her elbows...and around her eyes which is really gross cause i cant really do much about it there. She has a steroid cream that works really well at clearing it up. I have started noticing it on DD #2, but its more like scaly, on her legs. Ive used the steroid cream on it and its working. I plan to speak to her pedi about it at her appt next month.
    Mom to Frances, 6, Adam, 4, and baby Lila.
  • Ds2 has some mild eczema. I cut dairy and we use waxelene and his skin is so much clearer now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"