Natural Birth

Home birth?

Hi all! 

I meet with the midwives next week, but i'd like to do a home birth if i can.  This is my first pregnancy, and i have no clue as to what to expect from my body.  I have no known health conditions other than occasional bad headaches, but am overweight (BMI around 33).  I know i will need to watch my weight more than others during pregnancy no matter what.  Do i even stand a chance of a home birth, or will that rule me out right away?  The next option would be a birthing center, which isn't bad, but it is a ways from home.

Thanks!

Re: Home birth?

• The midwives you consult with will go over your medical history and decide whether you qualify as low risk. A high BMI alone doesn't usually disqualify one from having a home or OOH birth. If you have long standing diabetes (type I or II) then that may not make you a candidate (definitely so for type I).

I had a very high BMI when I was planning a homebirth with #3 and #4. I weighed significantly less at the start of this pregnancy. My weight was never a concern, and I didn't have preexisting health issues or anything worrisome (BP on the lower end, no issues with glucose intolerance, etc).
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• @RunawayLaurel - I'm not sure if Laurel frequents this board but I know that she's planning a homebirth.  She may have some valuable information! 

Hi Laurel!  :)
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the heads up, @CandaceC1020 (and AHH you're almost done :) ) !

Are you meeting with one particular midwife, or is it a practice? I'm going to a practice with 5 midwives, and (I think) since they've been practicing for many years and have many connections with physicians and hospitals in the area, they take all different birth situations. If you're seeing a solo midwife, she might have a different setup and be less comfortable. I hope you can have the birth experience you want. I haven't had my homebirth yet but I am really looking forward to it!
    *****************siggy/ticker warning*****************************

-Me: anovulatory/ hypothalamic amenorrhea / H: all good
    -IUI  Medicated TI Cycle #1 (Dec): Menopur  + Ovidrel + TI  = BFN
    -Benched for work issues Jan/Feb
    -IUI 1.2: Menopur + Ovidrel = BFN
    -IVF #1- Menopur + Follistim = 12R / 7M / 4F -- first beta-260, second 520. EDD 2/22/15

Welcome Dane 02/09!

• Thanks!  Its a midwife practice, and they're (almost) the only game in town as far as my area goes, so i'm guessing they've seen a lot.  Thanks for the info, all, i really appreciate it.  I'm sure i'll have more crazy questions as things keep going along!
  • I don't think your weight alone would be a reason to consider you high risk at all. My midwives attend home births and I know a few of their other clients who are overweight. I've never heard anything mentioned about it. Weight is not an issue, it is more the lifestyle factors that can contribute to weight gain that also put you at risk of other issues. Your midwives will go over everything with you but I wouldn't be surprised if your weight doesn't even get mentioned at all. 

I'm a FTM and planning a home birth and think a lot of it comes down to taking personal responsibility for lowering your risks. Regardless of your starting weight or reasons behind it, just focus on a healthy diet and exercise plan during pregnancy. Not only does this lower your risks and support a healthier baby, but your delivery and recovery will be easier too and you'll feel better during pregnancy. PM me if you want to talk about home births, we are really excited for ours! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"