Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Natural Miscarriage or D&C

I will/would be 9 weeks tmrw but am experiencing a blighted ovum. Dr said it could take up to 4 weeks for my body to realize I'm not truly pregnant. I am starting to lean towards surgery bc I hate the fact that I'm prolonging this. I really want this whole thing to be over so I can move forward and not wait and anticipate. I know it's a personal decision but advice? It's right at the holidays too so dealing with this now is awful. Surgery or continue to wait.it.out...

Re: Natural Miscarriage or D&C

• Options
    Another vote for a d&c. I write this as I'm lying on the couch a few hours after mine. Maybe you have a higher tolerance for passing blood and tissue than I do, but I just couldn't stomach doing it at home. Plus I wanted the baby out ASAP. I was 9 weeks when the baby passed, just a few days ago.

The d&c was painless, now I have mild cramps and light bleeding. I feel so fortunate I got to do this in a controlled medical environment and recover peacefully at home.
  • Options
    Gosh I'm so sorry for your loss. I know this is just horrible and I hope we both can move forward quickly. Sending hugs and prayers your way.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just had my 3rd d & c today. It is definitely a relief I feel like I can breathe now and some weight is lifted off my shoulders now its just time to grieve and take care of myself and my family. I strongly suggest d & c. Sorry to hear of your loss make sure you take time to heal and grieve.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. (Hugs) It is a personal decision. My last natural mc lasted 28 days of bleeding, so if I could go back I would request a d/c. Again, only you and your dr can make the decision.

Me: 31 DH: 36
    Dated Since ‘02, Married in ‘06
    BFP#1 05/16/06, EDD01/16/07, MC 06/12/06 at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 08/14/14, EDD 04/22/15, MC 09/17/14 at 9 weeks

My Chart

• Options
    So sorry you are having to go through this. I have myself just taken this decision today (blighted ovum at 8 weeks) and going for the natural route. We discussed this with our doctor and the only way I would have opted for d&c would be in case we go ahead for the genetic karyotyping, which we do not wish to do.

I know, there all the blood and pain but am going ahead with the natural induction by medicine - it allows me to grieve and find closure (had a miscarriage earlier in March too).

Please discuss with your doctor and go ahead with the procedure that feels right for you. Thoughts and prayers for you. Take care.

• Options
    So sorry for your loss. I partially miscarried before my D&C and I can say it was terrible, so I'm for the surgery route.
    DD born 6/14/13 MC Nov 2014 BFP on Mother's Day EDD 1/6/16
  • Options
    I have done the cytotec to "help" the mc along and it was aweful. None of the choices are really anything we want to go through, but between the options I chose to go for the D&C this last time. I had originally told my OB that I wanted to just go the natural route and wait. But then I found myself doing exactly that, just waiting, not being able to move on. I ended up calling her and scheduling the D&C after a few days. I don't regret that decision. 
    Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss and that your have to make this tough decision.
    I chose to have a D&C because I couldn't stand waiting around for it to happen. 
    Keeping you in my T&Ps.

Me-27 DH-29

TTC#1 January 2013

BFP February 27th 2014, MMC ended in D&C

Working on our rainbow!

Curious about my ute?

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss! I found out at 8w6d that my baby stopped growing at 5w. That was almost two weeks ago and I decided that I wanted a second opinion before I got a D&C. I felt I owed it to the baby. I got a sonogram the next day and the doctor confirmed the loss and told me that a D&C was the best option. I ended up waiting almost a week to get it mainly because I didn't want to get a D&C cause it's like $800 out of pocket for us and I didn't want to add to my husband's plate. (We are in the process of moving out of state for a new job when all this went down. My husband wanted me to try to wait it out,but I started miscarrying naturally on Wednesday. By Thursday morning, I was in so much pain that my obgyn ended up prescribing me pills to speed up the miscarrage. I went back to the doctor Friday am in more pain than I was on Thursday even while I was taking pain killers. Just standing up for a few minutes was painful. Obviously the pills didn't work, plus my doctor(who is new to the practice) seemed very flustered cause I still had tissue that wasn't coming out and I was bleeding badly and in so much pain. My husband had to say that enough was enough cause I was in so much pain. Long story short, I ended up getting a D&C later that morning at the hospital adjacent to my doctor's office and I physically feel great. I didn't even feel a thing! I would get the D&C if I were you because it's over and done with. Plus, you don't want to get an infection which could lead to greater health problems if one wants to conceive again. I wish you the best whatever decision you make.
  • Options
    I too was diagnosed with a blighted ovum! I opted for a D&C and im glad i did, i want it to be over and that was the fastest way. I also didn't want to be caught of guard with a natural miscarriage, the D&C was quick and the recovery wasn't bad. I took off from school and spent a few days at home to take it all in.
    Met 10/27/2006 & Married 6/7/2014
    BFP 8/30/2104 | EDD 5/11/2015 | MS 10/3/2014 | D&C 10/7/2014
    BFP 12/31/2014 | EDD 9/13/2015 PLEASE be our RAINBOW

• Options
    I found out at my Nuchal Scan that my baby died around 10 weeks. My body didn't seem to know that the baby died. I had no bleeding or cramping. I didn't want to wait … I also felt a horrible sadness carrying around a baby that was no longer living. 

I had my D&C on Wednesday (11/12) and am happy I can get through this quicker. Although I am obviously still grieving, I am hoping we can start trying again in a couple months (sooner than waiting it out). I am still sore from surgery, but hoping to get better with each day.

I am sorry for your loss and wish you the best. 

((hugs))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"