Stay at Home Moms
Options

Need Advice Explaining Something

A couple of weeks ago, DD must have said something to my MIL about her falling in love with either DH or me or both.  My MIL must have corrected her, because DD started asking me why she had to fall in love with someone outside of the family.  Needless to say it was hard to explain and she came out seeming confused and perhaps a little sad.  I mean really, how do you explain falling in love vs the love you have for your other family members?

Fast forward to last night, she was saying that one day she is going to fall in love with her brother and marry him.  She went on to say that Noah (DS) is a nice guy and her best friend.  It's very touching that she loves her brother so much, she is so nurturing to him and of course he adores her.  I pretty much didn't say anything because I wanted to think on it a little more.  What should I say?  How do I explain this without further confusing her or making her sad?   

Re: Need Advice Explaining Something

• Options
    Oh that is a tough one. Honestly, I would probably just see if she mentions it again. Oh sheesh I don't even know!
  • Options
    DD talks about marrying her brother and having kids together. I don't even try right now. I don't think you need to explain. They will figure things out soon enough.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friends' kids say they are going to get married all the time, they are 5 and 3. They also want to be brother-sister garbage collectors. It's cute, I wouldn't worry about it at this age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    DaisyZH said:

My friends' kids say they are going to get married all the time, they are 5 and 3. They also want to be brother-sister garbage collectors. It's cute, I wouldn't worry about it at this age.

All of this.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks everyone, this was really helpful.  DH and I talked it over last night and we think we will leave it alone right now. 
  • Options
    I agree with PP's that it may be best to just leave it be at the moment. 

In my kindergarten classroom, when this issue comes up, I tell them there are different kinds of love and the marrying kind isn't for kids, only grown ups.  Then I tell them that teachers can love their students like mommies love their babies and kids can love their teacher and family, but it's not the marrying kind of love.  5 year olds are very interested in this, so the subject inevitably comes up at some point in the year!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"