August 2012 Moms
Options

LO's Favorite (Board) Books

What are your LO's favorite books right now (preferably board books)?

I'm looking to expand DD's library.  Alot of her books I think she's out grown - she has a lot of simle picture books versus books with stories! 

I'd prefer board books because the hold up better when they are tossed overboard from her carseat!   I also tend to buy online alot (since it easier).  But the problem with buying books you haven't read before is that I don't want to end up getting board books that are too simplistic.

So far these are popular board books in our house.

Karen Katz books ... we have a ton.  Her 2nd birthday party was Karen Katz (Peek a boo) theamed!  Doubt I need more like this!

Sandra Boyton books ... we only have a few.  Barn Yard Dance is great!  She likes Red Hat Blue hat, although its pretty simplistic and possibly out growing.  We have the ABC one, but she dooesn't seem interested in that one much.  What other Boyton books are good for older kids (2-3 yrs)?  Meaning, more like Barn Yard Dance than Red Hat Blue Hat?

Dr. Susess ... we have the nose board book.  DD likes it.  I'm not a fan of Dr. Susess ... I don't like that the stories dont make sence and that the amaimals are not real animals.  But I'd be curious if anyone likes any of the other Dr. Susess board books.

Obviously we have Good Night Moon, Runaway Bunny, Hungry Catipillar, Home for a Bunny, and some others.

I also picked up some cheap $1 store board books, but those also tend to more simplistic.  But are good to introduce differant characters (super heros, princeses, etc).  I went to a consignment shop and got some used books with Disney characters, but they are all paper books, so they aren't the best for the car!

I just want some good board books for toddlers (not babies!)

TIA

My Journey to Motherhood
Me 36, DH 42
7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
TTC Since January 2009
Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
TTC Since June 2013
Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
EDD 10/15/16
At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: LO's Favorite (Board) Books

• Options
    there are songs that go with all those sandra boynton books. if you sing the songs along to the book it's fun-- DS loves your personal penguin.

RE books being too simplistic- interact with them in a different way. ask your LO to help you read the story, or ask her what color different things are, or how many of certain items there are (here's a cool tip sheet).

also, check out the library! sometimes i'm surprised by what DS is into. get out a bunch of board books (or just read in the library) and see what authors, characters, or characteristics your LO likes.

DS's favorite board books:
    • my car, trucks, and the three bears by byron barton
    • dear zoo, by rod campbell
    • trucks go and diggers go, by steve light (also, planes go and trains go)
    • touchthinklearn series by xavier deneux (these have a tactile element which is fun)
    • anything maisy (lucy cousins)
    • i kissed the baby, by mary murphy (DS loved this as a baby and still enjoys it, i always act out the book with him when i read it)
    • DS has a lift-the-flap word book with photographs that he likes looking at by himself- roger priddy and DK both have good ones
    • leslie patricelli has cute board books- DS thought toot (about farting) was hilarious, and and also enjoys potty (ironic, since he has no interest in the real-life potty)

not board books:
    • the tiny king, by taro miura
    • all of me!, by molly bang
    • elephant and piggie series, by mo willems (actually a beginning reader series, but they're hilarious and great for reading out loud)
    • mighty dads, by joan holub (i hate it, but he loves it)
    • hug machine, by scott campbell
    • peck peck peck, by lucy cousins
    i'll try to remember to add more later once i get home (i'm probably forgetting some).
  • Options
    Favorites in our house are:
    Dear Zoo
    Goodnight Gorilla
    Little Blue Truck
    Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
    But Not the Hippopotomus (Boynton)
    Snuggle Puppy (Boynton)
    The Going to Bed Book (Boynton)
    The Best Mouse Cookie

Favorite non-board book at the moment is:
    Can a Rooater Drive a Tractor
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Some favorites in our house right now (I'm not sure if you can get them all in board books though):

Little Blue Truck

The Day the Crayons Quit

Any of the pigeon books by Mo Willems

La Luna

Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site

Any of the Llama Llama books

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!  Looking through them we do have some of them on our shelf (Like the Mo Williams Peigon books).  She also liked the Maisy book I barrowed from the library over the summer, so I should check more of those out!

Maybe I'll take DD to the library this weekend as vvvvfee suggesed.  I only take her on occasion (I know I'm horrible).  With working full time I usually can't take her during the week.  And they are closed on Sunday.  So that only leave Saturdays, which is when we usually do swim class or visit friends and family.  I also find myself forgetting to get the books back on time and then having a $20 over due fee!  Oops!  So much for barrowing books to save me money!  LOL!

I tend to make more of an effort to get to the library when there is a specific topic of books I want for DD to help with transitions.  Like when she started school I barrowed a bunch of books about school.  (Spot, Maisy, Bye Bye Time).  She liked them, but I didn't feel like I needed a whole collection about "starting school".  But I do like books to help with transitions.

@vvvvfee - you mentioned the Boyton books all have songs that go along with the stories?  Where did you find the beat of the songs?  Are there recordings of the songs?  I do "sing" Barn Yard Dance ... but not sure of the beat of some of the others.  I like the idea of singing the books.  We sing the book "B is for Bear".  I leanred the beat from DH's cousin! 

DD does love books.  And we do have a decent collection.  One problem I have is that she goes through about 3 books on the drive to day care.  I don;t like to give her paper books in the car becasue somehow they are more likey to get ripped!  This morning she ripped "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish".  UG!  But yet we don't have that problem at home!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    i totally get it about not being able to make it to the library. you could stop by a large chain bookstore and look at the boardbooks, see if anything tickles your fancy (and then buy them for cheaper on amazon ;) ).

my library has CDs of the sandra boynton songs, but a lot of the songs are on youtube if you search.

one suggestion for the car would be cloth books (i am perhaps overly paranoid about heavy objects becoming projectiles in the event of a car accident). DS has this one that keeps him pretty busy. search "cloth books" on amazon for more. they're pretty much indestructible and if they get dirty you can throw them in the washing machine. or what about singing along to music?
  • Options
    Dd and ds both love the little blue truck
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DS really loves the Gossie books, Penguin & Pinecone, and A Color Of His Own. His godmother works at a book store in the childrens department so she always gives us the best books :)
    blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
  • Options
    Not classics, but my DD can spend very large chunks of time with the First Look and Find books, which are board books.  We have the Bubble Guppies one and the Mickey Mouse one.  We also have an Elmo flap book that she looks at for long periods and is a board book (although she has torn off a few flaps).  The most mature books we are reading are probably the Elephant and Piggie ones.  She loves them and I definitely see how they can help with reading development.
  • Options
    Brown bear brown bear is a cute one. We have one that is a slider book.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    DD likes a lot of the ones mentioned here, like Dear Zoo and Brown Bear, Brown Bear. She's also really into Olivia and Babar, and for non-board books she likes the ones about Angus the Scottie (by Marjorie Flack). She loves Boynton books like the Belly Button Book and But not the Hippopotamus. Someone gave us two books called 'A Home for Bird' and 'The woman who named things' and they're super cute. Not board books but not too many words per page.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"