October 2013 Moms
Options

Fever for more than 4 days

hi everyone, my 1 yr old has had a fever for more than 4 days. Since we are currently living abroad (and we came to visit my parents in Texas) we had to pay all out of pocket when we took him to a pediatrician. He checked him and said he didn't have anything. It could be a uti but the testing could be done a few days later if the fever persist. Has anyone gone through this? I've been giving him tylenol and Advil, and I barely bought Motrin to see if it works better. He is drinking less than usual and not eating much solids. Sleeping his normal hrs but at night he cries/complains. If anyone is from Houston, can you give me the name of a good clinic (just in case I have to go again)

Re: Fever for more than 4 days

• Options
    Sorry you're going through this, mama! My son also is on day 4 of fevers (we took him to the pediatrician yesterday). We also couldn't figure out what is wrong but he said that if fever persists for more than 4 days, then antibiotics are indicated. My son is currently on amoxicillin.

Also, Motrin and Advil have the same active ingredient (ibuprofen) so Motrin is unlikely to work any better.

How high have his fevers been?
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is the medicine bringing the fever down? Make sure you are giving enough of Tylenol and Motrin, based on weight if you can, at the intervals specified on the box.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    After a couple days of a fever, your LO should be seen. The body is trying to fight something off.  Please take your child to be seen. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Also, consider this: fever is your body's way of fighting infection, so if you are constantly keeping the fever down, then it can't do it's job. It's okay to let your son's fever reach 101 (or even higher, but I know most aren't comfortable with this) without treating it if he doesn't seem miserable from it.

I know this may be unpopular but it's true, and it's Thursday, so why not...
    imageimage
  • Options
    Also, consider this: fever is your body's way of fighting infection, so if you are constantly keeping the fever down, then it can't do it's job. It's okay to let your son's fever reach 101 (or even higher, but I know most aren't comfortable with this) without treating it if he doesn't seem miserable from it. I know this may be unpopular but it's true, and it's Thursday, so why not...
    I agree.  

My pediatrician also said if your child has even a low grade fever for 3 or more days, bring them in.

• Options

Also, consider this: fever is your body's way of fighting infection, so if you are constantly keeping the fever down, then it can't do it's job. It's okay to let your son's fever reach 101 (or even higher, but I know most aren't comfortable with this) without treating it if he doesn't seem miserable from it.

I know this may be unpopular but it's true, and it's Thursday, so why not...

I agree.  

My pediatrician also said if your child has even a low grade fever for 3 or more days, bring them in.

Yes, this also. My pedi said the same.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Is OP even reading the responses? @Abreezyy‌ , you there? How's the little guy doing?
    imageimage
  • Options
    My baby got a random fever a week after his shots. He had it for a couple days and then it went away. Has he had any recent vaccines? His little head feels so hot at times, I blame teething. I remember my ds1 would get fevers when teething too.
  • Options

Is OP even reading the responses? @Abreezyy‌ , you there? How's the little guy doing?

Yes I'm here... I gave him Motrin right now and gave him his bottle.
  • Options

Sorry you're going through this, mama! My son also is on day 4 of fevers (we took him to the pediatrician yesterday). We also couldn't figure out what is wrong but he said that if fever persists for more than 4 days, then antibiotics are indicated. My son is currently on amoxicillin.

Also, Motrin and Advil have the same active ingredient (ibuprofen) so Motrin is unlikely to work any better.

His fevers have been around 101... Our belgian pedi told us to take him to the doc when he had more than 39C for more than 48hrs, then when I went to look for a pedi, some clinics told us the opposite! That it was bad to keep him with a fever and that we should take him to the hospital!
  • Options

Is the medicine bringing the fever down? Make sure you are giving enough of Tylenol and Motrin, based on weight if you can, at the intervals specified on the box.

When we took him to the pedi, they gave us his appropriate dosage and it was the same one we were giving him. The pedi didn't find anything and told us to just continue to give him tylenol/Motrin.
  • Options
    Abreezyy said:

His fevers have been around 101... Our belgian pedi told us to take him to the doc when he had more than 39C for more than 48hrs, then when I went to look for a pedi, some clinics told us the opposite! That it was bad to keep him with a fever and that we should take him to the hospital!
    Agreed that the baby needs to be seen and treated because the fevers aren't going away. Just suggesting that they don't always need to be brought down. 101 is not a bad fever. Before we took my son, his fever reached 103 and 104. He's okay.
    imageimage
  • Options

After a couple days of a fever, your LO should be seen. The body is trying to fight something off.  Please take your child to be seen. 

I did take him to be seen yesterday... If the fever continues for a few more days, I'll prob take him again for the bladder/UTI infection he said might be causing the fever. The pedi said he was fine, no ear infection, throat, no rash so it could be the temperature?
  • Options
    Ycu2013 said:

My baby got a random fever a week after his shots. He had it for a couple days and then it went away. Has he had any recent vaccines? His little head feels so hot at times, I blame teething. I remember my ds1 would get fevers when teething too.

He won't be getting his 12 month vaccines till January since we will be in Texas til then. The pedi said it was fine.
  • Options
    Update------
    We took him to another doctor today bc his temperature was 104. At first they said no walk in and to take him to the hospital bc since we didn't have insurance here, the clinic would charge us a lot. But my mom said it was fine and so they did some testing, no ear infection, nothing with his lungs, then they did the flu testing and that came back negative!!... So he didn't have anything!!! The good thing is that the doctor gave us amoxicillin to give him 3x/d.... I hope he gets better asap!...
    Thank you all for the advice and for everything!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    We had an unexplained fever for 3+days of 103.3. It got higher at night and was controlled with meds. Turned out it was roseola, we made an appointment with the pedi, that morning DD broke out in a rash on her trunk. I as told that it could last between 5-7 days.
    I'm glad that they gave you antibiotics for your LO. Keep us posted on how he is doing!
  • Options
    Glad its nothing serious. I hope he's feeling better soon.

• Options
    "Not having anything" probably means it's viral. But... They sometimes give antibiotics to cover "just in case." It can last 7-10(or more) days, but usually day 3 or 4 is the worst. Hopefully your LO will start feeling better soon. Pedialyte helps to stay hydrated, if he's not wanting to drink much. And lots of snuggles :)
  • Options
    Slap8out said:

We had an unexplained fever for 3+days of 103.3. It got higher at night and was controlled with meds. Turned out it was roseola, we made an appointment with the pedi, that morning DD broke out in a rash on her trunk. I as told that it could last between 5-7 days.
    I'm glad that they gave you antibiotics for your LO. Keep us posted on how he is doing!

Same here! I totally forgot my little one had a rash too.
  • Options
    *****newest update****
    We ended up taking him to the ER today bc his fever wasn't going away (at the hospital he was 105.1) so they did some more test. Chest x Ray and a urine test.... Turns out he has a UTI/bladder infection!!! They gave him a shot and he is under antibiotics for 10 days!.... I'm glad they found the source for his fever.
    Now as soon as we get back to belgium, we will get him circumcised!
    (Hubby also had a bad experience when he was 5 bc he wasn't circumcised)
  • Options

"Not having anything" probably means it's viral. But... They sometimes give antibiotics to cover "just in case." It can last 7-10(or more) days, but usually day 3 or 4 is the worst. Hopefully your LO will start feeling better soon. Pedialyte helps to stay hydrated, if he's not wanting to drink much. And lots of snuggles :)

Right now he is drinking more water than anything! (:
  • Options

Glad its nothing serious. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Turns out he has a UTI/bladder infection
  • Options
    Glad they found the source of the fever!
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    Aww, glad he's being treated. I wish they had just given him the abx (or at the very least tested his urine) the first time.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"