December 2013 Moms

ear infection help

My little guy has a double ear infection and has been on amox. since Saturday. His fever broke on Monday and he developed a rash. I thought it was typical for kids to get rashes as the virus leaves their bodies, but his is getting worse, especially around his eyes. Its splotchy and not raised and does not look like hives.

We were with the Dr on Saturday and I called on Monday and Tuesday. Would you call again? Is this normal?

Thanks!!

Re: ear infection help

• If you are worried, I would call. I don't have any experience with this, but I would call. They will either want you to come in or tell you to keep an eye on it.
  • My little guy is also fighting an ear infection and we did not experience a rash. If it were me and I was concerned about something I would call. It doesn't hurt anything to have them reassure you. I have had days where I called a couple times in one day because new things kept coming up and I wanted to make sure it was okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, guys. No, he's never been on any antibiotic before, and inexplicably neither has my 3yr old. I think I'll give them a call. I appreciate the feedback!

• What did they say when you called?  I would stop the medication if the rash is getting worse and get in to see the dr.  DS1 was allergic to amox and benedryl.
  • Sounds like either an allergic reaction to the meds.

A rash appearing just as a fever breaks is common for Roseola, though too.  How long had he had the fever & how high was it?  Perhaps he had a combo of double ear infection AND a case Roseola?? The rash that appears after Roseola is blotchy & doesn't typically itch as far as I know. It is normally on the trunk of the body, but my DS1 had it all the way up to the & back of his head & side of his face.

Either way.. for sure call. 

My 2 December boys

• sweett11 said:
    sweett11 said:
    Could it be a reaction to the meds?
    I was thinking this, too. OP, has he been on Amox before? 
    Dh is allergic to sulfa drugs and penicillin. MIL said he had a reaction kind of like what you're describing. I'm fearful of when T has to have antibiotics because of his allergies.
    T may not have any issues. I'm allergic to Sulfa drugs and DS1 had no problems with it.  We had to try it after he had reactions to the first 2 antibiotics the pedi tried.
  • W had the same thing happen but we were on cefdinir. Turned out to be a reaction to the meds! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"