Toddlers: 24 Months+

Need help with potty training!

My daughter just turned 29 months on 11/5 and still has yet to tell me when she's gone in her diaper! I feel like my daughter is the only little girl not potty trained by 2.5! We bought a fisher price potty when she was a year old and every once in awhile I'll ask if she wants to sit on the potty and she normally yells NO and runs off so I don't press the issue. Every now and then when I'm in the bathroom, she'll come in and sit on it fully clothed but then I try to tell her that if she wants to go pee or poo on the potty that she has to take off her pants and diaper. I've always bought pamper diapers because in my opinion they were the best. I came across a few articles that stated that today's diapers are more absorbent so kids can't feel when they have gone or when they are wet. Are cheaper diapers not as absorbent? I was wondering if I switched diapers if that would trigger something......She still yells and runs off when we tell her that she needs a diaper change. I've bought potty books for her to read and she really has no interest in them either. Except one of them has a handle so you can flush it.....she likes doing that. A few months ago, she started disappearing into another room for a few moments and we just observed that she now leaves the living room and hides behind the wall of our dining room when she has to poop. When she comes back in the room we normally can see a load in her diaper or we get a bad whiff of stink...LOL! I'm wondering if this means that she's starting to get to that point. Also, a few months ago she had pooped in her diaper and as I was putting her on the changing table to change her, I was just happened to ask her if she wanted to poop on the potty and she said yes. So I immediately took her into the bathroom and took off her pants and poopy diaper and let her sit on the potty. She only sat there for about 15 seconds and then turned around and pulled the handle to flush it so she could hear the "YAY!" and ran off. Just yesterday after she disappeared and it was evident that she had pooped, I asked her if she pooped and the first 2 times she said No but then she said yes. So I said "let's go change" and she ran into the bathroom and sat down on the toliet and looked up at me and then turned around the flushed the toliet. Wondering if she's starting to get it. So I guess my question is first, should I buy cheaper non absorbent diapers or should I try pull-ups? I'm not sure if she knows how to pull pants up though....she doesn't dress herself. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Need help with potty training!

• I'm so sorry that this is so long but I just wanted to give all the background! THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE for any advice you can give me! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Your daughter is not the only 2.5 year old who isn't potty trained.  I promise!  Take a deep breath and don't put so much pressure on her (or yourself!)

It sounds like she's starting to put 2 and 2 together, which is age appropriate.  There was a period of time when my son would go into "private places" to poop, and a period of time where he would deny having wet/dirty diapers.  And then one day it just clicked and he said he wanted to poop on the potty.  He never pooped in another diaper after that.  Peeing in the potty came a couple months later, but also something he just decided he wanted to do.

I would not switch diapers or switch to pullups.  My own pullup experience was not so great.  Once he started waking at night to pee, we put him in pullups at night to make it easier to pull up and down at the toilet.  And he thought the idea of underwear you could pee in was fantastic.  He wanted to wear them all the time.  It took another week or so until he wanted to wear regular underwear again.  You could try putting her in underwear, but I would only do so if she wants to wear it and knows it means going in the potty.  We let my son wear underwear between dinner and bedtime for a while because he wanted to and that was a "dry" time for him, so it set him up for success.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Your daughter sounds exactly like my 3 year old son! He runs into another room to poop, and then says he doesn't have a poopy diaper! When we ask him if he wants to use the potty all we ever get is NO! Almost like he is afraid of it.

I was determined a couple months ago to just take the diapers away and put him in underwear. My thought was that he wont like the feeling of being wet and he would put two and two together.  Not only did he pee his pants he also pooped and never said a word! It was like it didn't phase him.  At that point I knew he just was not ready yet.

I have read that if you push a child too much it actually might make the process that much longer.  I truly believe that my son will let us know when he is ready.  It may not be until he is four, but all we can do is encourage and teach.

I really wanted him out of diapers by the time baby #2 arrives, but she is due in 6 weeks, while it may still happen, im going to have to accept that im going to have two kids in diapers.

So be patient and keep doing what your doing. It sounds like your daughter gets the concept she just isn't ready just yet.

Good luck!

• Children need lots of practice before they are really ready to train.   She needs to feel comfortable sitting on the potty way before she will be able to go.  You can keep using diapers or pullups during this time because it's a lot cleaner.

Change her diaper only in the bathroom, standing up.  Put the poop in the potty.  Ask her if she would like to sit on the potty.  Have her start learning to take her clothes off and on.  Read some books while she sits on the potty.  Have set potty times.  First thing in the morning, after breakfast, before lunch, etc.  Bring her in when you go.  She needs to learn that the bathroom is the normal place for pee and poop.  It will take a few months, but she will get it.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • This is exactly my dd. She is only 25 months but has zero interest in doing anything with the potty or a big girl bed (I'll save that for another post). Once she peed in the potty and I was so excited that I scared her and she hasn't wanted to do it since. I hope what pp say is true that it will just click. Nothing seems to click with Dd so I am not very optimistic. Dd does tell us when she poops though and I do dump it in the toilet and make her come with me when I do it. Be she screams to put her diaper back on immediately. The few times she has sat on the potty, she gets up and runs away after about three seconds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • I had to put my DD in regular training underwear. I used the Gerber brand. The diapers, even the pull ups, were too absorbent. She didn't make the connection about what the sensation was until I put her in something where she could actually feel the pee. It only took her peeing herself twice before she started to tell me she had to go potty.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Our youngest is just now successfully potty training and he will be three on Tuesday. We didn't push it for him because his older brother took forever because we kept pushing it when in hindsight he wasn't ready nor interested.

Big Promises that they all get potty trained at some time.

imageimage

• We only started training DD at just over 2.5 years old, and I'm glad we waited, I think it would have been a lot harder had we tried to train her before she was really ready. It sounds like your DD is just starting to understand, I'd probably give it a little more time. We ended up doing the 3-day potty training thing with DD when she was going on the potty about half the time. We only trained her for during the day at first, and waited for naps and overnights a few months later. She did really well with it and learned pretty quick. 2.5 is not old for potty training. Many people wait until they are 3+, some kids take longer than others, nothing wrong with that.
  • I think if you start with potty awareness first, then show her pull ups and show her doll with them. They take turns going potty and this is how it works. If you monitor your child's potty routine you will see her patterns for when she has to pee or poop. This will help on the timing. What for signs as she pee's. Does she hold herself or get hyper ? I like the potty time app!it is free and they get as ticker and there are songs. If you can start putting the poop in the potty and saying this is where poop goes they will learn by example. Show her when mommy goes to the washroom. After a month then start switching to cloth underwear training pants. They wrk and your child knows when they are wet. Does she wet a diaper at night? Hope these tips help. Feel free to msg me I have a 3 yr old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"