March 2014 Moms

Let's talk cloth diapers...

Now that we're on solids, my world of cloth diapers has entered a new level of questions. Care to share some insight?

If you use disposable wipes, what do you do after cleaning up poop? Do you just toss it in the trash? Bag it up? The smell is no joke...

Who uses a sprayer? Think I should invest in te spray pal or the diaper dawgs cone thing??

Anyone a fan of flushable liners?

Re: Let's talk cloth diapers...

• I use a plastic spoon to scrape the poop into the toilet. Works really well. If we use disposable wipes we just throw them in the trash.
  • I use a spatula but I'm going to make my DH make a sprayer for us soon. It's not bad on normal poop days, but cleaning 5-6 diapers some days is not fun.

I use cloth wipes. But DH and mil use disposable ones (can't get them to switch, I don't know why!). We have a small trash can next to our diaper pail. I try to dump out that trash can when I clean the kitty litter at least once a week, so nothing's sitting there for more than a couple days. But it can get smelly!
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• Loading the player...
  • The more I hear/read about poop the more I'm amazed.

Jamie's poop doesn't stick to her butt or the diaper. So when I wipe it's just to polish really. And the poop just flops into the toilet. Disposable wipes go in the little trash.

No sprayer needed.
    Tried a liner once. Jamie's butt got really red. Avoided them since.
  • poop usually just plops in the toilet but sometimes I have had to use TP to wipe it off. 

The plastic spoon idea is GENIUS!!

I just throw the wipes in a little trash can, smell isn't bad but I have to remember to put it up every night or the dog gets into it.
    :-&

I have a diaper genie on the babies Christmas list, b/c we use sposie at nights.

I also forgot I have a huge roll of liners, i'll have to start using those.

has anyone ever replaced the elastic or Velcro tabs on BGs? I have about 10 that need new elastic but I still haven't learned to sew. I'm planning on taking some lessons soon but didn't know if that would be something easy to start with...10 extra diapers to our stash is HUGE with twins.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• lindsey1031lindsey1031 member
    edited November 2014
    I use bamboo flushable liners and find they make life easier.  I put activated charcoal in the bottom of the diaper pail, so no smell issues.  We also use disposable wipes.

ETA - no diaper sprayer.  If necessary, we use the sprayer on the hose outside!  We've only had to do that 2-3 times since solids were started.

• We used a large spoon to scrape in the toilet for a while (when DS' poop was the consistency of peanut butter). But with his solids intake, it's now completely plopable. It's amazing -- we've never had to get a sprayer :)  Oh, and cloth wipes 4 lyfe.
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Unplanned pregnancy July 2005; EDD 3/27/06; birthdaughter born 3/15/06 (38w2d) (placed for adoption).
    TTC since December 2012, BFP 6/25/13. EDD 3/2/14. Baby Elias born 2/21/14 (38w5d)!
  • My BG still fit my 3.5 year old (we're still having poop issues:/) Around a year their growth slows and they start to loose the chunk and get taller.
  • jrw526jrw526 member
    edited November 2014

I'm glad this is being discussed. I wanna cloth diaper. We do disposable wipes for poop and cloth wipes with water in a spray bottle for pee.
    So for those of you who do cloth, after you plop the poop in the toilet, if there is residue do you wash with soap and water and then put in the hamper? Also, does the poop residue stain?

After I plop or scrape, I just throw the diaper in the pail even if there is residue. If I have staining I just sun them if I have time. You can sun through a window if it's too cold to take them outside.

Eta: words are hard
  • jsmath said:
    Am I the only one who doesn't scrape off poop?! We use washable liners and just toss both that and the diaper in the bin. Every 2-3 days I wash... Little smell but never staining!
    You're not supposed to throw away poop. It's a bit of a public health issue, and I think it's actually illegal(?) in the US (or parts of the US).
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Unplanned pregnancy July 2005; EDD 3/27/06; birthdaughter born 3/15/06 (38w2d) (placed for adoption).
    TTC since December 2012, BFP 6/25/13. EDD 3/2/14. Baby Elias born 2/21/14 (38w5d)!
  • I hate CD-ing at this stage.  We haven't reached ploppable poop yet.  He only eats around 4oz of solids a day and he nurses eleventy-billion times a day.  We love the diaper sprayer and BONUS: it's great to rinse out little potties with.  Super convenient when DD was potty training.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm seriously jealous of you guys who have plopable poop. I'm lucky to get one a week so it's lots of scraping for me. And hence the desire for a sprayer.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• Yeah Robert's poop is soooo far from ploppable it's ridiculous. It's like peanut butter... Maybe even runnier.

So when he's on more solids there's hope right???

@jsmath‌ wait... I thought you had to rinse out the poop once they are on solids. Isn't it not really water soluble at this point? What's your wash routine?
  • James has never really had plopabke poops..

Just a heads up...

Ugh
  • jsmath said:

Yeah Robert's poop is soooo far from ploppable it's ridiculous. It's like peanut butter... Maybe even runnier.

So when he's on more solids there's hope right???

@jsmath‌ wait... I thought you had to rinse out the poop once they are on solids. Isn't it not really water soluble at this point? What's your wash routine?

@SomersIsles‌ my wash routine = cold rinse, hot wash, double cold rinse. Inserts/washcloths/reusable liners in the dryer, covers (BG 4.0's) hung up on the drying rack. No poop left in diapers, no poop on the next load of laundry.
    I figure I'll plop poop when it's solid enough... Until then I think I'm ok.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm if they're coming out clean..... I may have to give this a whirl!

Do you find poop stains stuck near the leg elastics? It happens on mine... Not sure if that's common or if I need a new wash routine
  • I use a sprayer for the non-plop able poops and use disposable wipes. Love my sprayer (BG) and highly recommend it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image

Our English Bulldog, Ulga born 4/9/2013

Baby Boy Xander born 3/13/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"