High-Risk Pregnancy

High Risk of Cleft Lip and Palate

kaceelynn1kaceelynn1 member
First Comment
edited November 2014 in High-Risk Pregnancy
I have to take the anti-seizure medicine lamictal (lamotrigine) and that puts me at great risk for cleft lip and palate. I am almost six weeks pregnant and this is the time it would happen. I am feeling a lot of guilt already and don't even know if my baby will have it. The risk is ten times the normal rate so it is very likely. I don't know how to keep from thinking about it for the next 34 weeks. Anyone else struggling with this?

Re: High Risk of Cleft Lip and Palate

• I don't know if this will bring you any comfort but I am 33 and was born with cleft lip/palette. I know we all want perfect pregnancies but just wanted to let you know it will be ok. I had 3 surgeries up until I was 5 to correct it and I am truly blessed to have had great doctors, you wouldn't even know, and that was back in the 80's. I'm sure doctors are way better now :) Like I said, it's not going to take away your guilt but maybe to speak with someone who personally has it. Please let me know if you have any questions about my personal experience growing up with it and good luck to you and your beautiful baby!
    mandi195[Deleted User]
  • I have to take prednisone each pg to stay pg, there is a risk of cleft palette. I don't feel bad at all its what has to be done and a cleft palette is very fixable. Take it easy on yourself it's not like your taking illegal drugs or things you don't need. If the worst thing that happens is a cleft palette you should feel lucky, I have a sister with multiple birth defects.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

Campow83
  • Thank you for your responses. I did more research and feel better. I hope all goes well for you both.
  • I'm on the same meds. If you've been taking your prenatals... Hopefully the drs have told you to double the recommended amount of folic acid, the rate decreases. I'm at 20 weeks and still take double the prenatals most would. Now I'm more worried about neural tube issues. Well see on Monday how that's looking.
    Pregnancy Ticker