February 2015 Moms
Options

Paternity Leave

The Maternity leave made me think of the guys (Or partners).  Does your SO get leave? Will he/she take it?  I don't think DH gets more then a few days leave, and he is likely only going to take a week.  I'm trying to push him to take more, but its not looking likely.  At my job the non-birthing parent gets 10 days paid (which is the same as our official Maternity leave.  The bulk of our paid leave is disability)  and can combine with vacation, and unpaid leave.  Adoptive parents get those benefits as well.  

My brother in law actually took 3 months unpaid from his job after my sister went back to work. I tried suggesting that to DH and he looked at me like I had two heads.  

Re: Paternity Leave

• Options
    DH is self employed so won't get anything. He'll take a few days but probably not more than that. He will just work some shorter days I think and take DS with him as he can.

• Options
    I also have a self-employed husband. With DD he took about 5 days off and then came home early whenever possible. We are likely looking at the same thing this time. He flips houses so if they have another property in February he should be able to take a few days off and then work shorter days to help me.
     AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think my H will take 2 weeks, but it'll just come from vacation time. I don't believe his company offers much.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Options
    DH took 2 weeks of leave when DS was born plus the occasional day during rough stretches for the rest of the school year.  He'll do the same thing this time.  It comes out of his bank of sick time, but he has a TON accrued so it's not a big deal and it's the only way for him to take more than a week and be paid for it.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    Mine is taking the three weeks after she is born. He is using PTO for it.
  • Options
    umbcptumbcpt member
    edited November 2014
    DH will likely take a week when LO arrives, and has a ton of sick leave. Our plan is to have me off the 60 duty days allowable by FMLA, and then he will take about a month off to get us to the end of the school year. I am trying not to start with daycare until the fall, even though I have a summer work commitment. I am going to hire a college student to work the weeks I am scheduled to work over the summer and start daycare at the start of next school year.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Our family is growing by two feet and we couldn't be happier!  
    BFP 6/12/14, EDD 2/20/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kylee Elizabeth 11/19/09
    Shane Edward 8/18/06

Married the love of my life 1/7/06

• Options
    My DH teaches in the same district as me so he is giving all of his paid time off to me to use. He is going to save 5 days for himself for when the baby comes. He is really hoping the baby decides to make an appearance at the end of the week so his days won't be used in the hospital. I'm sure baby will come on a Monday though. :)
  • Options
    Yup, all AD get 10 consecutive days paternity leave. DH is in an office that's can be slow so he thinks he'll also take a week or so of regular leave at the end of March. He'll have to take house hunting leave around then too so who knows how it will work out in practice. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH has FMLA but almost 4 wks of vacation saved up.  He's salaried so it's a wash.  Last time, he took 2 weeks off then went in a few days each week.  We're lucky he has the ability to work from home at times (sales manager) and have client meetings around his schedule.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My husband gets two weeks paid from his job, and then he's planning on taking two weeks of vacation after that.
    Roslin Liora -- Due 2/8/15
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary
    image     image     image
  • Options
    DH will get to take one week.. He'll use his sick days because we're both new employees in our county and don't qualify for fmla... Blah.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

F15 January Siggy Challenge: What I'm Looking Forward to After the Babies Arrive
    Bringing them both home...UPDATE...The girls are home!!! 1/7/15 after 20 days in the NICU!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DH will probably use a week or two of sick leave, or will work a modified schedule if possible. If I go back to work for the last month of school, he's going to try to take leave so we don't have to arrange for childcare.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Ha! Another self employed hubby here. We will likely be starting maple syrup season shortly after or before so we will be busy here! Full swing into farming and construction season after that. Luckily though, all family business that will pitch in to let him flex his time.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My DH could have the same 12 weeks unpaid off through FMLA. But we couldn't go without the pay. So he'll be taking a week of vacation when the baby is born.
  • Options
    He is taking the hospital stay plus a couple of days then the rest after my mom leaves to spread out the help!

• Options
    Luckily, DH's weird schedule works out well for this. He works 12 hour shifts, with one week on/one week off. Hopefully that remains the case through when the little one arrives! If he takes a week off it means he has three off, so it'd be nice to have him for a while without a drop in income!
  • Options
    DH is self-employed. With DS#1, I asked him to plan to stay home with me for a week, but by day 4ish, I sent him back to work for at least a half day, we were good! With both our boys, he stayed in the hospital with me, then worked shorter days once we got home and were adjusting. 

His time off is unpaid, but it's nice he has the flexibility to go in late or give me a little break if I need it during those early days!
    Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    He will take 3 weeks at least - hopefully 4. One week company paid, then all the vacation he has (hopefully at least 1.5 weeks worth). Then std for. The remainder.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DH will take two weeks vacation. He does have acess to parental leave with a % of pay through the government but he won't use it. This would subtract from my time off, he's too busy at work, and doesn't want the small pay cut for that time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hubs will take the hospital time off but probably nothing after that. My mom will probably be here for a week, & hubs mom lives in town and may come over after work. But we will see since she has hubs 26yr old sister who has autism to take care of also.
  • Options
    Hubs will take the hospital time off but probably nothing after that. My mom will probably be here for a week, & hubs mom lives in town and may come over after work. But we will see since she has hubs 26yr old sister who has autism to take care of also.
  • Options

Just asked DH his intentions and he said he hadn't thought about it. He said depending on how things go he might stay home for a week or two. I also said that I might need him home early to help with the "5pm inconsolable crying for no reason period" if this little one is at all like her big sister. That stretch of time was the worse. 

5pm was like that every night in our house, too. We called it the "witching hour".
  • Options
    You guys have me rethinking DH taking 4 weeks off and then going back parttime for two after that. He has 400 hours of sick time plus a ton of vacation saved up. I guess we will just play it by ear.
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Options
    DH usually takes a week of personal/sick leave (which will include any time I'm in the hospital) after each babe. Anything more cuts into vacation. I'm hoping he'll be able to try to work from home a little more after he goes back, but it's not really something to count on. DH also works out of state so he's gone from 630/7am till around 8/830 pm when he's not traveling :-p inlaws and parents are out of state, too. This spring is gonna be fun! :-p

At least now both my older two take the bus (even tho kindergarten is only 2.5 hours long) so I won't be driving to and from preschool each day with a newborn like I was doing last fall. Oh and the mom whose daughter I watch before and after school made other arrangements for February so I'll have a little break there, too.
  • Options
    twinklymama said: 
    5pm was like that every night in our house, too. We called it the "witching hour".
    Crap- I forgot about that.  He would scream-cry for about an hour and nothing would soothe him. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Angeldcf said:

twinklymama said: 

Crap- I forgot about that.  He would scream-cry for about an hour and nothing would soothe him. 

Yep. The witching hour. Not my favorite hour!!
  • Options
    I'm self employed and get a whole lot if nothing, plus my job situation blows and I'll have no job to come back to. H will luckily be in a slow point at work (between contracts) so he's hoping to take 6-8 weeks of paternity leave when we bring the babies home. I am so grateful he'll be able to take that time, having two babies is overwhelming, I'm glad we can figure it out together!
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH doesn't get paid vacation just accumulates paid leave he can use for whatever he chooses. He'll have at least 2 weeks built up by the time baby comes. He will also be quiting in May for our move so I think we are just planning on him using it all at the time of birth instead of spreading it out.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For parental leave my DH and I get 52 weeks to split between us any way that works best. For us it makes since for him to take some of the time as he'll get paid the maximum pay rate for parental leave.

There's a new program that we may take advantage of that allows you to make more than the max $40 000 a year that parental leave allows by working part time to make up to your original salary. It's a pilot program from the government and we're hoping that they keep it going past the initial guaranteed year (it is due to end in Sept or something). It is a great program for people who have flex time at their workplace.
  • Options
    DH doesn't get anything beyond PTO and sick time but he works from home so he'll be around when I need him!
  • Options
    Dh will take a few weeks unpaid. Technically we can split the one year mat leave but he doesn't want to stay home alone with baby and we are trying to extend it as long as possible before paying child care
  • Options
    DH is USMC. I believe he gets 10 days of paid paternity leave, but that is it..... I don't get anything paid....
    Me: 38     DH: 36
    Married: July 21, 2013
    TTC#1 (between us): June/July 2013

DX: MFI (low count and motility)
    Charting/OPK/CBFM July 2013-present
    1st RE Visit: January 2014
    Cycling: 
    March 2014- 75iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFN and OHSS
    (8 million post wash 47% motility, 18mm/17mm/16mm/16mm/14mm follies)
    April/May 2014- Benched due to cysts/enlarged ovaries
    June 2014- 50iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFP!!
    (10 million post wash 60% motility, 20mm/19mm follies)
    Beta 1- 85 Beta 2- 2,752 - EDD 2/27/2015

Everyone welcome. Strength in numbers!

• Options
    Dh gets two weeks vacation a year so he'll use a week starting when baby is born and then I'm on my own. It worked pretty well last time when I had a c section and was healed enough to handle being on my own when he went back.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH has no paid paternity leave (lol, I have no paid maternity leave, either). Both of us will be using PTO for the new baby. I will use up all my PTO, plus get a couple of weeks of short term disability, and then be out unpaid for the rest of the 12 weeks I am taking. DH has been saving up his PTO so that he will have time to take off. He will probably take a full week, and then telework and go in for half days the week after that. (He could qualify for FMLA leave, but it would be unpaid, and his immediate supervisors would look very much in askance at him taking much more time, even though he is entitled to it if he wants. They are all much older and from a generation in which men didn't really go to ob appointments or take much time off after the birth. They already rag him for the number of appointments he goes to with me!) 
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • Options
    DH will probably take a week of vacation. That is what he did with DS. While longer would be really nice, it is really hard for him to get away from work for long.
  • Options
    I'm super jealous. My DH gets better paternity leave than my leave.  He gets a full 12 week 100% paid leave.  He plans to take about 2-3 weeks and then work from home a few days too.  His job allows him to work remotely whenever he wants so he may do that.  He said he doesn't want to do the full 12 weeks as he doesn't like "being out of the loop" at work.  Since my dad works in NYC during the week and my parents live in NC, my mom will be with us during the week for the first month or 2 anyway.  I told my hubby I really didn't want him home the whole time anyway as knowing him he would get in the way more than help out. His company gives full 12 week maternity, paternity, and adoption leave.  They also have an IF program that will pay for treatments as well!!! Super jealous!!!
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH is self-employed. It's just himself and his parents. So he gets no official leave.

With DS he was able to take the whole first week off to help, but usually went to work every night after I went to bed for a few hours. I'm guessing this time will be the same.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Angeldcf said:
    twinklymama said: 
    dang it... these are the things you block out after a certain period of time. Every single night for 3 months.. cryfest from about 5-7pm. Tourture.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"