Parenting after a Loss
Options

Update: !!Ectopic help!!

klbowieklbowie member
edited November 2014 in Parenting after a Loss
I just left my doctors office and have officially been diagnosed withan ectopic. Heartbeat and everything in my left tube. So heartbreaking. I currently have an 8 month old that is EBF. The doctor recommends trying the methotrexate shot first. However, I can't breastfeeding with that and she doesn't know for how long I can't. I'm her first case still BF. Also, since there is a heartbeat the methotrexate is less,effective. If I get surgery then I think I could be breastfeeding again the next day if I'm not on pain medicine. Also, it would be done with. But there is risk to damage or loss the tube.. I'm just looking for some insight to help with making the decision. Any thoughts are appreciated? Update: Sorry I kinda of went MIA the last few days. I decided to try the methotrexate shot. Figured it would be worth a shot and maybe save me a surgery. It was been pretty rough because my dd depends on the nipple to sleep but I have an awesome mom and sister that came over and helped. The first night dd and I only got two hours if sleep. But the next night my mom stayed with the baby and let me sleep and the following night my sister did the same. It seemed to work better because I wasn't the one feeding her so the urge for nipple was less. It was heartbreaking having her try to nurse and having to refuse her. She doesn't understand why momma is so mean. As far as the medicine, I've been nauseated, achy, and sleepy. No bleeds yet so I'm a little nervous it's not going to work then I'll have to do surgery and not nurse my dd again. That would plain suck. I go in tomorrow to do my first blood draw and not really sure what they are looking for there. I guess time will tell. Ready for this to be over and able to relax a little. Not be paranoid over every little ache and pain. Thank you ladies so much for all the advice and comforting words. You guys are life savers. It has meant so much to me. Thank you, thank you!
BFP#1 02/19/12 missed mc 03/30/12 1st D&C 05/16/12 2nd D&C 08/17/12 
BFP #2 06/26/13 EDD 2/26/14 Hoping for my rainbow baby!
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

~~AL Always Welcome~~
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Update: !!Ectopic help!!

• Options
    I don't have any experience to offer but want to say that I'm so, so very sorry you are going through this.
    TTC #1 since January 2011
    BFP#1 April 12, 2011, EDD December 24, 2011, strong heart beat at 7w3d, d&c at 10w6d
    BFP#2 Oct 24, 2011, natural miscarriage, EDD unknown
    After RPL testing my losses and subsequent infertility are considered unexplained.
    Cycle #22: Femara, TI, and progesterone = BFP!! 
    BFP#3 Dec 21, 2012. Beta #1 @14dpo = 134, progesterone 67.8. Beta #2 @ 17dpo = 664! Team green, EDD 9/1/13, healthy baby boy born 9/12/13!
    imageimage  My chart.

Congratulations to the fabulous KGS2003! Her sweet boys are here! Grow boys grow!!!
  • Options
    Oh nooo!! I wish I could offer some advice but I don't have experience with an ectopic. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sending big hugs your way xx

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so, so sorry :(  I can't offer any advice, but please know you're in my T&Ps.  I'm so sorry for everything you've been through in the past few weeks.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this! I had to have a d&c 4 weeks pp for retained placenta. I continued to bf (although at that point, I had very little milk, so we were supplementing and I mixed the "tainted" BM with non-tainted donor milk so it was diluted...). Post in the BFing board and check out kellymom.com. Good luck with such an awful choice :(
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

• Options
    I'm so sorry. I don't have any advice to give though.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds like you are leaning more towards the surgery.

It would be a hard choice, but for myself I would want to do the least invasive procedure first (the shot). Yes, it could bench my bf for a while, but if the other option is surgery and a possible loss of a tube, then I would want to try the other option first. This could affect your fertility for the future.

Hugs, sorry you are going through this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you're going through this. ((Hugs))

• Options
    I'm so sorry. (((Hugs)))

BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Options
    Im so sorry you're having to deal with this. I am with @chloebeth930 as far as getting the shot. It sucks but keep pumping to keep your supply up (or don't worry too much about it, it will come back when you start feeding again.) Do you have some frozen milk you can use?

Big (((((hugs)))))
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. :(

I have no experience either but what others have said about trying the shot first makes a lot of sense to me. You can pump to keep the supply up and then go back to BF'ing when you get the all clear. It sounds like a much better option than risking the loss of a tube. Hugs to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"