Adoption
Options

Foster Adoption Shower

I'd like some input on a party I plan on throwing for some close friends. They have struggled with infertility for a few years, and it's unlikely they will be able to have biological children. As such, they have decided that for them, foster adoption will be the best way to create their family.

I've seen some pretty strong reactions when people suggest "showers" for foster parents, but I thought I'd get input here. Any advice from adoptive or foster parents would be especially helpful.

Our friends are expecting their first placement to be 1-2 children, between 0-8. It's a huge age gap, and obviously there is some uncertainty that goes with fostering, BUT, myself and other friends would still like to celebrate this next step in their journey to becoming parents.

To be absolutely clear, the children being placed with them are likely to have had parental rights already terminated. (Their agency strives to place children that are highly unlikely to be returned to their parents with foster families that are hoping to adopt as soon as possible. This is NOT a 3 week stay type situation.) We also don't want to throw a party once the child is placed because we want them to have that together time. More than that, I want this party to be a celebration of them as new parents and all they've been through this far, not geared specifically to one child (I plan on doing this once, not for every placement).

My idea is to throw an "Initiation to Parenthood" if you will, with some games, a co-ed BBQ, and yes, gifts if people wish. This is not a gift grab. I feel it is appropriate to celebrate our friends embarking on their path to parenthood, and I see no harm in letting close family and friends familiar with the situation "shower" them with books and games that are more family-oriented and cover a wider age range, especially because they could likely have siblings of multiple ages. It's not baby gear, but for their situation, I feel it's still items they could use (and reuse for subsequent children).

I plan on throwing a bigger adoption party when their paperwork is signed, but that could be a year or more away. At that point they'll likely have all they need, and it'll just be a regular party to officially welcome their kids to the family, so I'm using this opportunity to show our friends we're just as excited for this chapter in their lives as we would be for a biological child (and for those that have witnessed their struggle, we honestly are more so.)

That said, does anyone have ideas on games or elements to include? Have you been to a similar event? Any input would be helpful!

Re: Foster Adoption Shower

• Options
    I think a co-ed BBQ idea (or something like that) is a great idea! It lets your friends know you're thinking of them and excited for them. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on gifts or games in that first get-together (let it be more casual), but instead do that at the bigger party you mentioned once the papers are signed and everything is more certain and complete. 

You are very sweet to do this for your friends! And I know firsthand how much it means when you know people are thinking of you and are excited for your journey! It can re-energize a couple that has been facing a long, arduous wait. Let us know what you decide to do! 
    trying for #1 since May 2012... we're adopting! bringing home baby boy in january 2015!

photo tacos.gif
    Texas forever. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We just had our first foster placement back in July and family decided to throw a shower after placement.  Our fd was only three weeks old, so it wasn't overwhelming for her to be bombarded with people...and I did have a plan for DH to come get her if it got to be too much for her.

I'm happy we waited and had items that were appropriate for her age.  I can see both sides of it with older children...they may be overwhelmed with a party or they made find it very welcoming to have this celebration in honor of them. 

Every child is different,which makes it near impossible to know what's best without knowing them.

Good luck and I love that you want to do this for them!!

• Options
    The adoption shower is a really nice idea, but I have my second thoughts about placement shower. At the WC program class I went there was a adopted children panel and the children there (adopted at ages between 4 and 11) did not like the party because it was too many people to meet. They said they would have preferred to meet people individually and slowly. Another thing that was pointed out is to be aware that while we are eager to be parents and welcome these kids, many times the kids still going through a grieving process and "losing" the foster family is more more loss. Sometimes it can take quite awhile until they can trust the adopted parents and feel like a family again...
  • Options
    You're an awesome friend. Love that you're doing that!
    Meghan and Jonny- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - May 1, 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I was thinking of doing the same thing (my bff wanted to throw a party and I didn't know how it would go over either)...

One thought I had was when they know who they would be bringing in the home they have the shower and get the children to give them ideas like clothing sizes, favorite colors, toys they may want, school supplies they need, and MEMBERSHIPS! (a family group providing a children's museum or zoo membership would be cool right!)

Then one activity I was thinking would be great it have each member of your family and friends come to the party write a letter to the child and have their picture taken or bring a photo. Then everyone creates a scrap book to give the child. This gets the child familiar with friends and family without being overwhelmed the first week.

just my thoughts

Me 36 Hypothyroid DH 35 Low T, treatment Clomid
    NTNP 1/2013
    SA Results: nothing to count...
    MFI RE 2/14/2014 Rx Clomid
    TTC 4/26/2014
    6/25/2014 DH Low T 132 Switched to Chorionic Gonadotropin hCG injections 2x wk
    7/15/2014 DH Testosterone check 607!
    8/15/2014 DH new SA 1 MILLION!!!!!!
    11/20/2014 DH new SA 2 Million
    DH continues treatment while moving towards Foster to Adopt

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    You are doing this friend thing like a boss:) I love it!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"