LGBT Parenting

TTC Check-in (11/10)

How is your/your partner's TTC journey progressing, where are you at, and what's next?

*Reminder - If you have a BFP to announce, please do so by creating a new thread for everyone on the board to see. Thank you!

QOTW: (I've got nothing! Falling back on activities from staff meeting activities with university students now... )Tell us a high and low of your past week! 

Re: TTC Check-in (11/10)

• As I posted last week, I had IUI #2 on Friday. I fretted endlessly about the timing as there were few of the usual signs that I was about to ovulate -- and I was getting stark white OPKs the night before. After a chat with the nurses, wife and I felt better about timing. Still, I didn't ovulate until Saturday so who knows... I've read so many things on the longevity of frozen IUI-prepared sperm and most of it says 12-24 hours max. Last month, I'm quite certain that the IUI was a day late so the clinic's blood testing is good, but it ain't THAT good. It's great to confirm that I know my body's ovulation signs and/but I'd rather have a baby than be right... :) 

Now it's wait and see. Usually (this is TTC attempt #6) I manage to put it all aside for 7 days or so and then the last week I can't focus on anything. Unfortunately, at 3dpiui/2dpo I'm already distracted. D'oh. This is going to be a LONG two weeks. 

Low: My aforementioned utter lack of concentration. A million things to do, zero will. This goes for most things right now: exercise, work, etc. D'oh. Motivation, where are you?! 

High: Got a lovely letter from a friend today. Sure, snail mail is a bit old fashioned and the news is barely news when it finally arrives -- most of my letters take from 2-6 weeks to arrive as they're coming from Brazil -- but there's still something so satisfying about a handwritten letter. :) 
  • My HSG is scheduled for Friday morning. Based on what I found out regarding our insurance, we will be moving to IVF instead of trying one or two IUIs. C wants to start with my next cycle, which should be at the beginning of December. If things go as the last one did, ER and ET should end up being in the middle of January.

I am still working on picking a new donor. Neither of our previous donors are available so I don't have choice.

QOTW: High of the past week was getting the check for reimbursement of the Ganirelix I bought back in June.

Low of the past week was (unnecessary) stress at work.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Loading the player...
  • @channe9 - I also have heard a 12-24 hour max on the survival of frozen sperm. I'm glad you felt better after talking to the nurse. I always had anxiety trying to read OPKs. One cycle I had already ovulated by the time we did the IUI and the next I think we were way too early. I switched to using Ovidrel after that so that I didn't have to worry about it. I was never checked for ovulation with blood work though.

I hope the TWW gets better for you!

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

****All Welcome!****

• Well, I'm 7dpo according to FF, but I still have a hard time believing that.... I'd like to think I'm closer to 9-10dpo. I'm still not super optimistic about this cycle. Today is CD26, so I wouldn't be surprised if I started in the next few days.

I thought for sure I was out from my temp yesterday. It plummeted down to my cover line yesterday morning, but then this morning it shot back up high. So um completely flummoxed.... Ugh.

Http://fertilityfriend.com/home/515f3e
  • @channe9‌ good luck staying busy!! TWW are the worst!

@StacyLH24‌ good luck during the new donor search. We had to search for a new one when we went to home inseminations and then again after our first ICI because the original donor was no longer available. It was frustrating to say the least...

@CrazyAunt84‌ sorry about the bfn :( hopefully you can figure out a good plan of action during your upcoming consult!
  • I was hoping not to post on this thread this month but it didn't work out the way I was hoping. Went yesterday for a sonogram and bloodwork which was my cd3. They started me on 100mg clomid which I asked for. This time I'll get a trigger shot. I go back in on Sunday for another sonogram to see how the follicles are looking and hopefully sometime next week will trigger and complete IUI. If this doesn't work we are taking December off and moving to Injectibles in January.

Good luck to those of you waiting in your TWW. Good luck to those who are close to getting a procedure. Lots of baby dust!
  • KarlamoKarlamo member
    edited November 2014

Sorry my work computer is misbehaving...So now that I have to retype this, here's the Cliff notes version.

* Should get my period this weekend

* When I do I'll call the RE and be 3K poorer

*I've been weaning and have stopped all bf supplements.

* Mamosey and I are excited like Christmas morning to start this thing.

@Stringy813, take this with a pound of salt since mamosey did 12 IUI's, none of which worked,  but we always told that if we got a + OPK in the later part of the day then we were to come in the next mornig for an IUI.  We almost never got one in the am, they liked to turn in the late afternoon for her.   

• Will go to see the RE tomorrow! Was going to go with my DW, however, she doubled booked herself with something she cannot get out off so I will go alone.... :-( She feels really bad about it and I can't change my appointment again cause it was changed twice already so work won't be happy with me changing it again.  I don't want to push it.  I am not stressed now but I know tomorrow I will so I will most likely blank out and not know what questions to ask.  Anyone have any pointers? Or anything I have to ask? We are going to do IUI so that's where we want to start. 

.... I hope I don't freak out.... I hate doctors...
  • ET was today. We ended up with 4 freezable 5 day embryos and still have a few that could become freezable by tomorrow, won't know until then. We decided on transferring just 1. Relaxing a bit today and thinking sticky thoughts.

Good luck to everyone!
    @babyimp‌ you'll do great. Make a list with your DW before h
    Me~35 Wife~32
    Together 6 years
    Married 2014
    TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
    11/5-ER
    11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
    Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
    7/22/15 - It's a boy! 

• @StacyLH24 Good luck with the HSG. It's funny how procedures that may once have seemed strange become just another thing in TTC. You want to inject dye into my womb and take an x-ray? Why not? Let's go. 

@CrazyAunt84 Had a look at your blog. Kinda love TTC blogs so it's nice to have another to read. Let's just hope it turns into a pregnancy blog soon... 

@Stringy813 Seems that you know your body way better than your midwife. I think risk the annoyance for a positive OPK! 

@FSBC Fingers crossed! 
  • @CrazyAunt84‌ - This goes without saying, but I'm so sorry. Maybe see about having an endometrial scratch for this cycle? I keep hearing that it can help.  I'm not quite sure exactly how I feel yet about moving forward in a few weeks.  Three weeks of BCPs will give me time to get used to the idea, if I'm not there yet by the beginning of December.  It is kind of the timeline we were looking at originally.  Part of me is getting anxious to start again and part of me isn't ready for it to be over yet.  With any luck, and a lot of science of course, we'll have some frosties again and using them one at a time will mean we've got a bit before we're done. 

@FSBC‌ - Congrats on the transfer! It also sounds like you'll have a great stash in the freezer. It can't hurt, that's for sure.

@Karlamo - How exciting that it's getting so much closer!

@stringy813 - I also got scolded once with OPKs.  I was instructed to pee 4 hours before I got up for the day and then pee again and use the OPK that time.  Well, one afternoon I did just because and that's when I got my positive.  The nurse wasn't real happy about it.  I would have missed it if I hadn't though.  Our bodies don't exactly work on a schedule - you'd think they would know that.

@wittyandwaiting - 17 is a good number for CD3.  It just shows the reserve you have.  Are you unmedicated for this cycle? 

@Officerofthelaw - Hopefully you won't need a break, but it can be helpful.  It is refreshing in a way, but TTC will still be foremost on your mind.  It can be hard to take that time off.  If I've learned anything over my time, it's that slowing down and taking your time is better than rushing from one cycle to the next.  Easier said than done though.

@babyimp - I hope your RE appointment goes well.

@mallory4284 - Searching again is frustrating.  I'm definitely not as excited about it this time as I was the first time.  Even the second time seemed easier.  I'm just tired of looking through profiles.  A lot of them are bland.  I did find one that I still have saved that made me laugh.  He might be the front runner at this point. 

***CP mentioned***

****All Welcome!****

• I have almost zero time these days at work, but I'm going to start now and hopefully will get to post again later.

@channe9 - good luck.  I know it's so hard when you question the timing, but I'm glad you were able to discuss it feel better about it.

@stacylh24 - glad you guys are moving forward.  good luck with the HSG!

@mallory4284 - I don't want to get you falsely excited, but I had a dip at 10DPO (down to cover line) and then it shot back up again.  Got a BFP 2 days later.  Some call it an implantation dip.  Here's hoping!

@crazyaunt84 - Oh babe, I'm so sorry.  Glad C is home and you can be together. Good luck at the follow-up consult.  I hope the Dr has some good suggestions.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• @stringy813 - OMFG about the reprimanding.  Seriously.  They tried that BS with me and I looked the nurse right in the eyes and said "I've been charting my cycle and using OPKs for 3 years.  3 YEARS!!!!! I know my body pretty well by now."

And, for the record, I was always advised AGAINST using FMU (which is when I typically get my positive). 

I truly think that they want you to pee on their schedule because then they don't have to do math and/or try to fit you in to their calendar at an inconvenient time.  And they don't want to have to stress about timing being off.  Nevermind that the timing IS actually off, and their numbers might improve if they paid attention.  ARGH.

I will say one of the things that won me over about the clinic I went to for a second opinion when TTC Gabe (the one I go to now), is that the nurse there basically told me to pee on whatever, whenever and just let them know the results.  I really appreciated that.  Of course now that I'm back there TTC again the staffing has changed and they want me to only pee at 10am and 3pm.  ARGH.

Whatever, that's a lot of words to say I hear your frustration, and I really hope that you're timing ended up being good this time!!!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• @officerofthelaw - Again, I'm really sorry that this last cycle was another BFN.  I'm glad you and your RE have a plan going forward.

@karlamo - SO exciting.  Good luck!!!

@babyimp - good luck!  Take a pen and paper, and bring your questions written down so they are in front of you and you can write down the answers.  make sure you ask what tests they want to run, and when they run them, and then make sure to ask WHY they run them when they do.  that will give you a chance to point out any timing discrepancies between what you know of your own cycle, and when they want to test certain things (like, say, progesterone which is typically tested at 7DPO).

@FSBC - great results! 

@wittyandwaiting - great follicle count!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Eighth IUI was this morning. One big follicle and good lining on U/S yesterday. I am feeling pretty good about the timing, but the count in this vial was much lower than our early attempts. I know the TWW can seem so long but I like having hope for what's possible for two weeks. In between times is planning, thinking, strategizing which is more burdensome to me. 

If this cycle doesn't work we will take a break of at least a couple months, perhaps permanently. My DW is starting to feel like we should focus on all the good things we have and find fulfillment in our current life. I can understand her perspective and I certainly don't want to be doing this without her full support. 

To those in the TTC group with recent BFN, I am sorry. To those heading toward a next step or TWW-best of luck. 
     TTC at age 37
    Feb '14: Unmedicated IUI=BFN
    March '14: Ovidrel + IUI=BFN
    April '14: Ovidrel + IUI=BFN
    May '14: Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium+IUI=BFN
    June '14: Ovidrel, prometrium+IUI=BFN
    Aug '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel, prometrium +IUIx2=BFN
    Oct '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel, prometrium+IUI=BFN
    Nov '14: Letrezole, Ovidrel +IUI
  • @stringy813 - Wow, that article and study are awesome.  Thank you!

My clinic does recommend just 1 IUI per cycle, but it must be well timed.  If you think about it, as long as you are confident in catching your surge and being able to appropriately time the ensuing IUI, any other IUI would really be covering a time period that (in theory) should be pretty out of the time range of fertility.  I once sat down with an excel file, and colored cells representing all the hours in a day, and then the likely period of time that my egg would live, and the likely period of time that the sperm would live, and then lay all those things over each other and ... drove myself mad.

Then I went to the RE, and stopped trying make myself insane.

I guess if you're questioning the timing of catching your surge and ensuing ovulation, I could see wanting to do back to back IUIs.  But if you're confident in your timing, 1 should be sufficient.

Make sense?

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• @crazyaunt84, I am so sorry to hear about your BFN.  I was rooting for you while I was on vacation. 

BFN for us this last cycle.  After lots of in depth talking and consideration, we decided to go ahead and continue our TTC journey with the new donor.  I am going to make an appointment with our herbalist / acupuncturist in the next week since it has been a few months since I have been in to see him. 

The low for last week was definitely the arrival of AF, followed immediately by the high which were two very close friends of ours that got married.   
    "S15 January Siggy Challange - Happy Dance"
    Jimmy Fallon Dance

Married: 10/4/2013
    TTC Since September 2014
    BFP 11/30/2014 ~ EDD 8/13/2015 ~ CP 12/5/2014
    BFP #2 12/30/2014 ~ EDD 9/13/2015 Stick bean stick!
  • Yay!  I made it to my update!!

I went in for an HSG yesterday and everything was clear. 

By the way, fun fact, my RE only performs HSGs at 7:30 in the freakin' AM!  WTF?  And then he was about 40 minutes late due to the giant snowstorm we had.  Funny, I was able to get my child up early, text the friend that was willing to take him to daycare for me, get her to my house early, get myself and kid dressed and ready to go, eat breakfast, get the dog out, and still make it to the appointment on time. 

Anyway ...

I'll go in for our first IUI around the day after Thanksgiving.  OMG, seriously?  I can't really believe we're doing this!  Guess it's time to lay out some $$ and order some sperm!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• HAHAHA  Forgot my High and Low of the week, and I can't edit so ...

High: went to a fantastic wedding on Saturday night, saw lots of old friends including one who currently lives in Singapore.

Low: I had to lay off two people from my team at work yesterday.  It totally sucks.  Having those conversations was incredibly painful, and this week along with the next few are going to be incredibly challenging with the remaining staff.  I've been fighting back tears for weeks now and I don't see that changing any time soon.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• JGY said:

@stringy813 - Wow, that article and study are awesome.  Thank you!

My clinic does recommend just 1 IUI per cycle, but it must be well timed.  If you think about it, as long as you are confident in catching your surge and being able to appropriately time the ensuing IUI, any other IUI would really be covering a time period that (in theory) should be pretty out of the time range of fertility.  I once sat down with an excel file, and colored cells representing all the hours in a day, and then the likely period of time that my egg would live, and the likely period of time that the sperm would live, and then lay all those things over each other and ... drove myself mad.

Then I went to the RE, and stopped trying make myself insane.

I guess if you're questioning the timing of catching your surge and ensuing ovulation, I could see wanting to do back to back IUIs.  But if you're confident in your timing, 1 should be sufficient.

Make sense?

Using all my willpower not to make one of these right now.

We have a few vials on storage at this place and if they don't start helping more/being more supportive/I get a random BFP - then we will probably move elsewhere.  But yea, since my timing seems wonky, covering it with 2 IUI's seems like it might help. Who knows.

Question, and I can't really believe I'm saying this (since I really prefer non-medical routes whenever possible), but perhaps it would be cheaper to use a trigger shot than to do back to back IUIs?  Might be worth looking into if your proivder would offer that. 

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• JGY said:

....  I once sat down with an excel file, and colored cells representing all the hours in a day, and then the likely period of time that my egg would live, and the likely period of time that the sperm would live, and then lay all those things over each other and ... drove myself mad.

Using all my willpower not to make one of these right now.  ...

Oh my god, I just went back and looked at it again and it's totally ridiculous.  I'm ridiculous.  TTC Nerds, unite!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• @stringy813‌ this is just a suggestion based on my experience. I had three IUI's done with an ObGyN not an RE and they all failed, with or without medication and I was monitoring from home. My timing was not correct and I had a good ovulation monitor. My RE advised that sometimes our bodies will think we are ovulating and we really aren't so I would go to the doctor when I thought I was ovulating and I wasn't. Therefore wasted thousands of dollars. I would highly recommend an RE's office with monitoring. With or without meds, monitoring is more accurate. Just don't want you to waste a bunch of money.
  • Finally got an update! It took a while and what a fight it was with the insurance company. I have some coverage with insurance and understandably there would be a prior auth needed but they were saying no because they wanted 12 IUI done on a single person. My doctor didnt want me to go through more IUI, possible losses, and if by chance staying pregnant possibilities of a child abnormal chromosomes. My spouse didnt want to be pregnant right now but for us and starting our family did 4 tries but just cant do it any more. Emotionally its a larger toll on her with it being her body. So 12 IUI on a single person was just out of the question. After many many calls and finally my doctor speaking to the medical director at the insurance company, they will approve coverage on my part only. All I can say is I am greatful for the work that was put in from my RE office and finally we can start moving forward. 

My RE office is moving to a new office so we are planning for March/April which also gives us time to work out the finances. I am starting my research to see what we can expect for medications that my SO will be needing. I know there are different places that can offer better rates and we would love to be able to save as much as possible. 

I am finally starting to feel like we are back at it. The break was good but I am so ready to be trying again.

Married in September 2010, started TTC journey November 2012

Me-

7 IUI- 2 CP- 2 BFN

RPL blood work 12/27, showed a balance translocation in chromosome 11;22  

Spouse-

PCOS 4 IUI-4 BFN

New Plan: Reciprocal IVF, me as carrier wife's eggs. Just went through insurance and received partial approval, so my part will go through my IVF benefits and wife's part will be out of pocket. Now just finalizing finance plans to cover the oop costs. Doctors office is in process of moving to a new building so there are no IVF start ups until March/April 2015. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"