Babies on the Brain
Options

What To Do While Waiting

I've been wondering what to do with my time now that my doctor has told me to postpone TTC until we iron out my medical issues. We have already booked two vacations, and I've started looking at new furniture for the house, but I really want to do something else. Something that will distract me from all the doctor appointments and cute babies I see everywhere. 

The problem is, I'm not sure how long I will be under the orders to not TTC. My doctor wouldn't give me a timeline because we don't know enough. So I'm mentally preparing myself for 6 months. I'm hoping that we should have answers and an idea for treatment options by then. Of course it could be shorter or longer, who knows. 

So I'm thinking about going back to school to get my doctorate. With all of the schooling I have completed, it shouldn't take longer than 2 years. But if we get clearance and get pregnant, am I underestimating how difficult it will be to finish a doctorate with a newborn? Or should I just go for it and hope I can handle it?

Thanks in advance.
Anniversary

Re: What To Do While Waiting

• Options
    I say if you have the time and money, go for the doctorate. 
  • Options
    The doctorate sounds like a good option.  Or what about a professional certificate that might take less time? 

I decided to take up training for a half marathon as my baby distraction.  Now that I've already completed my first half but have a year left before TTC, I'm not sure what to do now...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like those ideas. I've always wanted to try a martial art. Maybe I could look into that. Actually, I should try to do that anyway. It'll get me healthier and give me something to do.

As for school, I think I'm going to apply. The process takes six months anyway. Worst case I change my mind and I'm only out the application fee. 

Thanks ladies!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Getting a doctorate will keep your mind busy for sure! 
    For me, I really want a puppy but we already have a dog and if I did get pregnant then that seems like a handful. I am trying to talk hubby into fostering dogs.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about chemistry degrees, but my school had an optional masters stopping point on the way to a doctorate. If you want to go back, its just those few final years to finish up.

Ph.D. in chemistry sounds intense though. Can I ask what it is that you do for a living?

@ifeelgoodifeelgreatifeelwonderful, we just rescued a dog. And he's got a ton of issues. We thought it'd be best to have him fully trained and used to us before we add a baby into the mix. I don't know if I'd foster a dog. They come with so many issues and you can't always watch them. What about a cat?

Anniversary
  • Options
    @lexiplexi in my mind I see fostering as a never ending stream of cute puppies coming through my door that just sit on my lap and snuggle with me all day. However, in reality you're statement is probably more correct. My dog just turned 4 and is finally calming down so I think I'm forgetting what it was actually like when she was a puppy.

• Options
    I got BOTB a while before my DH was on board to TTC. In order to keep my sanity while waiting, I wrote down a list of stuff I wanted to accomplish before having a baby - a ''baby bucket list'' (like finishing my master's degree, clear my student loan, take a wine tasting class, etc). It was fun and I really enjoyed my child-less life at that point, even though I had a baby fever. Having projects is a great way to wait before TTC and still enjoy your life.
  • Options
    I went back to school to finish my bachelor's while DH was having medical issues. I'm not finished yet so I'm just going to try my best and hope I can handle it. I skipped the semester when I was due so LO will be 3mo when I go back. I'm just fortunate that my MIL has offered free day care whenever I am in class or need to study, so I'm hoping that will be enough support. I have a friend who did her Master's with a baby and 2 older kids, she said it's possible with a lot of support.

I don't know about the doctorate degree, I imagine the workload would depend on the program. I have had class instructors who are PhD students, and they were always so busy with their research and took forever to grade our tests/assignments. I'd go for it if you can get some support if you have a baby during that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"