Attachment Parenting

I want to quit my job but I get paid Maternity Leave!

I'm looking for some advice ladies! I've worked for a company for almost 8 years and have been wanting to quit for a while now. With that said, I really don't plan on going back to work once my paid maternity leave ends but I don't know the best way to go about letting them know. When do I bring it up to my boss? Obviously telling him now isn't an option because I'll be taken off the books when I pop and I won't get any paid leave. So do I call them a week before my maternity leave ends and tell them I won't be coming back? Or do I go in for a week after my leave ends and put in my notice? Has anyone had a similar situation?
 Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I want to quit my job but I get paid Maternity Leave!

• It's a benefit that you have earned... You're not wrong to use it in my opinion.
    I agree with this. But I would talk with your supervisor about what happens if you don't come back. You can always ask hypothetically if you feel more comfortable that way. I have been honest and up front with my boss about not wanting to come back to work once the baby is here (I'm also a full time grad student and just can't juggle school and work with a newborn) and they told me to take my maternity leave then let them know officially when that time is about up. It is an earned benefit to them, so I deserve to get that time before officially ending my employment. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with PPs- I would definitely be up front with your work about not planning to come back.  That gives them time to find a new person for the position.  And not telling them you don't intend to come back is basically just lying- not cool in my opinion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Be sure to check your company policy before you decide to not notify them. for some, you have to pay it back if you don't return...

Frankly, it's pretty sh!tty move, I think, even if you feel you "earned it", because we all know your company will DEFINITELY think twice before hiring any qualified woman of childbearing age after you pull a stunt like that.

And people wonder why, if there are two equally qualified applicants, a male and a female, why we keep getting discriminated against. Sheesh.
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Keep these things in mind:

1. You may find out that you don't want to be a stay at home mom once your baby is here.

2. Even if you hate this job and  never want to go back, burning bridges is never a good idea. You don't know the future. You may have to get a job, and leaving this company in an unprofessional way would make that process difficult.
  • CNYBride05CNYBride05 member
    edited November 2014
    Um, people change their minds allllll the time. I thought I would go back after my maternity leave, but ended up resigning after extending my mat leave (it was unpaid leave since I used all my paid earned time while on bedrest). I work per diem now since there were no PT options at the hospital where I work.

My point is, you can tell them after your leave is up.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Darbie914 said:
     Are you planning to stay home forever?  If yes, then fine.  If not, it probably wouldn't be wise to list them as a reference and that's an 8 year gap in work history, not counting the time you would being SAH. 
    The best-laid plans change over time. Husbands get sick, money gets tight, divorce, boredom...anything could drive you back to the work force. Don't assume anything. You may have to work again.

• I wouldn't do anything until at least 6 weeks PP. Frankly, I know I and a lot of my mom-friends wanted to be a SAHM but being on maternity leave changed that, quickly. Once you're absolutely sure that you don't want to go back, go in person to meet with your manager.
  • You can never know what you will think of your career once your maternity leave is over. What if you tatally want to change your mind and stay there? What if they have an awesome new position for you? You might be overplanning right now.

I would not take any actions right now, and once the maternity leave is over, I would make my best to try to get back to work for at least few weeks. If that will not work, maybe asking for a more flexible schedule. And then if nothing else works you can just quit.
  • @wenmatt, I'm curious, how is your maternity leave paid? Does your employer offer paid maternity leave, or will it be STD? My company (and state) offers neither, and my leave will be paid because I have hoarded my sick and vacation days.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm not sure but where i work you have to agree to either coming back and getting paid by your employer or you can decide to leave and take allowance from the government (I'm sure?) if you sign to come back and you don't - you have to repay the maternity pay they gave you whilst off ..! Also, when you do return to work, you have to work a minimum of 4 months before you can 'leave' if thats what you want to do. 
    i would tell them now so if you do go back / work in future it won't affect anything.. upto you though!

i thought i was going to be a SAHM so was going to quit.. luckily i agreed to go back! thank god i did coz since being on maternity leave- that opinion has changed! will be returning to work in May ! 

• My boss knows I probably won't go back but was planning to take my time to keep options open. Then again, I was thinking of putting in my notice a couple of months before the due date too so I can have time to myself first. I worry though if there are problems with the birth and then I don't have my job either. Not that I'm expecting anything to happen, just a super planner
  • Definitely read and understand the company policy. My previous employer paid 6 months top up but you had to come back to work for a year or pay it back (after up to a years leave of course as I am in Canada)

My current company pays 14 weeks top up, and once (if) you return to work you get an additional 4 week bonus (so no need to pay back if you choose not to return).

My company also provides medical benefits during leave (which you would not get if you quit early).

I don't usually comment on leave conversations because it is so different here (everyone is entitled to a year off with a small amount of $$ from the gov). But I totally disagree with the negative comments of people telling you it is a shitty thing to do to take and not come back to work. Don't make any decisions now, as org people have suggested, have your baby and take it a day at a time and figure out what's best for you. You might decide you actually want to go back. And if not, that's cool too.
  • As for you question on when to give notice - it should be in you HR policies, usually 2 weeks, although after 8 years maybe a month?

My contract says a month.
  • please please make sure you understand their maternity leave/STD/FMLA policy before putting in a notice.  There may be a 30 day policy (or more, or less) that you have to put in after returning from leave. THe consequences of quitting could be very scary with paying back money to the company, losing benefits beginning the first day of your leave, etc.