High-Risk Pregnancy

High Risk and Insulin

I am currently 14 +1 with triplets and I saw my high risk dr on halloween. They put me on insulin to control my diabetes so I can gain the 36 lbs I am required to gain over the course of the next 10 weeks.  I was on metformin before but my levels were too still too high so they switched me to insulin. 

I am having an issue with my levels and had some of the highest numbers I have ever seen (255, 272, etc) and the drs dont seem to be concerned right now, but I am.

Is this a legitimate concern?  

Thanks,

Jen

Re: High Risk and Insulin

• My high risk dr didnt want me to continue seeing my endro b/c it is too difficult to keep both drs on the same page and the endo might change something that the high risk dr doesn't agree with.  

Given that the Endro. said I was hyperthroidism b/c of my suppressed levels and the high risk dr said that is normal for triplets I am sort of inclined to stick with the high risk and explain my concerns to here. I have only been on the insulin for a week so they started me with the lowest level of insulin.  

Jen
  • Is the hr dr familiar with insulin dosing? My dr is involved in a diabetes in pregnancy program and I see both the high risk dr and the endo once a month at the same office and they confer about how things are going. Maybe there's something like that near you?
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •     
  • I am a type 1 and I was pregnant in 2012. I call bs on your OBGYN. Endocrinologists do this for a living. I had a team of 4 doctors. My OBGYN, my Endo and 2 perinatologists. If it was me, I would call your Endo and tell your OBGYN that you will be seeing your Endo.
    Women that don't have insulin issues tend to have lower blood sugar than before pregnancy. Those numbers put your babies at risk for death. Not trying to scare you but that is the reality of it. I'm a nurse and I'm not just blowing hot air up your back side. High blood sugar numbers can lead to fetal death.
    I was pregnant in nursing school and one of my instructors was an L&D nurse. She had a diabetic come in that was in the 300's. Baby was okay then. However mom wasn't taking care of her diabetes. The next week they had her come in for an emergency ultrasound. Her baby had passed away.
    Its your call, but if it was me I would have an Endo on board. Good blood sugar management is vital for all babies and an OBGYN may have some experience but an Endo has way more plus they know more of what you can do to help keep your blood sugars where they need to be.

30 - Waiting to TTC#2

PCOS -Fibroids -Type 1 Diabetes

lilmamapanther
  • My high risk dr didnt want me to continue seeing my endro b/c it is too difficult to keep both drs on the same page and the endo might change something that the high risk dr doesn't agree with.  

Given that the Endro. said I was hyperthroidism b/c of my suppressed levels and the high risk dr said that is normal for triplets I am sort of inclined to stick with the high risk and explain my concerns to here. I have only been on the insulin for a week so they started me with the lowest level of insulin.  

Jen
    This statement terrifies me!!  I have type 1, and went to my endo for every single insulin or glucose problem.  In fact, my high risk and regular OB doctors requested me to talk with my endo, not them.  Like @MomToNeeners said, endos manage diabetes for a living.  I think you need to find a new, competent endo... or maybe even a new high risk OB.

<3

•     
  • edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Roller skating,anyone? Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have had highs while I was pregnant too, but you never know what is going to happen regardless of having good control otherwise. Anything is possible in pregnancy. My A1c was 5.3 to 5.4 while pregnant, but things can change in a moment and there is no definitive answer on how long as baby is exposed to high blood sugar that will result in fetal death. OBGYN works on a risk percentage of 1% being the max percentage of acceptable risk. Just saying.

30 - Waiting to TTC#2

PCOS -Fibroids -Type 1 Diabetes