Natural Birth
Options

38 weeks and doubts are creeping in

Hello all! I've lurked on the board and posted on a few threads and now I'm hoping for a little encouragement, words of wisdom.

When I got my BFP, I did an insane amount of research and decided pretty quickly that an un-medicated NB was what I want. I hired a doula, have a great midwife practice that I trust and a nb-friendly hospital, I've been doing a lot of prenatal yoga and practicing visualization and relaxation (but didn't get a chance to take a Hypnobirthing or Bradley class). Now that its getting close, I'm beginning to have doubts. I think these have been triggered by the birth stories on my BMB. All of those women (or almost all) get to the part where they describe getting their epidurals as the best thing ever. They often describe the pain in really horrible terms. I don't have any friends IRL who have had a med-free birth.

All along I've said that I am preparing for an NB but I will remain flexible for what comes….that is still the plan but the doubts that I wont be able to handle it are doing a number on my confidence. 

TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!

Re: 38 weeks and doubts are creeping in

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I have Ina May's book that I read several months ago. I think I skipped a bunch of the birth stories then because I wanted to get to what I thought was the main part of the book. Such a great suggestion to go back and read the birth stories now.

Its funny DH said some of the same things you all are saying but I think I needed to hear it from women. Thanks again.
    TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!
  • Options
    I second only reading the good birth stories. I stopped reading all the stories on my BMB when I got close as most had some type of medical intervention. Just keep reminding yourself that you can do it and why you are choosing this path. Good luck mama!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is that a bit of nervousness is totally normal, and isn't necessarily a bad sign - often it means you're being thoughtful and preparing, and helps you to focus on the resources you have within you to do this. Don't take it as a bad sign.

And agree to staying away from negative birth stories. So many people go into birth having heard their whole lives nothing except how terrible it is, and so that's what they expect it to feel like. People loooove to tell pregnant women horror stories about labour, it's like a weird bragging right in our culture. Stick to birth stories that are positive & remind you of how strong you are.
  • Options
    Noo you can do it!!! My sister had gotten am epidural for her first three births and for her 4th she went med free. She said that yes, the pain was unbelievable as always, but the recovery has been amazing and she could even see the change in a medicated baby versus an alert unmedicated baby.Remember all the reasons you want it! We are rooting for you!!
  • Options
    I agree that it's not the worst pain I've ever felt. Have you ever been woken up in the middle of the night with cramp in your calf? I would do labour 10 times over before I would choose on of those calf cramps.

It's pain with a purpose. You get a break between each one (generally speaking) and when it gets really unbearable, you're nearly at the end.

Best wishes for your upcoming birth!
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I agree that it's not the worst pain I've ever felt. Have you ever been woken up in the middle of the night with cramp in your calf? I would do labour 10 times over before I would choose on of those calf cramps.

It's pain with a purpose. You get a break between each one (generally speaking) and when it gets really unbearable, you're nearly at the end.

Best wishes for your upcoming birth!
    I'm surprised that this comparison has come up several times! Those pains haunted me as a kid, and into my teenage years. Knowing that I've felt that makes me more confident that labor will be manageable :)

Thanks for all the encouragement !!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you so much for this thread, @carafern. I'm another N14 mom staring down her EDD in 2 weeks. I'm planning a natural home birth and really agree that a lot of the birth stories we've been reading on our board have been less than helpful for our mental state heading into a med-free labor.

Just hearing that a charlie horse is worse than labor is SO good. I get the worst charlie horses sometimes and the pain from one bad one can last all day. A friend of mine has had 4 babies without pain meds and she said that labor was less painful than broken bones, her hernia surgery, and kidney stones.
    To add one more, sciatic nerve pain was worse than labor.  I remember thinking, "If labor feels like this I'm getting the epi!"  Two med-free births later :)
  • Options
    I've had two natural births, one in a hospital, and one at a birthing center with a birthing tub. Both very positive, although the birthing tub did make me more comfortable.. The pain is there, but it comes and goes, so you do get relief between contractions. It is not unbearable either. That's something I had to keep telling myself. I broke my arm a few years ago, and I kept thinking about that pain, and that the labor was nothing compared to that pain.

DS #1 David Anthony, Born on 10/15/08

DS #2 Jacob Fielding, Born on 12/01/10

BFP #3 July 2013, M/C 10/4/13

BFP #4 11/14/14, EDD 07/21/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it is simply that each labor is different. I had constant back labor and lasted a long time but ended up with an epi. and  (due to baby distress ended up with c-section) I am hoping for a med free natural vbac this time. I hope all goes well for you and you get the labor you want. :) It sounds like you have done a lot of research and are in a good place overall as far at desire and attitude. 

I am going to disagree somewhat- focus on positive stories, but do have an idea of what you are comfortable with if things don't go to plan (sometimes it is out of your control) that way it doesn't blind side you. Like I said though, hopefully all goes well and I'm really sending good vibes and well wishes for your natural birth!

• Options
    carafern said:

Hello all! Just an update…53 hours of labor, but I achieved a med-free birth last Friday! It was crazy hard but I'm proud of myself and baby Lucy for making it through. Thanks for all of your wisdom and encouragement.

Congratulations!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"