July 2014 Moms
Options

Too early to talk Thanksgiving?

Or seeing as how we have a Christmas thread, did I miss the turkey one?

Any favorite recipes to share?

I'm excited to actually be able to drink my wine this year instead of having DH switch glasses with me when no one was looking like last year!

Re: Too early to talk Thanksgiving?

• Options
    I usually just bring the wine and dessert for the family gathering. Last I made really good pumpkin pies made from fresh pumpkins from our garden. This year our garden only produced one small pumpkin so I may see if its enough form some bread.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I forgot about all the holiday wine! I'm excited to not just want to sleep all day long. Last year the holidays were a blue because I could barely keep my eyes open until I hit 12 weeks. I'm sure we will just do traditional thanksgiving with DH's family. Every year I try to sneak in a new recipe, his family hates changing the holiday menu items.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    litera said:
    Oh! the pumpkins reminded me... My grandma passed down her Coffee Can Pumpkin Bread recipe to me this year. It is so delicious and makes a great gift. You just have to buy coffee that comes in an actual tin can and save them all year to make it right. I love love love holiday food. And all other food.
    Speaking of pumpkin bread, with respect to your grandmother ;) I replaced the oil in a spiced pumpkin bread. recipe with equal parts applesauce to cut down the fat and it actually was BETTER. Couldn't believe that healthy shortcut actually panned out. Apparently you can replace a ton of oil components with it and it works as well.
    I've done the applesauce for oil swap on several different things when baking and it's always worked out for me.

As for Thanksgiving this year, I'll be making blue potatoes au gratin again.  It's so yummy and has about 4 different types of cheese in it.
  • Options
    Yum! My family has a tradition where everyone has to make one thing each year that they've never made before. It can be anything : drink, dessert, side, whatever, and it can be at any point throughout the weekend. This year I am making leftover turkey pot pies and a kale Caesar salad.

Some of my favorites from past years have been individual mason jar apple pies, Brussels sprouts hash, and cornbread and sausage stuffing.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Is it okay to bring sangria to Thanksgiving or is that too summer-ish?  I'm just hoping that nobody drinks it so that will leave more for me (after DD nurses, of course).

Also, cranberry sauce in a can!  YUM-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @bullybutt there are some apple cider sangria recipes on Pinterest or you could do red sangria and have some cranberries/juice mixed in.
  • Options
    DEA31 said:
    @bullybutt there are some apple cider sangria recipes on Pinterest or you could do red sangria and have some cranberries/juice mixed in.
    Yum!  Moscato is my fave so I'm definitely making this.  Thanks for the idea!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I start baking goodies a week or so before thanksgiving and continue on through Christmas. Last year I made pumpkin and apple pies from scratch. I also whipped up some oatmeal raisin cookies and chocolate chip cookies. I made some cranberry Orange sauce which was so so to me, but everyone seemed to really like it. I also make rolls from scratch most years, but I think I will passing on that this year. I make peanut butter fudge, caramels, and of course chocolate covered peanut butter balls. I make a coup,e dozen bacon and cheddar deviled eggs for DH's side too.

I found a recipe for Apple pie cookies on Pinterest that I will be trying this year.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @zerozeroone  Sure thing!  It's actually a Paula Dean recipe I found on foodnetwork.com.  I've made it a few times and it's pretty easy and super tasty.  

Ingredients
    2 1/2 pounds blue potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 cup shredded Gruyere
    1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish or similar sized casserole dish.

Arrange the sliced potatoes in the prepared dish. In a medium saucepan, saute the minced garlic in butter over medium heat until softened and fragrant. Stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the cream until smooth and thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes in the dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes until browned.

Also, blue potatoes are not easy to find (for me at least) so I just use red or new potatoes and it's turned out yummy.  Here'e the link as well.
  • Options
    If you're looking for an easy, delicious side - clementine cranberry sauce from domino magazine. i make it every year and it seems to be a crown favorite. (aside from thanksgiving food, it also tastes great on ice cream!)
  • Options
    I always make buttermilk and sweet potato pies for thanksgiving.  Now I am hungry...this is a horrible post to scroll through right before lunch.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're ordering out for the turkey and stuff like that (mainly because DH doesn't want me to go bonkers with his family coming in to visit us--so sweet of him.  But we're also wanting to try a cajun fried turkey which we don't have the ability to make at home, so=SCORE!)  But I stood firm and told him I have to make the slow cooker mac n cheese.  It's the best--so creamy and cheesy and yummy.

Yes, this is an evil post to scroll through at work...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"