VBAC

Repeat C-section or VBAC?

Heatherlowry9Heatherlowry9 member
edited November 2014 in VBAC
I had my 28 wk appt today.  With my 3 year old I had to have a c-section because she was breech.  So today they asked me what my plan was for baby #2's birth.  I can have another c-section or VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section).  I said I planned on a VBAC, she said they would need to talk with me about the risks involved.  Such as the risk of uterine rupture, which she said was 1/100, but as it has been 3 years since my c-section that was a good thing.

But I asked if I try for a VBAC and something did happen requiring a c-section then what happens.  She said that if I already have an epidural they would just boost the epidural and do an emergency c-section but i'd be awake like last time.  If I didn't have an epidural already then they'd use general anesthesia.  

with my daughter we were all about natural birth, the Bradley method.  So when I was told I had to have a c-section I was devastated.  This time around I would love to try for an all natural vaginal birth (no drugs), but after today's appointment I almost feel like what's the point.  I might as well have a c-section again.  Most important to me is that I am awake when my baby is born.  

Has anyone had a VBAC?  Can you tell me about your experience, did all go well?  I hate these decisions, I'm such a worrier when it comes to this sort of thing. TIA!

Re: Repeat C-section or VBAC?

• i had a vbac. very happy with my decision and that it worked out. i was awake. i'll add that i was not on the natural birth bandwagon at all and was begging for the epidural from the moment i arrived at the hospital in labor w/ #2. good luck to you, esp if you go w/o the epidural!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My situation was similar to your own. I also had a c-section with my fist because she was breech. My second was born last week (about a week before DD #1's 2nd birthday) so it was about 2 years between. I differ from you in that I wanted an epidural but I can tell you that just because you have one placed doesn't mean you have to "turn on" the drugs, if that makes sense. With mine, even though I had an epidural in and did get drugs while I waited to fully dilate, once I started to push they turned the drugs off so I could feel. Ultimately we had a RCS because baby girl was moving up instead of down when I was pushing, but I was really glad I had the epidural in so that I could be awake during her birth. I would speak with your doctor about the option of putting in the epidural but not using drugs unless/until it becomes necessary. Good luck :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It also depends if it's an emergency situation.  If there's no emergency then they can still give you a spinal.  If it's an emergency c/s, then yes they'll knock you out.  

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • I attempted a vbac that ended in emergency csection. I had an epidural and still ended up needing to be knocked out with general anesthesia so you just really never know what is going to ended up happening... Just do what you feel is right for you!
  • I had a VBAC 2 months ago, only 18 months after an  emergency C with my first child.
    Trust your instincts! Do not be discouraged by what the doctors tell you. It is their job to tell you of all the risks and threats so that you are aware. It does not mean it will happen to you.
    I had my share of doubts and fears after my Dr told me of all my risks, but did what i felt was right. Prepare yourself though mentally of all the possible outcomes. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"