June 2015 Moms
Options

Crinone build up (a little TMI)

So I got pregnant through IVF and I've been on crinone/progesterone gel vaginal suppository for about 4-5 weeks (stopped about a week ago per my RE). When I was first on it it would come out looking kind of like a raging yeast infection (I think we've all been there: white cottage cheese nastiness). The past couple weeks less had been coming out but when it did it was a very dark blackish color. I was thinking maybe I'm spotting and the crinone gel was absorbing the blood before getting expelled.

But I had my first appointment with a new OB yesterday and she was going to culture my cervix because I hadn't had that done in a while. When she went in with the speculum she was obviously shocked even though I warned her what was going on because I guess it's built up so much that she couldn't even get at my cervix. She deferred that test until another time and seemed a little horrified by what she saw. She said she never really deals with patients who have been on crinone but rather progesterone shots. It kind of made DH and I nervous that she had never seen it before.

I had emailed my RE's nurse even though I had been discharged by them who said it's very common and will come out on its own eventually or I could digitally remove it. She seemed surprised that the doctor wouldn't have seen it before.

Should I be worried that my new OB isn't familiar with something my RE's nurse said is a common thing? Has anyone else had this happen with the Crinone gel?

Re: Crinone build up (a little TMI)

• Options
    I guess if the OB has never been involved in the world of IVF then it would be normal for him not know about it.
    You shoulda said "better not make that face when there's a baby coming out in 7 months!!"
    I wouldn't worry to much. I'm sure your RE will be able to put you more at ease.
    Me: 29 DH: 30
    DS born 12/29/12 @ 41+1 
    TTC#2 07/2014
    BFP 10/14/14 MC 11/14/14 D&C for RT 11/18/2014 
    Given all clear 12/15/2014 - back to TTC

• Options
    I get this same kind of build up with prometrium (and have been on crinone before). I have taken to scooping out what I can every other day before I put in my dose for that day. Its gross. lol 
    PCOS- finally pregnant after 3 years of IF treatment, including 4 failed IUI. 

Lucky IUI #5 currently growing in my belly! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am on the stuff now and it's totally gross. I have to "clean" it out every couple of days because I'm terrified of build up. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to try and get some of it out. I know, personally, mine does not just come out on its own. I have heard that the RE's know more about the first trimester while obgyns know more about the third trimester. I am surprised that your OBGYN didn't at least make a suggestion as to what to do about it. Since it's already been in there as long as it has, I wouldn't think ignoring it would be the answer... I hope you're able to find an answer!
  • Options
    It's completely normal. I've been on it since the end of September & every few days I get a disgusting surprise in the shower when I "clean it out". Mine has gotten that brownish/blackish bleh too, it's some spotting. Spotting can be another side effect of the Crinone. It's surprising that your OB isn't familiar with it. Most IVF patients I know have been on injectible progesterone, but for my IUIs I've always had a vaginal suppository. Really your doctor should have handled that differently, it's pretty common stuff.

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • Options
    Digitally removing it seems really gross to me lol. I'm not really comfortable with doing that but I may not have any other options. I'm afraid of getting an infection because it's been in there so long. Thanks for all of your input!
  • Options
    @beckynsean11‌ I completely agree my OB should have handled it differently. I'm a Nurse and I would never say to someone "Oh my god I've never seen that before!" I just didn't feel very reassured by her. But I'm glad from what you guys are saying it sounds normal with this type of thing.
  • Options
    I had the same thing happen with my first and it grossed me the hell out!!! I ended up doing what the other poster suggested and scooping it out myself every day before I would add the new dose.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    jcprn said:

Digitally removing it seems really gross to me lol. I'm not really comfortable with doing that but I may not have any other options. I'm afraid of getting an infection because it's been in there so long. Thanks for all of your input!

Oh it's gross, trust lol. But I think it's a necessary evil with this junk.

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • Options
    I'm on Crinone 2x per day. I also use the "scoop" technique with my finger, like others have mentioned. Often I do it in the bath just before I'm about to get out. I've also been having some (TMI) vaginal itching from the Crinone. Probably just from things being all damp and goopy down there.
    DX: I'm a Recurrent Loser
    Me (35) + DH (37) - Married Sept. 2007
    BFP #1 - DS born 7/11/11
    BFP#2 11/13/13 - EDD 7/29/14 - M/C at 5w3d
    BFP #3 12/28/13 - EDD 9/7/14 - M/C at 4w6d
    BFP#4 3/27/14 -  EDD 12/5/14 - Girl lost to 45X at 8w6d - D&C 
    BFP#5 10/15/14 - EDD 6/30/15 - M/C at 7w2d
    BFP #6 1/5/15 - EDD 9.16.14 [CLICKY for progress]
    In search of a image

• Options
    I also was on Crinone after IVF and hated that I had to "scoop" it out too. My fertility doctor didn't let me know the side effects but the nurse did let me know that it was normal. Went to a regular OB doctor and he changed my prescription to oral progesterone. So much better!!! After I finished the Crinone and started the new progesterone, I still had some residual Crinone left and had to clean it out. I would recommend you clean it out yourself. The nurse mentioned to me that if it isn't cleaned out by you or the doctor, it could cause problems. Not to worry you or anything but just to keep you informed. Good luck!
  • Options
    @BookishMomma‌ I was having the same itchiness and I think you're right; it's from the moisture.

@pickles26‌ I wish she did clean it out because she can get at it a lot easier than I can at this point.

Unfortunately I wasn't cleaning it out this whole time so it's kind of unreachable right now... So I think whatever is in there is going to have to work itself out :-S
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"