May 2013 Moms
Options

Working Moms Check in

Sssh, pretend it’s Wednesday morning! I’ll be picking my mom up at the airport tomorrow morning so I wanted to make sure I had this up for any early bird working moms that want to post before they head into work.

I’m hoping this hasn’t been brought up recently on the check in….A FB friend of mine shared an article from 2012 about the book, Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman involving French parents not understanding the American phrase disciple and preferring the term educating their children-this is me SUPER paraphrasing. https://www.theparentbackpack.com/education-vs-discipline/

As working mom’s we have the unique situation of trusting our children with a child care provider whether in our home or elsewhere. We’re at the point where our LOs are starting to not only verbalize their requests and frustrations but also knowingly test the boundaries we’ve given them. Now that they are also able to understand a lot of what we’re saying to them how has disciple started to take structure in your home compared to the time they spend with their childcare provider? Does your home “educating” differ between parents?

1. What's new/happening at work this week?

2. What's new/happening at home or with baby this week?

3. What do you and your SO do for discipline/educating in your home?

4. What does your childcare provider do for discipline/teaching when LO is with them?

5. GTKY – What’s your favorite childhood memory and are you going to try and recreate it with your LO?

Re: Working Moms Check in

• Options
    huzzahuzzahuzzahuzza member
    edited November 2014

End of Quarter 1... that just happens to coincide with end of Q1 at the university too so I have grades and final papers due this week.  Blech.

This kid just keeps getting cuter and cuter every day! I just can't stand it!

We try and redirect but there are times when he just has to have a temper tantrum.  Most days I say "no thank you" 50 bajillion times but I think he gets it...

4. What does your childcare provider do for discipline/teaching when LO is with them?
    Same thing we do... redirect, let him cry, or say "no thank you"

5. GTKY – What’s your favorite childhood memory and are you going to try and recreate it with your LO?

I don't really know at the moment.  I loved traveling across country with my family but I don't know that DH will tolerate that. I just want to make sure that LO goes out and explores!!!! 

EDA: H and I have discussed at length how our children's lives will be quite different from ours because we both grew up in the country and our children will probably be city kids.  Not a lot about our childhoods will be the same. 

• Options

Work is OK.  Our nurse practitioner is away this week so it's busy since we are a man (actually woman) down.

LO says her own name now which is super cute.  She also started saying "P-U" and pinching her nose when she is getting a poopy diaper changed.  Neither DH nor I say this so she must have picked it up at daycare.  DH doesn't like it (he's paranoid she will feel bad or ashamed if we make a big deal about her poop being stinky) it but I think it's funny.

Redirecting for sure.  And since a lot of our disciplining has to do with mealtime behavior we also take things away from her.  Like if she is turning her sippy upside down on her head and spilling milk on her hair I will first tell her not to do that, then warn her I will take the sippy away, then I take it away.  Then she cries or screams but as soon as she calms down I offer the sippy again and tell her something like "You need to drink like a big girl."  Usually it works, at least temporarily.  Repeat with her fork, spoon, bowl etc.  We have not had any behavior that required time-outs yet but I expect we will be using that method in the future.

In terms of book recs, I am currently reading "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" and I have found it helpful so far.

Actually I have no idea what they do for discipline.  Mom fail!

I also loved my family vacations.  My parents put a lot of effort (and money I suppose given that they have 4 kids) into them and I totally appreciate the experiences they created for us.  I hope we can give that to LO when she is older.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"