July 2014 Moms

Breastfeeders? What is your diet like? trucker-esque?

Nichole8787Nichole8787 member
edited November 2014 in July 2014 Moms
I'm curious what your diet/appetite is like? Also how much water are you drinking daily? 

I drink about 156 oz of water a day....

If I don't my lips are chapped and I have a headache...serious dehydration.

and eat like a freaking trucker....Especially in the morning. Last week, I ate an entire pizza. I was still hungry.

I'm not gaining any weight....Is this crazy teenage boy /truck driver appetite normal? Between being pregnant and hormones and everything over the last year my diet has been crazy.

How has breastfeeding affected your diet? What are you doing?

image.

Re: Breastfeeders? What is your diet like? trucker-esque?

• I have a bigger appetite than during my pregnancy, but fortunately my vegetable aversion is gone now!!  

I had been avoiding gassy foods, but just read on kellymom that it's not necessary to do so, so I had black beans and rice for lunch today  :)

I am not drinking any more water than normal....my LC actually said it's bad to overdo it with the water.

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm always hungry, but it's not quite the same as pregnancy hunger. I try to drink tons of water but my love of coke gets in the way of that sometimes. ;)

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Well all of my kids Halloween candy is officially gone if that's any indication.  I eat like a 500lb man, but I've always been a heavy/multiple meal eater.  I really need to up my water intake. I drink about 100 oz/day.  I don't exercise because life is consumed with work and dealing with the 2 kids/cooking/cleaning/baths/shower/bedtime asap. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I feel ravenous most of the time. I'm not gaining weight but my arteries cannot be pleased with my cheese and over all bad food intake.
    I drink about 2-2.5L of water a day.

• Yes, the arteries are probably pissed...there's a whole lot of saturated fat going on these days.  And some spoonfuls of sugar to help the cholesterol go down  ;)  

On the other hand, I'm so exhausted that I will often choose sleeping over eating.  As a result, I am two pounds under my prepregnancy weight and still losing.  Starting to worry about that, but not worried enough to quit trying to sleep when the baby's sleeping.

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• I'm doing WW so I'm careful about what I'm eating, though they do allow extra points for nursing moms for the extra calories needed. With DS1 I gained weight while nursing and I didn't want to do that this time so this is the best way for me to control it. I don't expect to lose a ton of weight while I'm still breastfeeding but a little bit would be good, and then I can focus on losing more after I wean.

I do have to snack more than when not nursing but I just choose boring stuff like apples instead of delicious 500 calories pumpkin muffins. :P
  • Nichole8787Nichole8787 member
    edited November 2014
    @PregsMcSnoozalot‌ how much water did she say was bad? And what could happen? Also I'm dieing of thirst all of the time
    image.
  • LO has reflux so I avoid foods to aggravate that. I drink on average 120-144 oz of water a day. I was ravenous in the beginning but not so much anymore although I do to skip meals or snacks lol.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• As everyone else has said, I'm always hungry.  I've never been good with my water intake so I'm really trying this time around to get enough.  My goal is at least 2 liters/day and the soda stream definitely helps me most days get enough.  I'm not a fan of veggies, so I try to pay attention to portion size, but that's obviously only going to get me so far since I'm feeding another human.  I'm also working out about 2 times/week, but that seems to help keep me from gaining anything rather than losing what I've got.  I'm not one of those "lucky" ladies that just sheds weight while nursing.  It'll probably be another 6 months before these last 20 lbs go (down 15-20 as it is).
  • I ate Oreos for lunch. I need to get it together but I am always so hungry and thirsty. I have been eating crap I don't even like just because I am constantly starving. Diet starts one of these upcoming tomorrow's.
  • I def need to up my water intake. Right now I am only around 50-70 oz a day and would like to be closer to 80-100 oz. Still at three meals a day but I snack on lactation cookies, fruit, yogurt, or string cheese in between meals, especially if I just BF DD. Today I ate a late lunch after voting so I may be totally bad and just eat custard for dinner.
  • I'm constantly thirsty but I never want water. Seltzer, juice, soda are my favs in that order. I should prob drink water instead but I hardly do, maybe 40 oz of water a day. Reading this is making me so thirsty I might just stop nursing the baby rigt now and go get something to drink. I'm also hungry all the time but really it's more thirsty. So very thirsty!!
  • I definitely should be drinking more water. I get about 60-80 ounces a day I think. And I'm always hungry but I have a struggle to find things to eat. I know kellymom advocated that what you eat shouldn't bother LO but whenever I eat onions, tomatos, peppers, or citrus LO get tummy issues and it's not good. Sadly all I want is pizza! Grrrr
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't drink nearly enough water.. I bet I don't drink 50 oz on a good day. I really need to up my intake. Food though? I get plenty of that. I haven't lost a pound since I went on Zoloft at 4 weeks pp, and I while I do partly blame the meds, I am eating like shit and need to do better. Add me to the 2 breakfasts club, snacks, candy, carbs, more random shit I don't need... Yeah. I could do a lot better lol
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

BabyFruit Ticker>
  • Soon2BMrsNSoon2BMrsN member
    edited November 2014
    Depends on the day. Some days, I drink tons of water and my appetite isn't too bad and/or I make healthy choices and other days (like today), I've had maybe 40 oz of straight water, 3 cups of coffee, not a single fruit or veggie, and too much Halloween candy. I'm losing weight, just not very quickly. Still in maternity or stretchy pants. :(

Edited for spelling.
  • Also, what is "Truckeresk"???
  • Trucker-esque?

I've cut out so many categories of food to address LO's protein intolerances that I struggle to get enough fat. Corn chips and pop chips are a staple of my diet these days. I'm always hungry. Thank god for Trader Joe's and all their allergy-friendly snack options- some of them even taste good.
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was just saying I feel like I'm eating like a teenage boy! I'm stopping by bojangles every morning for a chicken biscuit and large sweet tea ( some mornings I'll even get a boberry biscuit too). I never ate breakfast before- I eat a thing of oatmeal and a fruit for lunch ( all 20 minutes of time) and then a balanced dinner. Dh is going low carb, but I have to have the oatmeal and I'm not advertising my newfound breakfast love ! I'm down 25 of my 50 pregnancy pounds.
  • @danipg I'm not a huge fan of plain water either.  I do like fizzy things, though, and the soda stream has been the best thing for me.  I don't like just the plain fizzy water, either, so I do add flavors, but I keep them to the "light" or "diet" flavors and I usually put about 3/4 of what it actually calls for.  Right now I can't get enough of the diet grapefruit.  I have at least a (1 liter) bottle a day of just that.  I mix it up with a v-8 fruit blend flavor, diet lemonade, and diet cranberry for my other bottle.  The cranberry is also good for an evening cocktail.  Just add vodka and some lime!
  • Im always hungry...I drink 2-3 bottles of water a day plus a coffee first thing in the morning and sometimes a pot of tea in the afternoon
  • I eat like a hobbit.

My day: Nurse, Breakfast & coffee, nurse, second breakfast, nurse, lunch, nurse, second lunch, nurse, dinner, nurse, snack, snack, nurse, sleep.

I don't know how much water I drink... a lot? I need to drink more though, I know I'm not getting enough.

I do know I get at least 1,000cal extra for nursing twins, and that sounds fabulous but I'M HUNGRY even after meeting that. Always hungry. So hungry. I need to get more creative with what I eat, and find some healthier snacks. I definitely need to cut out, or cut down, on sugary drinks. I am not gaining weight really, but I am most certainly not loosing any either. I've been trying to log into MFP and keep track of things, it allows extra calories (+ fat, protein, and carbs) for BFing under food dairy, so I add that in... it's hard though.

Where do change the setting for nursing in MFP? I can't find it :/

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ah, trucker-esque. Didn't even occur to me ... I was tired yesterday. Carry on. :)
  • Hungry all the time. I think I could eat ALL day long if I let myself. I also got my sweet tooth back (it was MIA while pregnant). I eat like a hobbit too and want all the delicious home cooked foods. That's why I started meal planning. It's saving us money to plan out home cooked meals, I know what we are having, and we are eating out less. But I may make the occasional store run for a splurge of a snack attack ;)

@bullybutt‌ your comment made me think of this video..haha (love the yearly Jimmy Kimmel videos)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1NDkVx9AzSY
  • Nichole8787Nichole8787 member
    edited November 2014
    Thank you all for validating me. Now I don'T feel as bad for the insane amount of food I eat
    image.
  • I have a Bubba cup that holds 52oz and I can easily drink 3 a day. On days I work out (read: go on a 3 mile walk) I drink 4. As far as my food intake. I'm taking in calories, eating healthy 90% of the time but it's definitely more per serving than I should eat. I keep cut up veggies and cheese and if I feel hungry I'll grab some to much on. That's only after I drink water to see if I am 'really' hungry.
    I eat a late bfast usually eggs w/ veggies, turkey sausage, and toast. Lunch is usually small like a salad or lemon pepper tuna packet over brown rice cup or homemade chicken caesar wrap. Dinner is usually big but healthy like pasta topped with a protein (shrimp or chicken) tossed in EVOO, lemon juice, and shredded parm cheese, or homemade turkey or chicken meatballs with rice and a veggie. And after bath time before DS goes to bed I'm eating 1/2c-1c of oatmeal. I always tend to
    drink a 52oz mug of water between each meal.

AW: I have lost about 12lbs since my 6w PP doc visit. And I have a plan to lose another 10lbs by Christmas. So for now I will dream of pizza and Mexican food.

ZBC 11/2012 & SNC 7/2014

bridemaids angry penis annie

• I would love to eat all of the things, but L has a sensitivity to dairy and possibly eggs. It has really cut down on what I can eat, so I've actually managed to lose most of my baby weight. I also just started back to my stroller fitness group, so I'm hoping that will take care of the last stubborn 10 pounds.

• I'm always hungry and have lost all the baby weight due to exclusively breast feeding, thank you baby, best diet ever! I take a water bottle with me wherever I go, but I'm not sure exactly how much I drink. Every time I nurse I get an insane water craving and have to gulp down a glass. I start every day with a packet of instant oatmeal, sometimes two. Then an hour later I need a mid morning snack followed by an early lunch and healthy dinner.
  • I'm always hungry. Usually I eat my plate and I'm still wanting more, which never used to happen. I know I'm not drinking enough water right now, but they started keeping our office freezing cold the last two weeks and it's hard for me to drink cold water when I'm freezing all day.
  • My appetite comes and goes. But I blame that on my digestive system still adjusting to not having a gallbladder anymore. Sometimes (not often) I'm forcing myself to eat because i don't realize I haven't eaten until I go to pump and realize I'm not making much milk.

But I will say, LO and I seem to be on the same page with growth spurts. I always know when she's hitting one because I am starving and will eat all day long.

Not sure how much water I drink, but I am sure it isn't as much as I should be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"