June 2015 Moms
Options

Diclegis users-- come in please!

I'm not finding the love, y'all. 

I took my first dose on Saturday morning, and was nausea free for all of 4 hours. After that, it slowly ramped up until it was back in full force by 5pm.

After reading the dosing instructions on my sample box, I took my second dose last night (around 8:30pm). I woke up hungry this morning, but now am feeling fully nauseated all over again.

What say you? Is this something that needs to be taken regularly (ie- each day) to get the benefit? (I'm not sure I'm okay with that) Or does it just not work for some people? 

I'm really only interested in taking medication on days where I truly need to be fully present. The last week in November is one of those weeks where I would love to be nausea-free most of the time. It's DD's birthday, Thanksgiving, and my b-day, and my family is visiting. I'd rather not be laying on the sofa wishing to not be nauseated, if you know what I mean.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Diclegis users-- come in please!

• Options
    My doctor said I could take 2 at bedtime, 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon if need be. I did this for many days and really had no relief. I am now on zofran and take it once a day and feel a world of difference. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mclanin28
    With DD, I took zofran occasionally during the day and phenegran at night. Those both seemed to work better than this one. :: sigh ::

The dosing instructions on the sample box say something similar to what you outlined "take two at bedtime, if you wake feeling nauseated, take one more, if you again feel sick, take one more, etc" I didn't want to go through all 12 pills in the sample if it wasn't going to help. Also, I'm not very comfortable taking that many pills a day, every day. With DD, I was nauseated (to varying degrees) for the entire pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take 2 at night 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon, and i really feel fine. I notice that if i go to long without eating i still do get sick but it is a lot better then it was before

Married 11/12/2011
    EDD 06/07/2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mclanin28 said:
    My doctor said I could take 2 at bedtime, 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon if need be. I did this for many days and really had no relief. I am now on zofran and take it once a day and feel a world of difference. 
    I took this dosage ^ and was too tired.  I find just two before bed help me.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    mamahawk12mamahawk12 member
    edited November 2014
    Yes, you need to take it regularly. It's not like zofran where you only take it when you're feeling the symptoms. You should start with two before bed. If needed, one more in the morning, and one more in the afternoon. I only take the two before bed because it makes me super drowsy and I find it wears off around 6 or so. My doctor said it takes your body a couple days to adjust to each dosage to feel the maximum benefit so don't count it out after the first few days.... especially if you're taking it as directed.

I have been on it for six days and felt a world of difference (not cured, but not puking either) and forgot to fill my rx last night and was back to puking this morning.

ETA - zofran is meant to treat the symptoms of morning sickness. diclegis is meant to prevent morning sickness all together.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options
    @mamahawk12
    :) I was hoping you would chime in. I don't know if this is for me, then, since it seems like you need to commit to taking it daily to get the full benefit. Ah well.

I guess I'll send a message and ask for a refill on the zofran, then. 

Thank you, all, for your input on this!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH went with me to my first appointment and my DR made it VERY clear that it needs to be taken regular before symptoms even start to make sure you have the full affect. I did not take my 2nd dose yesterday afternoon on time and felt like shit for a good 2 hours until it fully got back into my system.  If you are a person who doesn't like taking medicine on the regular I wouldnt suggest taking this then. 

Married 11/12/2011
    EDD 06/07/2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @dkleid
    I don't think my MW conveyed that to me, honestly, because yes, I don't care to take medicines daily so that would have raised a flag.

It's okay, though. I'm happy it's another option to help with morning sickness, even if it's not for me personally. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    NoeliaV said:
    @mamahawk12
    :) I was hoping you would chime in. I don't know if this is for me, then, since it seems like you need to commit to taking it daily to get the full benefit. Ah well.

I guess I'll send a message and ask for a refill on the zofran, then. 

Thank you, all, for your input on this!
    Yes, you do need to take it regularly. Is there a reason you don't want to? It's a class A drug, so it's just as safe as your prenatals. (nothing else is in that category)

• Options
    Yeah, it seems like you do need to be taking it regularly to get the real benefit.  That said, this really is just unisom with B6 in a time release coating.  I take 1.5 pills at night.  The full pill deals with my am nausea and the 1/2 pill deals with my pm nausea.  If I need an extra dose during the day then I will take a 1/2 pill which will act fairly quickly.  The coating only times the release (hence the multiple pills at multiple times during the day).  If you cut the pill to break the coating then you get something that will act faster.  I want to be on as little as absolutely possible.  This is how I've made it work for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mamahawk12
    I think if I was so sick that I was unable to keep down fluids, then I'd consider it more strongly. But, with DD, I was nauseated/vomiting to some degree during the entire pregnancy, so I'm thinking I'd have to take this for the next 30+ weeks and I'm really not comfortable doing so. (even though it's in the same class as our pre-natals).

For me, at this moment, nausea relief falls into the nice-if-I-can-get-it-but-not-necessary category.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Fair enough, just curious :) I throw up every morning for about an hour straight without it, and then continue to feel terrible for the rest of the day. I was sick with both of mine for about 22 weeks, so I feel you on the extended nausea. WTF? Remind me when I say I want to go for #4 ;)

• Options
    I've been debating using my diclegis for the past week because I tend to feel like @NoeliaV about taking meds, but this post has been very helpful. I'm definitely considering it now. I'm getting to my nausea breaking point.

Married 10/9/2009

The beautiful Royelle Marie born 2/7/2012

Baby #2 coming June 11, 2015 (Scheduled CS)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @mamahawk12
    Extended nausea can kiss my behind. <--- said lovingly, of course. The symptoms reassure my PGAL brain, but I really don't like feeling sick all.the.time. With DD, there was much vomiting, but this one has less, thank goodness. I'm sorry you're so sick without the medicine. 

The nausea/morning sickness does wear one down :) I asked DH last night if it was bad that I'm crossing my fingers so so so hard that this ends around 12/13w instead of continuing like it did with DD. He said no, which was comforting.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just FYI - I took zofran for my MS during my first pregnancy. I called and asked for a script because apparently I can't get lucky enough to skip the sickness. My dr will no longer prescribe zofran for MS because there are recent studies indicating it may cause birth defects. Coincidentally, my DD was born with heart defects. I will obviously never be able to prove causation, but I know that I won't touch zofran while pregnant ever again. After learning of the zofran complications I was against Diclegis, particularly bc it required I take it every day & not simply when needed. I expressed my concern to my dr and she said that Diclegis is the ONE drug she'd feel safe prescribing (given my apprehension) and that it is a category A drug (zofran is category B). I was throwing up 10+ times/day, so I caved. I am taking 4 pills per day, & although I don't feel "fabulous" I am simply nauseated with vomiting from time to time rather than spending all day in the bathroom. I just wanted to offer my experience as a momma who has taken both zofran and Diclegis :)
  • Options
    I have recently started taking Diclegis too, Zofran was not recommended by my nurse due to it being in Cat. B - so far it helps about 60% of the time. I also am taking B6 after lunch. I only take the Diclegis before bed. It helps me sleep and wake up with an appetite. I know we are all a little different, some more severe than others, so find what works for you and talk to your nurse/Doc...I am happy about this Diclegis, as it does seem to be pretty safe. Good luck ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"