February 2015 Moms
Options

Accidently consumed raw honey

I didn't realize Sprecher Rootbeer had honey in it. Not only does it have honey, but the honey is raw. I'm paranoid now, since I've been drinking about one a day for the past 3 weeks (I am 24 weeks along). I haven't been sick at all, but I don't think there is anything I can do about it now, just be more careful about my labels in the future. Anyone able to offer reassurance?

Re: Accidently consumed raw honey

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Izzy0927 said:

Since you are an adult human and not a newborn baby (I'm assuming based on your grasp of basic English and the manual dexterity it took to type that), you're good. Based on a quick google of Sprecher Rootbeer, it looks like it's pasteurized, so the raw part doesn't really matter. Enjoy all the rootbeer you like.

ETA: (unless the label says somethign different about pasteurization). Also, I'm doubtful that there's even that much honey in one bottle of soda, so the amount of potential bacteria would be TINY. Either way, I'm still thinking you're fine and you can keep consuming the root beer.

I think she about covered it. I just wanted to say thanks for making me crave rootbeer now after reading this. YOU DID THIS TO ME! ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

@jennjilljoite said it way better than I could but I'm pretty sure the only real danger of unpasteurized cheeses and honey (and raw sushi and rare beef) is that when you are pregnant you are more susceptible to foodborne illness. So if you haven't gotten sick, you're fine. If it makes you feel better to steer clear from now on, great. But I don't think there's any damage done.

• Options

Thank you, this does offer a lot of reassurance. I couldn't find anything online that says Sprecher honey is pasteurized. I like many other kinds of root beer, so I'll probably just switch. Probably not great to drink too much anyway, so much sugar.

• Options
    I didn't know you shouldn't have honey while pregnant.
  • Options
    I only thought you weren't supposed to give honey to actual infants.
  • Options
    I consume raw, unpasteurized honey on an almost daily basis. Do some research. Everything I found said it was fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think honey is one of the items that just recently moved off the "do not eat" list to the "eat with caution" list because there are a lot of professionals who still recommend against it.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I drink Sprecher root beer all of the time. Oh, and I eat lots of feta too. Like every day.

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    I eat it allll the time I didn't even think that you couldn't. I usually eat it on my raw fish wrapped in lunch meat but I'm a rebel like that.
    Have you tried it with feta? ;)

Or goat cheese??? ::::Drool::::

• Options
    I also have raw honey in my tea almost every day.  Not worried about it at all and will continue to enjoy it.  Supposedly it helps with kidney stones and I can use all the help I can get!
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Options

I consume raw, unpasteurized honey on an almost daily basis. Do some research. Everything I found said it was fine.

This is from the Mayo Clinic, the number one hospital in Minnesota, and one of the most advanced in the nation.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/honey/safety/hrb-20059618

"Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

There is a lack of scientific evidence on the use of honey during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Honey may contain contaminants that may be harmful to pregnant or breastfeeding women, or to unborn babies."

I don't believe that this means if you eat it, you are automatically doing harm. It's just one of those safe than sorry things.

Thank you for the laugh about the honey on raw fish, deli meat, and feta...... while sitting in a hot bath and getting your nails done.

• Options
    I feel like I should clarify by the way that I really don't have a single food I avoid, other than alcohol, and I think that every OBGYN is different on this. I eat honey too and I'm not sure if it's raw or not, but I buy from a good grocery store and store it and serve it properly and within its expiration period.
  • Options
    @izzy0927 - Oooh! That would be SUCH a better screen name!!! If I had known I'd be so active on this site I would have tried for a hipper sassier name... oh well : )
  • Options
    @Jensoprano82‌ it's a good thing your avatar is a dog wearing sunglasses, because that makes up for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married August 2009

BFP#1 12/19/13 * EDD 8/24/14 * MMC Discovered 2/04/14

BFP#2 5/27/14 * EDD 2/8/15 * Please be our rainbow

• Options
    Alygohome said:
    No baths or getting your nails done? Boy I suck at this pregnant thing.
    Me too I'm sitting in the bath right now. I'm pretty sure I got a list of what I couldn't eat or do when I first saw my doctor but I must have left it in my car or something. I figure as long as I'm not doing jagger bombs or smoking crack I'm doing a'ok.
    Oh shit, is crack a no-no? That wasn't on the list from my doc!!!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    lizzybean said:

Alygohome said:

Ducktale said:

No baths or getting your nails done? Boy I suck at this pregnant thing.

Me too I'm sitting in the bath right now. I'm pretty sure I got a list of what I couldn't eat or do when I first saw my doctor but I must have left it in my car or something. I figure as long as I'm not doing jagger bombs or smoking crack I'm doing a'ok.

Oh shit, is crack a no-no? That wasn't on the list from my doc!!!!

Yeah and I guess you shouldn't jump on trampolines either.
  • Options
    Ive done a few things I'm not supposed to be doing because of the baby, like doing my own acrylic nails, taking super hot showers (because my OCD breaks if I don't), drinking Passion Tea Lemonades (apparently the Hibiscus in the passion tea is bad for you), switched from a prenatal vitamin to normal vitamins because the prenatals were making me sick, taking a whole unisom at night instead of half of one because half does nothing, washing with a fragrant body wash, eating raw cookie dough....the list goes on, but like @Alygohome said, as long as I am not doing body shots of tequila or doing meth, I'd say I'm fine
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    lynnz52lynnz52 member
    edited November 2014

It was a joke, holy crap. Superior really? I took a bath tonight! But yea.. I've been told no baths over 98 degrees, along with no hot tubs. And certain finger nail polishes have some chemical that's not good. And you can't dye your hair. And you can't go down waterslides, or go in haunted houses.

Another forum I was reading ripped a woman a new one for even asking about N/A beer. I was joking around with my husband about how I read in a blog that you shouldn't drink root beer because it has the word "beer" in it, and you don't want to take any chances!

The reason I asked about the honey, is it is difficult to tell what is really harmful and what is just overkill. I mean they tell us in the U.S. no sushi, but I've read it is apart of Japanese culture, and pregnant women commonly eat it there.

• Options
    My BIL is a beekeeper so we eat raw honey all the time. Had no idea it could even be bad. I'll continue to eat it.

But I also take baths, eat lunch meat, helped move cows, done the zip line (we have a huge one installed at my ILs, y'all be jealous we're kinda like duck dynasty), had my fair share of caffeine, eaten feta cheese, painted the nursery, stained furniture...

You name it. I still don't think I'm a bad mom. I just think I'm reasonable about what I avoid. Like meth, crack, smoking, etc. Ps. I'm going to vaccinate my child.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Alygohome said:

I eat it allll the time I didn't even think that you couldn't. I usually eat it on my raw fish wrapped in lunch meat but I'm a rebel like that.

Confession: I eat lunch meat sandwiches all the time... :-/

Married 9/10/11 * BFP 6/9/14 * EDD 1/25/15

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Honestly, I mean I just want to try to do the best I can for my baby. It's my first, so whatever I can do I will do. If that means not eating honey or lunch meat, fine whatever I can do that. I think that doctors have to error on the side of caution.

But it seems silly for me to get upset about something that cleary many women do and it has no effects. So I just wanted to hear from everyone that I would be fine, which I have now.

I imagine that one of the biggest risks a mother and her baby take is getting in the car and driving to work everyday, but it's not like you can go ahead and not do that for the rest of your life.

• Options
    This thread made me feel so much better. I was talking to my mom the other day and said "I'm not supposed to eat soft cheeses... but what kind of life is that??" And then we laughed and enjoyed a delicious Cowgirl Creamery cheese plate together.
    image-image-image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Third time mama here who eats lunch meat, queso dip, paints her nails and dyed my hair all three times. My babies are just fine.
  • Options
    If you're evaluating risk during your pregnancy, I found this to be a really interesting article (excerpt from Expecting Better by Emily Oster).
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/08/thinking-about-pregnancy-like-an-economist/278874/

Married August 2009

BFP#1 12/19/13 * EDD 8/24/14 * MMC Discovered 2/04/14

BFP#2 5/27/14 * EDD 2/8/15 * Please be our rainbow

• Options
    I've recently just taken to reading research articles in medical journals etc if things really bother me. So far, many of the nono's have actually been proved to be more safe than eating chicken (and no one is telling us not to do that). For me it's about the statistics, is it a cultural bias, what is the occurrence rate, etc. So for now I absorb the judgy looks I get when I go for sushi (twice now) or take a sip from my husbands beer when we go out, don't ask for them the leave the feta off my salad (most feta cheeses here have been pasteurized anyway), and have no intention of getting rid of my cats. Oh, and I use raw honey in my tea frequently. And eat my yolks a bit runny. The eggs come out of my backyard coop.
  • Options
    lynnz52 said:

This is from the Mayo Clinic, the number one hospital in Minnesota, and one of the most advanced in the nation.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/honey/safety/hrb-20059618

"Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

There is a lack of scientific evidence on the use of honey during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Honey may contain contaminants that may be harmful to pregnant or breastfeeding women, or to unborn babies."

I don't believe that this means if you eat it, you are automatically doing harm. It's just one of those safe than sorry things.

Thank you for the laugh about the honey on raw fish, deli meat, and feta...... while sitting in a hot bath and getting your nails done.

I prefer to trust research performed by the National Institutes of Health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2860824/
  • Options
    This makes me so thankful for my doctor. Everything I've asked about that's not food related (hair color, nail polish, etc.), she has told me "as long as you don't drink it."
  • Options
    I work with a girl who critiques everything I eat while pregnant. Oh that delicious Italian bmt from subway? that's terrible you might die, eating salmon sandwich? OMG the mercury! getting vaccines? Poisoning your child!. Yet she eats processed fast food and junk like..every single day. I don't think this girl even knows what a vegetable is.
  • Options
    FTR, no honey is pasteurized. It's filtered, but not heated. Raw honey is just not filtered. And really, there is no standardization on what raw honey legally is.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options

The only thing my Midwife made me promise not to do was to go on forums or believe anything I read on the internet. :p

It's just nice for the discussions and support sometimes. 

I had a SCH early in pregnancy and it scared the crap out of me because I had no idea what was going on, I thought it was a miscarriage. The doctors didn't give me a lot of information, so I'm grateful for the forums. Although, you do have to use your best judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"