Parenting
Options

Obama RI speech - SAHMs

I don't think this has been discussed here yet -

Obama gave a speech Friday in RI (transcript here: https://m.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/10/31/remarks-president-women-and-economy-providence-ri)

The key message, as I understand it, is equal pay for equal work and affordable, high-quality childcare. However, there is a line that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way:

THE PRESIDENT: "...And too often, parents have no choice but to put their kids in cheaper daycare that maybe doesn’t have the kinds of programming that makes a big difference in a child’s development. And sometimes there may just not be any slots, or the best programs may be too far away. And sometimes, someone, usually mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result. And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make."

Some people take that to mean that Obama doesn't support SAHMs. I agree that it was probably a poor choice in wording, but I think (hope) he meant that he doesn't want families to be forced to have one partner stay at home because of the lack of affordable, quality childcare.

Thoughts?

Re: Obama RI speech - SAHMs

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not sure what the objection is.  There is plenty of data to show that lifetime earnings potential is negatively impacted by dropping out of the workforce for an extended period.  Pretty sure everything he said is completely factual.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue here. I feel like some may be grasling at straws. I don't see an issue with the point he's trying to convey or his wording at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got what he meant... +1 on the reaching thing.

And I'm not even an Obama fan.  

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options

A FB friend of mine flipped out over this. She says people SAH because they want to, not because they have to. A friend of hers commented that people SAH because daycares are corrupt. So much WTF in one status.

I agree with Pobrecita. This is not poor wording, it's poor comprehension.

Agreed, poor comprehension seems to be the culprit. Some people SAH bc they want to, some SAH bc they have to (financially it makes more sense), and for some, its a combo of both.

In our situation, we chose for me to SAH not only bc I want to, but bc it makes no sense financially for me to work (with the exception of me working PT at night a few nights a week).
  • Options
    pobrecita said:

"people" like on your FB feed?

This, but even when I was doing a Google search to find an actual reputable news source about the speech, most of what I could find were editorial pieces saying "Obama Claims America Doesn't Want SAHMs." Obviously I considered the source, which is why I'm curious about how other people took it.
  • Options
    @sterling13, the link in my newsfeed was this:

https://www.livingwhole.org/staying-at-home-is-not-a-choice-we-want-americans-to-make/

The problem is that I like seeing pics of this friend's family and things like that, but almost every article or repost she shares makes me angry. Is there a setting on FB where you can see original content from people but not any links or other shares?
  • Options
    I have a list of people that I had to unfollow, and I'll occasionally go to their profile page so I can see recent pictures they've posted.  It's a lot more work, but at least I don't have to look at delightful articles like that.  

@bunnyfungo and @lovethatdirtywater Now I like this group even better!  I'll stick around.  :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    edited November 2014
    It's like when he said ISIS is not Islamic and you saw all the memes of people saying 'THEN WHY IS IT IN THEIR NAME?!?!!?!?!?!?!'

Just because they call themselves Islamic does not mean they are in fact Islamic.  Considering it's a religion based on peace, they definitely are not.  Just like how some Christians call themselves Christian but don't really act it.

Post 9/11 West Wing, anyone? Islamic extremists are to Islam what the KKK is to Christianity.

Season 3, Episode 1

One of my favorite West Wing episodes. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"