Special Needs
Options

Help with this Sensory Issue: DS will NOT wear pants in freezing cold weather! HELP!

I have NO idea what to do:  My 7 y/o ADHD/Anxiety/Sensory/Mood son will NOT wear pants to school or outside when it is freezing cold.  The temps have been in the 30's and it is NOT appropriate for him to be outside in shorts and tee's. 
This is what we have done so far: 
---Allowed him to wear shorts INSIDE, but when he goes outside, he has to put his athletic pants on OVER his shorts.
---Purchased spandex athletic pants (compression ones) so he can wear those (like a second skin) and then wear his shorts/pants over them, but he ended up rolling them up AND kids at school were making fun of him (he did look weird)
---Made a thermometer graphic that showed when he MUST wear pants...no argument...  That lasted 3 days...and each day was a huge argument. 
---Allowed him to wear shorts on those cold days...and it does not phase him and he gets made fun of at school for wearing shorts, with a huge winter coat, etc.  But HE is happy and allegedly not cold...but he looks weird. 

His psychologist is on maternity leave and his social skills doc has peers coming up with ideas for him which have been three weeks of "breathe" or "drink a glass of water!"  

I need CONCRETE ideas.  I just got a call from his teacher that he was VERY upset just now that he HAD to wear pants to recess since its so cold.  She is asking me for more ideas and I have NONE. 

If you have any other ideas...I would be grateful!  I am currently trying to find those pants that detach to make shorts, BUT they all have zippers and he will not wear things with zippers.  

Thanks in advance!  

Re: Help with this Sensory Issue: DS will NOT wear pants in freezing cold weather! HELP!

• Options
    hopecountshopecounts member
    edited November 2014
    What is his issue with wearing pants?
    Is it he doesn't like the feel of heavier fabric (jeans/khakis/etc)?
    Doesn't like the feel of fabric on his lower legs? 
    which based on the rolling up of the other pants is my guess. 

Would one of these work better for him?

this would be a battle I would fight, if it means getting him up earlier so he can fight it and get over then I would do it. 
    This is a health/safety issue, it's becoming a significant social issue, and it will quickly impact the activities he is able to participate in (Boy Scouts, Sports, Band, etc). 
    Being able to be involved in activities with classmates will help him create a group of peers who are looking out for him and may reduce the amount of teasing/bullying he receives or give him the support of friends if he is teased/bullied.
    He is heading into some prime bullying and teasing ages so you need to deal with this quickly.

Since this sounds like a pretty widespread issue I might even look into bringing ABA into the program and working with them to address some of his refusal to wear certain things issues. We tend to address sensory stuff from a behavorial perspective with OT brought in as a side to assist. Mainly because it isn't realistic to expect to avoid/seek all sensory input so better to learn to deal with it sooner then later.

Is he working with an Occupational Therapist?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    His hates things on his ankles and knees.  He hates the long sleeves around his wrists and elbows.  Since he was a tot, he undressed the sec we got into the house.  He has always disliked khaki type stuff, jeans, things with zippers and strings.  His clothes are mainly under armor/nike type "swishy" pants.  When we have a holiday or a reason that a button shirt/ dressy pants are necessary, we make him wear those clothes about a week ahead of time, increasing the length he is in them, and then we reward heavily.  Once he is wearing them, he is OK for about 30 minutes...and then we usually allow him to change (if at someones house) when he gets bad. 

We are not working with an OT as the school said he does not need one.  I have disagreed.  They are also not allowing him sensory breaks since they took him off his IEP. (A MAJOR regret that I have!) He see's an developmental/Behavioral Pedi for his meds, he is about to have a psychological eval in two weeks to just see where he is at, he is seeing a social skills trainer bi weekly.  I think an OT is going to be necessary at this point again.  Do I fight the school or just go out of pocket and do it on our own?  Can you tell me more about ABA?  Is there a doc that does that or is that something we can do with him?  From the little research I have done on it, is this the floor time thing? (sorry for my ignorance on ABA!)  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for sending that website...i will look into it.  
  • Options
    Your Welcome, we've gotten a few things for DD from there and been pleased.

ABA (applied behavioral analysis) is done by or under a BCBA (board certified behavioral analyst) and is used to correct/teach behaviors. 
    Ours worked to get DD used to hair dryers and vacuums and the moo sound (the few sensory avoiding issues she had), to handle certain situations without sensory seeking (mainly movement/mouthing but some other stims)
    ABA can vary greatly depending on the tone of the BCBA(s) in the group. DD's out patient ABA from last year was a mix of floortime and ABA drills. Her current has more of an 'ABA' feel because they do table work for 15 minute segments throughout the day but still has some floortime when she is in the classroom the rest of the day, they still use ABA principles but it is more play based.

I would go out of pocket, the educational need for OT can make getting him sensory OT difficult in a school setting. 
    I would push for an eval by the school via requesting it in writing to reopen the possibility of an IEP. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks Auntie!
  • Options
    We have gone through this with DS1 every season change.  He has issues going from shorts to pants and pants to shorts, same with shirts. This is a a fight I have because it can easily get to 100 in summer and -15-20 in winter. I remember when it was the last day of school when he was three. Everyone had gone to a park to play and it was 95 out. He was the only kid in pants and long sleeves. The parents were all talking about him, and I'm sure they thought I was crazy. I knew it was only a matter of years until the kids started noticing. 

I slowly transitioned him into pants/shorts by having him wear them for very short periods of time and usually when we were doing something to keep him busy. Like going shopping or to the park. I would give him a choice of two pairs of pants and tell him he has to choose one and after his activity then he could change back. He usually he wouldn't choose so I would say o.k then I will choose for you. After a while we extended the length he had to wear them. So I would have him wear them to the park and then once home he had to stay in them until after lunch. 

Once he transitioned, about twice a month I would have him wear whatever clothing type that wasn't appropriate for a short period of time to get him to continue being used to the feeling. This helped when the next season came. For example, during winter I make sure at least a couple times a month he wears a t-shirt and shorts. It's always when we are at home so if its cold I just make sure to adjust our heat a little. I also usually choose days where it might be a little warmer out so our house wouldn't be so cold. 

I do the same in the summer. I have him wear pants and long sleeves. I try to choose a day when it's a little cooler, or a day when we will be inside a place with a.c. 

Once I started doing this, season changes have been fine for him. I do adjust a little since he runs a lot warmer than me. I also leave hats and gloves mostly up to him. So he feels he has a say in something. 

• Options
    DS is 5.

He has to wear what he sees in his closet. In DS's closet, he has cotton pants, sweat pants, athletic pants, a pair of jeans and a pair of cargo pants. He does love the cotton pants from Garanimals but soon he will outgrow that brand. DS will pick a pair of pants and a shirt and sometimes he matches and sometimes he doesn't.

All shorts and tank tops are put away in a garbage bag for next summer. I have yet to put away pajamas that are shorts but it has been hot some nights lately.

I am with fredalina.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"